• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi Angel

I know how scary it is to find you are pregnant while taking a/ds. It happened to me many years ago, although I was on one of the older tricyclics. You'll be relieved to know that my son was born perfectly healthy, with all his fingers and toes :)

I don't know the dangers of C and the developing foetus but I do know that it is NOT a medication you want to cold turkey off. 90mg is a fairly high dose so you will need to wean slowly. Not really sure how to advise you since I can understand the desire to get off C quickly. The usual advice is to drop by @10% each 3-6 weeks but some people find they can either decrease at a greater rate, or more frequently.

I don't know much about Seroquel - it's an antipsychotic isn't it? - but again, the usual advice is to taper off one drug before attempting to taper another.

I don't think anyone wants to be on medication during pregnancy but any attempt to get off these meds too quickly could be more harmful (from all the side effects I've read of, and the stories I've heard from many people) than staying on them for a time.

Pharmacists tend to know about these drugs, and withdrawal than doctors so they might be good people to speak to.

Wish I could help you more :(
All the best
Junior

#2 friskykitty

friskykitty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • why_joining:
    share my story

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

I successfully took effexor (very similar to cymbalta) during pregnancy and delivered a healthy happy baby. I have also read many studies saying that prozac is safe for a fetus. I am pretty sure that cymbalta is ok for the first trimester.

#3 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

I, too, understand about being pregnant while on anti-depressants. I was on Zoloft when I found out I was pregnant. I won't go into all the details, but I can say that my psychiatrist who was an expert on maternal/ pregnancy psychiatry assured me that Zoloft was quite safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding. Even so, I came off during the most vulnerable period, according to him, but went back on. But he also said: the biggest risk for the foetus and newborn, by far, is a depressed and stressed mother. For this, he said, there is abundant evidence. So, that's my two cents. :(

Hey everyone...I found out I was pregnant last week so I am trying to get off my psych meds. I called my psych dr but he couldn't see me until this coming Monday. I was on Seroquel 50mg and Cymbalta 90mg. I immediately stopped taking the Seroquel and was fine with that. (That was more to help me sleep than anything) I lowered my 90mg dose to 60mg that night...and took 60 for a few days...then lowered it to 30mg two nights ago. I feel so weird...and been so dizzy. At first I thought my sugars were out of wack, cause I used to be a insulin depenent diabetic...but that wasn't the case. I just started looking up withdrawal and see lots of stories about the hells of withdrawal from cymbalta. Does anyone have any advice for me? I really don't want to continue taking this category C medication because it isn't good for my baby...but I am not sure if these symptoms are good for the baby either. I think I am only like a month pregnant..also another appointment next week. Again...if anyone has any advice please let me know.

THanks and God Bless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users