#1 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to quit cymbalta for the 3rd time...need help

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

I just wanted to say that after 4 years of being on Cymbalta and 3-4 attempts of trying to get off this crap....today was my first day with no Cymbalta and NO WITHDRAWALS....I am taking 20MG of Prozac along with lots of Vitamins - Vitamin D - 10,000IU, Magnesium- 500MG and 2 Fish Oil pills a day.....I was taking 60 MG for YEARS and this week went from 60 MG Tuesday, 30 MG Wednesday(no withdrawals) and today nothing, not one capsule....no withdrawals....next, in two weeks I will stop Prozac. I have spoken with my pharmacist and other people and they all say that weaning off Prozac is relatively easy. Nothing like Cymbalta, at all. I have had all the Cymbalta withdrawals...brain zaps, vertigo, instant rage, etc....and nothing today...can't believe it. And, my craving for alcohol has diminished significantly in one day.....try Prozac....I think it works wonders.....

tate

#2 edgeofsane

edgeofsane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US
  • why_joining:
    Quitting Cymbalta

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

Very intresting tate, been down on Cymbalta from 60mg to 30mg for 11 days and I still felt the vertigo this morning before I took that other regimn I have been taking from previous post. I tried to count out the 30mg this morn and it made me want to take the 60's :huh: I ended up doing like Maureen had talk about with the clear caps, I just visually halfed, must have done ok I guess. B) Keep us informed buddy.

#3 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Try Prozac.....it's working for me.

#4 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

And Lots of vitamins........

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I just wanted to say that after 4 years of being on Cymbalta and 3-4 attempts of trying to get off this crap....today was my first day with no Cymbalta and NO WITHDRAWALS....I am taking 20MG of Prozac along with lots of Vitamins - Vitamin D - 10,000IU, Magnesium- 500MG and 2 Fish Oil pills a day.....I was taking 60 MG for YEARS and this week went from 60 MG Tuesday, 30 MG Wednesday(no withdrawals) and today nothing, not one capsule....no withdrawals....next, in two weeks I will stop Prozac. I have spoken with my pharmacist and other people and they all say that weaning off Prozac is relatively easy. Nothing like Cymbalta, at all. I have had all the Cymbalta withdrawals...brain zaps, vertigo, instant rage, etc....and nothing today...can't believe it. And, my craving for alcohol has diminished significantly in one day.....try Prozac....I think it works wonders.....

tate

Hi Tate

I hope things continue to go well for you but I felt I should warn you, I didn't feel any wdl until Day 4. Then the proverbial crap hit the fan. On that day I got horrible upper abdo pain that no ordinary painkiller (or even a hot water bottle, which is good for cramps) touched. My Dr ran all sorts of test, an abdo scan, blood test, I had a gastroscopy... all normal. For two weeks I had a lot of trouble eating..had to stick to really bland foods..anything too heavy caused pain and / or regurgitation. I dropped from 60mg c/t.

As I said I hope this doesn't happen to you and yeah, maybe the prozac is helping.

Good luck
Junior

#6 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well that attempt didn't work.....dammit. F*** this drug.....Just took 30mg of cymbalta from not being on it since Thursday, couldn't take it any more. Been taking 20 mg of prozac and the vitamins but I guess, as always, I have to learn the hard way. Oh well, I guess I will try 30mg for a couple weeks then go to every other day and so on......you guys were right....

#7 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

TP225

Sorry it didn't work but don't feel discouraged. Just put it down to 'experience' and try again. Only, please don't do the 'every other day thing'. That doesn't work either. We've seen it on this forum time and time again. You are effectively withdrawing from Cymbalta then reintroducing it.. over and over..which only throws your brain into chaos.

Please think about trying the slow taper. I know it's a pain in the butt and I know it means having to be patient, but it really does seem to produce the best outcome.

Good luck
Junior

#8 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

will do....i guess i will try debbie's approach to reducing beads....10 beads every two weeks. I wonder if I should stop the prozac??? Does that have as bad of withdrawals???

thanks,

tate

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

will do....i guess i will try debbie's approach to reducing beads....10 beads every two weeks. I wonder if I should stop the prozac??? Does that have as bad of withdrawals???

thanks,

tate

The prozac is almost certainly helping you deal with the Cymbalta withdrawals; once you are completely off cymbalta and suffering no symptoms is the time to think about stopping the prozac.

As Junior says, every second day is a useless method, EXCEPT for those who were perhaps going to have little difficulty getting off whichever way they went.

regards, Maureen.

#10 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

thanks,

tate

Hi Tate

I wouldn't stick strictly to the 2 week regime. It might be ok, but you might also find that you need longer to stabilise between drops. Listen to your body. When you are no longer feeling wdl effects, that is the time to do the next drop.

As for the Prozac, I agree with Maureen. Many people have had success by using Prozac during wdl. It is said to be easier to wean off (I didn't do it that way so I can't speak from experience) because it has a longer half life, meaning that it stays in your system longer after each dose.

Cheers
Junior

#11 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi Tate

I wouldn't stick strictly to the 2 week regime. It might be ok, but you might also find that you need longer to stabilise between drops. Listen to your body. When you are no longer feeling wdl effects, that is the time to do the next drop.

As for the Prozac, I agree with Maureen. Many people have had success by using Prozac during wdl. It is said to be easier to wean off (I didn't do it that way so I can't speak from experience) because it has a longer half life, meaning that it stays in your system longer after each dose.

Cheers
Junior

#12 tp225

tp225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thanks friends....already feeling better today on 30 mg...slept ALL day. Withdrawal symptoms wore me out.

#13 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

Thanks friends....already feeling better today on 30 mg...slept ALL day. Withdrawal symptoms wore me out.

Good to hear!! Don't worry, there are few among us who haven't become impatient to be off this drug, and try to go a bit faster. Slow and steady gets there in the end, though, and in much better condition.

Just make sure you 'stabilize' on 30mg - i.e. wait for at least a week, before even considering tapering with a daily dose.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users