• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

Giselle -
I'm sorry for your pain and your worry. Really I am. Unfortunately, I don't have the answers you seek. I too worry about long term effects. All I can say about that, and to share with you is: It remains to be seen and I can't afford to think about it now. For today, I have to focus on regaining the faculties I have lost while on the meds -- my energy, my motivation, my confidence. I implore you: do not worry your mind about things you can do nothing about, i.e. all the years you have been on the meds. What's done is done and your future may well be fine.

What I can say for sure is it sounds like you've been reducing your dose too fast. These are powerful drugs and also, unfortunately, toxins, and the advice from some experienced folks on this board is to reduce extremely slowly -- the equivalent of a few beads (in the capsule) per week. Check the posts from NurseDeborah or contact her directly.

To be honest, I have been using a different strategy. I reduced from 60mg to 30mg ONLY BECAUSE I AM WORKING WITH A HOMEOPATH WHO IS PROVIDING ME WITH HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES TO SUPPORT MY REDUCTION. It's working fairly well so far. I am now on 30 mg one day, with two days off. BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS APPROACH WITHOUT THE RIGHT HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES TO SUPPORT IT. Without the supports, it is a strategy that jerks the body around a lot. I am not even 100% happy with it myself and am working with my doctor about that. But my symptoms so far have been relatively minimal.

The other thing I can say is that I've derived enormous benefit from meditation. It has helped all the negative thoughts, negative emotions, anxiety, depression, etc. I highly, highly recommend that you read The Mindfulness Way Through Depression by some Oxford University psychiatrists, psychologist and mindfulness/ meditation experts. Trust me -- this is really good stuff.

I'm wishing you the very best. You've come to the right place.

#2 Dameon

Dameon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationutah
  • why_joining:
    serious issues with cymbalta and the way it makes me think...the dreams and or nightmares, the sweats..a irritating side effect is ED..and of course my wife thinks its her...then my brain goes into spaz mode and I remeber it did not do that BEFORE cymbalta

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

Gissele all I can tell u is i understand...and I believe your brain wi.ll figure out what to do...your brain is smarter then the chemists because it was made by a smarter person, thats a no brainer (sorry I could not help myself)
DT

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

I have been on cymbalat for over 2 years now and didn't realize that the things that were happening to me (side effects) were related to cymbalta until I started reading. I did try to stop last summer but suffered from the brain zaps and at that time I had no idea what was happening, now I do. I went back to my Dr. a few days ago and explained my side effects and told him I wanted off, but was nervous about all I had read on the horrible withdrawls. Here is how he is wenning me off and so far after 5 days it is working great.
First two weeks I take a 60 one day and the next I take a 30, The next 3 weeks I take a 30 each day, The next 2 weeks I take a 30 one day and then half a 30 the next, The last step I take half a 30 every other day for a week and then stop. I have not seen this approach any where and as I said above so far no signs of any withdrawl symptoms. I wish the best for everyone attempting to get off this horrible drug.

Hi Merlin,

I've replied to your other posts.

You say you've not seen this approach anywhere, but if you look over posts here you'll find that many people have had this method recommended to them, and it hasn't worked for them.

Try reading a thread called 'wean system my doctor prescribed for me'

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users