• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth187

Elizabeth187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am quitting cold turkey and would like to discuss this and other Cymbalta related problems with others in the same situation.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:55 AM

So, I was on Cymbalta from early 2006 to September of this year. The reason I quit taking it was because I had lost my insurance and couldn't really afford it, plus I was becoming paranoid about the long-term effects of taking this drug, about it permanently creating brain problems.

I don't know how well this will be taken in this board, but it worked for my depression, and the withdrawals, although not pleasant, only lasted a month, and at this point I think I need to be back on a medication. However, I'm still afraid of the long-term effects and have heard about the possibility that it may be compromising my brain's ability to ever function normally, but I haven't been able to find any studies about this, just people saying it on other message boards. Anyway, if someone knows about this, I would appreciate any information.

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hi Elizabeth

It's good that Cymbalta worked really well for you. Aropax (Paxil) is my 'wonder drug' despite the stories I've heard of how it has negatively affected others. We are wired differently and what works for one may not work for another. The main thing is that you found something that worked for you.

As far as possible long-term damage, I don't think it has ever been properly studied. Since drug companies fund most(all?) of the research, they are only going to fund what makes their drug look good. In terms of clinical trials and what they call 'discontinuation syndrome', they all seem to be short-term (as far as I know). So the only 'evidence' you will get about long term effects is anecdotal.

What I have learned, from posting at another board (Paxil Progress) is that many people suffer withdrawal effects for months - in some cases, years, after coming off an anti-depressant. That is not the case for all as those who have no problems don't seek our forums, obviously. Sometimes everything is fine for a few months, then they suffer waves of .. i don't know, withdrawal effects. But the good news is that everyone heals. In time.

If you are feeling like you need to go back on medication, it could be that your brain is still healing. My recommendation would be to seek our natural supplements (under a qualifed alternative practitioner, like a naturopath) and see if that helps.

Kind regards
Junior

#3 Elizabeth187

Elizabeth187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am quitting cold turkey and would like to discuss this and other Cymbalta related problems with others in the same situation.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hi Junior, thanks for answering my question. I think I'll try going back into therapy first and really try to be vigilant about my supplements before gong back on Cymbalta. I'm not at the point where I know I have to go back on a med for depression -- yet, anyway. Thanks again.

#4 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi Junior, thanks for answering my question. I think I'll try going back into therapy first and really try to be vigilant about my supplements before gong back on Cymbalta. I'm not at the point where I know I have to go back on a med for depression -- yet, anyway. Thanks again.

You're welcome :)

I forgot to mention that some people have little or no withdrawal effects initially then get hit with a wave several months down the track. I'm not saying that is you. Just giving you the info.

The other thing is... the mindset. Adjusting to life without the feeling that medication is supporting us. I know that is going to be a big thing for me and to be honest, I haven't addressed it yet :D

Regards
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users