• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loribeth

Loribeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 60mg Cymbalta since 2003. I have asked my pdoc if I could come off several times. He has warned me repeatedly of the "syndrome" that happens with withdraw. My official start day is the 12th of February.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Fibromyalgia after you started the Cymbalta? I feel as if the Cymbalta has either caused the FM or made it worse? I'm new to the list and am getting ready to come off of the drug. Am I going to need to find a local 12 step program just to get through this detox? I've been on 60mg Cymbalta since 2003.
Lori

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

Hi Loribeth

I don't know about the fibromyalgia but I do know that you need to wean off Cymbalta slowly. ALso, it's not about detoxing as it's not about how long it takes for the drug to be out of your system, it's how long it takes for your brain to return to its pre-medication way of functioning. Some people can get off a/ds quickly with few problems but Cymbalta seems to be one of the more difficult ones.

As for the size of the dose reductions, it is difficult to say because people are different. I'd probably recommend dropping 10mg at first and see how you go.

Let us know how you go
Junior

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Fibromyalgia after you started the Cymbalta? I feel as if the Cymbalta has either caused the FM or made it worse? I'm new to the list and am getting ready to come off of the drug. Am I going to need to find a local 12 step program just to get through this detox? I've been on 60mg Cymbalta since 2003.
Lori

Lori,
Please go to this site htpp://www,prozac.com/cymbalta.htm
This is a list of all the things one can have on the drug
even if it is a withdrawl symptom list.

I could be wrong, but you are probally just feeling the side
effects of this stupid drug.

Please know that going to a 12 step meeting will not do you
any harm, as this is a drug your brain is addicted to, and
you have been on it a very long time. Longer than anyone I
have ever seen.

Take it slow, and take care,
Debbie

#4 Loribeth

Loribeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 60mg Cymbalta since 2003. I have asked my pdoc if I could come off several times. He has warned me repeatedly of the "syndrome" that happens with withdraw. My official start day is the 12th of February.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Debbie,
Thank you for the information. I think I was one of the first groups to get this drug. I was a dancer and a gymnast for 18 years and I've had some serious injuries and surgeries prior to turning 25. I'm 32 now. Along with the depression and anxiety I had significant amounts of pain. The "brain zaps" and "body buzzing" took the pain away. It was like a flush of relief. I think the over all muscle ache is something totally different. I've read some posts about the drug "pooping out" and just not working anymore. I think maybe this is what I've been experiencing for the last few years.

I've been told that I've developed FM and that the cymbalta should help that. It hasn't. I've gained 70lbs and been diagnosed with sleep apnea and carpel tunnel. So, long story short, I'm a mess. I want my old body back, pain or no pain. I've been discussing coming off of the drug for over a year now. I've been letting the doctor continue to tell me that I was doing well on it. At my last visit with the pdoc I was an emotional wreck. He gave me a few valium and said come back in a month when your emotionally stable and we will start to get you off the med.

I still am not off of it, but I am preparing myself. The more information I have the better. I have no idea what my body is going to feel like off of this drug. I'm afraid I already have some memory loss, both short term and long term. Sometimes I find it hard to finish a sentence. To top it off, I am getting ready to start a new job and go back to college. I have have a son in middle school, a husband who needs me, two dogs and a house to take care of. How am I going to go through a withdraw without losing my mind.

One more quick question. Are the "brain zaps" seizures or seizure like? They are not listed anywhere in the side effects of the drug information. Has anyone done an EEG while having the zaps?

Loribeth

Lori,
Please go to this site htpp://www,prozac.com/cymbalta.htm
This is a list of all the things one can have on the drug
even if it is a withdrawl symptom list.
I could be wrong, but you are probally just feeling the side
effects of this stupid drug.

Please know that going to a 12 step meeting will not do you
any harm, as this is a drug your brain is addicted to, and
you have been on it a very long time. Longer than anyone I
have ever seen.

Take it slow, and take care,
Debbie

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Debbie,
Thank you for the information. I think I was one of the first groups to get this drug. I was a dancer and a gymnast for 18 years and I've had some serious injuries and surgeries prior to turning 25. I'm 32 now. Along with the depression and anxiety I had significant amounts of pain. The "brain zaps" and "body buzzing" took the pain away. It was like a flush of relief. I think the over all muscle ache is something totally different. I've read some posts about the drug "pooping out" and just not working anymore. I think maybe this is what I've been experiencing for the last few years.

I've been told that I've developed FM and that the cymbalta should help that. It hasn't. I've gained 70lbs and been diagnosed with sleep apnea and carpel tunnel. So, long story short, I'm a mess. I want my old body back, pain or no pain. I've been discussing coming off of the drug for over a year now. I've been letting the doctor continue to tell me that I was doing well on it. At my last visit with the pdoc I was an emotional wreck. He gave me a few valium and said come back in a month when your emotionally stable and we will start to get you off the med.

I still am not off of it, but I am preparing myself. The more information I have the better. I have no idea what my body is going to feel like off of this drug. I'm afraid I already have some memory loss, both short term and long term. Sometimes I find it hard to finish a sentence. To top it off, I am getting ready to start a new job and go back to college. I have have a son in middle school, a husband who needs me, two dogs and a house to take care of. How am I going to go through a withdraw without losing my mind.

One more quick question. Are the "brain zaps" seizures or seizure like? They are not listed anywhere in the side effects of the drug information. Has anyone done an EEG while having the zaps?

