• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jlrobin6

Jlrobin6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on cymbalta 30 mgs for the last year and I want off my doc is not supportive.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

I weaned off of 30mgs starting in November 2009 and by the end of December I was able to be completely off. I have been off of cymbalta for a month during the weaning period I stepped down every two weeks and had mild brain zaps but no migranes. I did have acne break out and as soon as I stopped the break outs have stopped. I now have not had a brain zap feel like my normal self before I started this stupid pill. Thank you for the support and the information on how to wean down. I have given my doctor the information so hopefully he will think twice in giving this pill to other people.

Thank you everyone.

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Please: I'm on 30 now and will now be tapering by reducing, not on-off-on-off as I was. Exactly how did you reduce? At what pace? Did you count beads? Or what?

I don't have access to 20 mg doses, so a pharmacist has agreed to recombine my 60s into 10s so I can take 3 or 2 or 1 as need be. I'm actually worried about doing the bead approach because I'm concerned that each bead isn't the same -- specifically, that some beads are "timed" to go off sooner and some later, hence "time release." Do you know about this?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your feedback.

QueenTimely,
Onething about time release is that they just go off once in the stomach when they should, just like all time released meds. The size of the beads being differentin
sizes is only due to the way they were made, nothing more. A size of a bead has nothing to do with anything.

The best way to do the slow wean is how I was taught when I got here, and that was to just reduce the dose your
on by 10 beads every 2 weeks or until all the withdrawl symptoms are gone. If 10 is too much you can reduce that
amout in half. That is what is so great about doing it this way is that your in control.

I know you have the bead count, don't you?

30 mg = 270
20 mg = 180
10 mg = 90
5 mg = 45
1 mg = 9

If you need anymore help just let me know.

Debbie

You can do this, and it's really not as bad as your thinking, just go slow
I have been give a new site ssristories and they say to take a year to get
of whatever does your on!!!!

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Please: I'm on 30 now and will now be tapering by reducing, not on-off-on-off as I was. Exactly how did you reduce? At what pace? Did you count beads? Or what?

I don't have access to 20 mg doses, so a pharmacist has agreed to recombine my 60s into 10s so I can take 3 or 2 or 1 as need be. I'm actually worried about doing the bead approach because I'm concerned that each bead isn't the same -- specifically, that some beads are "timed" to go off sooner and some later, hence "time release." Do you know about this?

Anyway, I'd appreciate your feedback.

The counting beads approach is exactly the same as your pharmacist is doing. There's no way they're separating the beads into the different sizes etc. NO WAY. They're just going by weight, which is exactly what you end up with when counting the beads.

They're not TIME RELEASE, they're SLOW RELEASE, they dissolve slowly in your digestive system and thereby release the drug over a period of time rather than all at once.

By counting the beads you're getting a random number of larger and smaller anyway.

If you're still not convinced, divide them into large and small groups and take an even number from each.

regards, Maureen.

#4 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, as usual. You did send me the bead count, but, I'm sorry: can you please send it to me again? I also want to post it on the new forum category for newcomers I suggested that the administrator set up. Maybe as a personal message? Thanks again.

QueenTimely,
Onething about time release is that they just go off once in the stomach when they should, just like all time released meds. The size of the beads being differentin
sizes is only due to the way they were made, nothing more. A size of a bead has nothing to do with anything.

The best way to do the slow wean is how I was taught when I got here, and that was to just reduce the dose your
on by 10 beads every 2 weeks or until all the withdrawl symptoms are gone. If 10 is too much you can reduce that
amout in half. That is what is so great about doing it this way is that your in control.

I know you have the bead count, don't you?

30 mg = 270
20 mg = 180
10 mg = 90
5 mg = 45
1 mg = 9

If you need anymore help just let me know.

Debbie

You can do this, and it's really not as bad as your thinking, just go slow
I have been give a new site ssristories and they say to take a year to get
of whatever does your on!!!!

#5 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Debbie -
Can you please post that weaning chart again? I've lost mine and would also like to post it for the newbies in the new section for them.

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Debbie -
Can you please post that weaning chart again? I've lost mine and would also like to post it for the newbies in the new section for them.

Hi queen timely, your last email, which I read and didn't have time to answer, I cannot find for love nor money. Can you send it again?

Also, the bead count & weaning schedule is different for everybody, so I'd be wary of posting something as though it was advisable for all. Some can drop after several days, others have two wait a few weeks. Some can get from high to low doses easily, then struggle from there, so unfortunately there's no 'one size fits all' with this drug.

Posting it as one person's experience I think is what's useful here.
regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users