Photo

Anyone used Effexor(generic) low does to wean?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 karinad

karinad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm going off cymbalta!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi, I'm new. I just decided 2 days ago that I'm going to stop my 30mg. of cymbalta. I've been on it about 2 1/2 yrs. I was on Zoloft, which helped for awhile. I went on Cymbalta when my dad died in Aug, 2006. I felt great for awhile. I can't say when I stopped feeling great, but it's been awhile. My doctor then upped my dose to 60mg, but that made me feel weird, so I dropped the 2nd capsule. In May of 2009, I asked her to change the medication to Effexor, so she did. I didn't really have a chance to start the Effexor(generic), when my 34 yr. old mentally disabled daughter died very suddenly of a heart attack. That was early June of 2009. I didn't want to start a new drug and deal with possible side effects, and my deep grief, so I continued on with the Cymbalta, and started taking 60mg. again. Again felt weird, or it sure didn't help!

So, the other day I decided I'm stopping it, since it's not helping, and I'm not sure what I'm feeling! Nothing helps grief but time, and I still feel like there are days when I could just take a handful of Ambien, but I wouldn't do that to my family. I am going to "grief" therapy, and time doesn't heal, but it helps.

I have these 2 drugs available to be(effexor & cymbalta). Is it better to break the capsules of the cymbalta, or divide the pills of the effexor? Anybody have this experience? I guess there's that fear of completely going off the deep end if I'm not taking something. I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but these doctors don't know anything, and they're no help! It's ashame we have to be our own doctors. I'm sorry if I've offended any of the good ones out there!

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi Karinad

I wouldn't use effexor to get off Cymbalta. They are in the same class of drugs and you risk getting an overload of both serotonin and norepinephrine - the two neurotransmitters these drugs alter. In addition, although they are in the same class of drugs, they do work slightly differently. Now is not a good time to confuse your brain chemistry.

If you want to come off Cymbalta the best way is to open the capsules and count the beads. I didn't do it that way (wish I did!) but if you look around the board, others can help you with the bead count and what mg it equals.

Best of luck
Junior

#3 karinad

karinad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm going off cymbalta!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hi Karinad

I wouldn't use effexor to get off Cymbalta. They are in the same class of drugs and you risk getting an overload of both serotonin and norepinephrine - the two neurotransmitters these drugs alter. In addition, although they are in the same class of drugs, they do work slightly differently. Now is not a good time to confuse your brain chemistry.

If you want to come off Cymbalta the best way is to open the capsules and count the beads. I didn't do it that way (wish I did!) but if you look around the board, others can help you with the bead count and what mg it equals.

Best of luck
Junior

Thanks Junior! Good point! I was just thinking that the pill form of Effexor that I have, would be easier then the capsules. After reading more of the posts, I opened the 30mg. capsule and took about half of the beads and put the other half back in the capsule for tomorrow. I was starting to feel a little strange before I took that dose after not having one for about 40 hrs. Funny, they tell you that the drug is not addicting, but after reading this board, it sounds like addiction to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users