• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hi Lisa

Not sure where you got your weaning method from but people find that the "every other day" thing really doesn't work. You are asking your body to get used to lessCymbalta for a day or two, then giving it more. Effectively, you are withdrawing then reintroducing at the same time. All that does is confuse your brain / body. The better method, and more successful in the long run (I've heard this from many many people both here and at another forum I go to - Paxil Progress), is to do a slow taper.

How quickly or slowly one needs to taper is very individual but a consensus that has been reached at Paxil Progress is to do decrease by no more than 10% each time and to wait 3-6 weeks to stabilise (i.e., feel no withdrawal symptoms) before doing another decrease.

Even with a slow taper, some people find using Prozac during the withdrawal process very helpful. Since it is an SSRI only (Cymbalta is an SNRI) it helps with the serotonin wdl while the body adjusts to the norepinephrine one. It is said to be far easier to get off as well since it has a longer half life.

Hope that helps and good luck
Junior

#2 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hi Lisa -
I'm with Junior. You are making this hard for yourself. I experienced the diarrhea and severe anxiety and panic attacks when I was coming off Effexor, but have since learned that even my dr's idea of slow taper was in fact a drastic reduction. It seems to me like you're jerking your body around with the every other day thing. In fact, I am on 30mg every two days but only because my homeopathic remedies are carrying me in between. Even so, I'm planning to reduce by beads at this point, unless my homeopath can provide me with a better idea for the last leg of coming off.

Please: learn from the people on this board. Send NurseDeborah a message for her weaning plan. Slow down and you stand a chance of getting free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users