• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

Hi there amy,
I am a mother.
My daughter 19 had the very same reaction to cymbalta..... Was on nothing before just had generalised anxiety. She started with 60mgs and it was the same pattern as yours. Then she did it for 25 days had gotten a little better and decided she wanted off. started with 30mgs and then said she would go cold turkey because she wanted off. She experienced horrific withdrawels and again all your symptoms. We then went to hospital and doctors and they told us to go back on for three days then every other.. and then every two, 30mgs. It got worse and worse with crying spells, and not caring and numb just like you. she is now in psyche ward resting but still numb and does not care either it has been 10 days with this on off thing.yours is the first I have seen of somebody with similar symptoms. did it get better yet did you get help?

Feeling for you,

Nan

Hi Nan

So sorry to hear of the hell your daughter is enduring. The doctors that presribe modern a/ds just don't seem to understand the withdrawals that MANY people endure. First, a drop from 60-30mg is too big. Second, the 'every other day' thing just doesn't work. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard of people suffering because their dr has recommended that regime, I'd be rich by now!!

Just to help you understand a little better: Modern antidepressants chemically alter brain function. We have neurons which have gaps between them. These gaps are called synapses. Neurons communicate with each other by sending chemical messengers called neurotransmitters across the synapses. Sometimes the sending neuron takes back some of the serotonin or norepinephrine that is not accepted by the receiving neuron - reuptake. A form of recycling. Anyhow, Cymbalta works by down regulating the receptors on the sending neuron to prevent this reuptake. Theoretically this means that the serotonin and norepinephrine stays in the synapse longer giving the receiving neuron more time to accept and process it. Additionally, by altering one or two neurotransmitters, you throw the brain out so it responds by altering the levels of other neurotransmitters to find a new equilibrium. This is why people feel side effects, esp early on.

By dropping the dose too quickly, you are asking the brain to have to adapt too quickly. Hence the reason why a taper is recommended. In addition, the 'every other day' regime confuses the brain. It doesn't know whether to get used to a reduction or not. I really don't know why drs don't know this! I am trained to honours level in psychology, not medicine, and I know this!!

For your daughters sake, please don't let the Drs give her any other a/d or psychiatric drug like an antipsychotic. It will only confuse her brain more. Generally speaking, time will be the best healer for her. Another option could be to go back on the Cymbalta until she finds a dose at which she can stabilise, then do a SLOW taper. By that I mean drops of no more than 10% every 3-6 weeks. Alternatively, some people find natural supplements helpful. Stay away from Vit B as it ramps up the nervous system, something your daughter won't be needing right now. Magnesium is highly recommended. This site might also be helpful for you and your daughter http://www.paxilprog...display.php?f=7

Hang in there. She will get through this
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users