• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Flora

Flora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Very ill from cymbalta withdrawl and cannot find help.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

I have taken 60 mg cymbalta for 3 years, doc did not tell me how to wean properly. A month ago took myself off rather quickly and ended up in hospital with self inflicted wounds. I have rheumatoid arthritis and doc thought that this was a good drug choice? I was put back on cym and told that there is no need to go off. When my energy is back i am
looking for new doc. Was anyone else advised to stay on it? I have never in
my life been suicidal and only mildly depressed. I am weak and skaken from my behavior and the whole ordeal. Please forgive grammar.
I am frightened to ever w/d again

Flora

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hi Flora

I'm afraid many doctors are ignorant about how to withdraw from modern a/ds. It is not how long it takes to get the drug out of your system, it is how long it takes your brain to return to its pre-med way of functioning. These drugs chemically alter the way your brain works.

You CAN get off this drug. It is just best to wean slowly. The general consensus from reading here and at another forum is to reduce by 10% of your original dose and wait 3-6 weeks for any wdl effects to settle before reducing again. Some people find that Prozac helps to alleviate many of the withdrawals. It is also said to be easier to get off later.

As far as pain.. yes, Cymbalta is marketed as a drug that can help with that. So if you do want to wean off, you may find a recurrence of your previous pain. Some people actually feel aches and pains they didn't have before Cymbalta but they do settle after a while.

Good luck
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users