Loribeth

Hi Loribeth

Sorry to say this but it sounds like your Dr knows nothing about a/d withdrawal. This is not unusual! If you are in 'poop out' it simply means that you have developed a tolerance to C and your body is craving a higher dose. By not giving it what it wants, it has effectively gone into withdrawal. If you are wanting to wean off Prozac may help with the withdrawal symptoms. C alters both serotonin and norepinephrine while Prozac only alters serotonin. This would effectively give you relief for the serotonin withdrawal while allowing the body to adjust to being without the norepinephrine boost. Debbie can tell you more about this as she is taking Prozac at present.

I'd be careful with the valium. It is ok to take it from time to time but it is addictive and from what i've heard, benzo withdrawal is far worse than a/d withdrawal. I'd hate to see you have to go down that road.

What you describe about memory problems is, I'm afraid, a common withdrawal symptom. It can also be the effects of the drug itself. I had major probs with short-term memory and concentration when I was on Lexapro. I sometimes still have difficult finding the word I want to use but it is improving all the time.

May I suggest that you brace yourself for the long haul. It's going to take some time but it CAN be done.

Please keep in touch so we can support you :(
Junior

#6 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Debbie,

Loribeth

Loribeth,
I think that all the things your talking about are on that site I gave you!
What is so odd is that I just got dx with sleep apnea the otherday, and now
it makes so much more sense why I keep falling asleep in the am, and then
sleep unti 6:00 pm, and do this for 3-4 days. Then it went away, and is now
back again.

I had thee sleep study, but also found I have both kinds, the other where my
brain does not send a signal for me to even breathe! I did look it up at the
Mayo Clinic, and it sid with that one not even the machine will help. The brain
will still not get the oxygen it needs thus I will be tired, sleepy, all the time.

This has what has been going on for about 4 years now, started when I was on the cymbalta,
I have no doubt that the brain one is caused bt the Cymbalta.

No I don't know of anyone who has had a CT Scan during the brain zaps as they happen so
quickly. I am going to ask for one now that I still am having them, and also because of
this other problem.

Welll just wanted to let you know I have that too, I just caught that you had it just now.

We are going to make it!!!! I do know of a woman who had been a dancer like you, and got
injured doing some of her routines, but she ended up with Reflex Sympathetic Syndrome. I
saw the article, it was a God send, as I had it in my shoulder. Have them check you for this
it is very painful, very!! It might just be that, or again just the horrible withdrawls, or
side effects from this drug. Please reaad that site I gave you,OK!!!

Debbie :(

#7 Loribeth

Loribeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

The cymbalta withdrawal site is almost daunting. I think I have most of the symptoms already. I showed it to my DH and he suggested that I was buying into a problem that I may not even get. True, but I have to be prepared. I work in the health care industry on the administrative side of things. I'm wondering if I could get an EEG or CT done during my withdrawal, or the 48 hour attached like a cap EEG. I have a good friend who is a neuro doc. But that would mean disclosing my health information to potential colleagues or employers. What I should do is find a neuro doc of my own that I have no connection to.

I would think the brain zaps would have shown up on my sleep study. Unless I didn't have any. I usually have them every night at least once a night. I should also get blood work done now and then post withdrawal. Any ideas of other information I should gather prior to this? I'll make myself a case study.(lol)

I'm going to have my doctor look at me for the RSD. I may have it. My nerve sensitivity is off the charts. I can't even get a massage without it hurting. I had my first ruptured disc at 14yo, 2 more before 17yo and a spinal fracture at 24. My coaches would inject me with pain meds and rub horse liniment on my sore joints to compete. Word of advice, don't let your children over do a sport.

I think the constant daily exercise was my antidepressant while I was young. As soon as I was immobile the depression set in. I truly believe that if I was not active I would have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety at a much younger age.

Loribeth

Loribeth,
I think that all the things your talking about are on that site I gave you!
What is so odd is that I just got dx with sleep apnea the otherday, and now
it makes so much more sense why I keep falling asleep in the am, and then
sleep unti 6:00 pm, and do this for 3-4 days. Then it went away, and is now
back again.

I had thee sleep study, but also found I have both kinds, the other where my
brain does not send a signal for me to even breathe! I did look it up at the
Mayo Clinic, and it sid with that one not even the machine will help. The brain
will still not get the oxygen it needs thus I will be tired, sleepy, all the time.

This has what has been going on for about 4 years now, started when I was on the cymbalta,
I have no doubt that the brain one is caused bt the Cymbalta.

No I don't know of anyone who has had a CT Scan during the brain zaps as they happen so
quickly. I am going to ask for one now that I still am having them, and also because of
this other problem.

Welll just wanted to let you know I have that too, I just caught that you had it just now.

We are going to make it!!!! I do know of a woman who had been a dancer like you, and got
injured doing some of her routines, but she ended up with Reflex Sympathetic Syndrome. I
saw the article, it was a God send, as I had it in my shoulder. Have them check you for this
it is very painful, very!! It might just be that, or again just the horrible withdrawls, or
side effects from this drug. Please reaad that site I gave you,OK!!!

Debbie :(

#8 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

I think the constant daily exercise was my antidepressant while I was young. As soon as I was immobile the depression set in. I truly believe that if I was not active I would have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety at a much younger age.

Loribeth

You know, that is highly likely. Studies show that moderate exercise lifts the levels of dopamine and that this, in turn, acts as a protector against depression.

Interesting *rubs chin*

Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users