• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hi Jen - you've come to the right place. I'm at 20 mg myself and will continue weaning from here when I've settled a little longer at this level. As far as I can tell, there's nothing to fear if you go very slowly. I have 10 mg capsules I had a pharmacist put together for me from my 60s. I'm taking two now and when I'm ready, I'll open them and reduce the number of beads. You can, too. Just take it slow remembering that there's no race to get off fast if you'll only feel awful, for who knows how long and possibly wind up back on again. That's my two cents. Keep posting to let us know how you're doing.

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi there,
I am in the process of weaning off of Cymbalta myself. I have several times tried and went back on them for the exact same reason you've been having problems. the side effects were horrendous! I read a website that mentioned Omega 3's in large doses help with the brain zaps and side effects. I am taking about 5000 mg of omega 3's a day, maybe a bit more. My research indicated that higher doses of omega 3's were okay and not dangerous, though I'm no doctor. I went from 60 to 30 mg and am doing pretty well. No major upsets just the brain zaps but they are very manageable. I also am taking quite a few supplements and amino acids. I had been on these (based on the book "The ultimate Mind Solution")for the last couple of months. I feel much better in general and I think the combination of all of these things is helping me to get off of the antidepressents with few problems. I would highly recommend this book as it discusses serotonin and dopamine requirements and how to supplement properly. I hope this helps you. Good luck! If you have any questions let me know. terrydavenport101@hotmail.com Good luck.

Glad to hear you're going about it the right way. Good to hear about the omega 3 for you too. Did absolutely nothing for me when withdrawing.

Do be aware though, that lots of people don't have a lot of difficulty getting down to 30mg, even from high doses, and then find the 'fun' starts. You may not be one of them, but just don't feel too bad if you have to go more slowly from there.

regards, Maureen.

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Maureen. I'm just going to take it slow and hopefully it will be doable. Any other words of advice for things that worked for you? Thanks again! Camile

The best advice I can give is to stay in touch here. There's no one answer sometimes to people's questions and the feedback helps people feel that there are others out there experiencing the same thing, which I personally found really helpful.

You would be wise to stick to the 30mg until you feel perfectly well and stable at that dose. For me, the withdrawal effects kicked in within a day or so, then disappeared within the week (that was doing tiny drops, with which I got low level withdrawal effects). Others find that the worst of the effects don't hit them for up to a week, and if you start reducing further, too soon, you won't know which dose you were stable at. Make sense?

When all withdrawal symptoms have gone at 30mg you could try 28mg, which involves removing 18 beads from the capsule. You will soon get to find out how you go with each drop.

You can hang on to the beads for the lower doses. That's the cautious, slow way.

You may be one who has little difficulty getting off. If you're brave enough, once you're stable on 30mg, you might try 15mg per day. I wouldn't, but some can do it without too much trouble.

Without research into it, no one really knows what proportion of people coming off Cymbalta have the level of difficulty that some of us do. There are lots of anecdotal reports that many have no problem, but there are lots of anecdotal reports than many have HUGE problems, to the extent that their doctors won't prescribe Cymbalta again.

regards, Maureen.

#4 happygirl

happygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    Started weaning off Cymbalta 60mg today to 30mg. Appreciate the support and insight into weaning that this site supplies.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

The best advice I can give is to stay in touch here. There's no one answer sometimes to people's questions and the feedback helps people feel that there are others out there experiencing the same thing, which I personally found really helpful.

You would be wise to stick to the 30mg until you feel perfectly well and stable at that dose. For me, the withdrawal effects kicked in within a day or so, then disappeared within the week (that was doing tiny drops, with which I got low level withdrawal effects). Others find that the worst of the effects don't hit them for up to a week, and if you start reducing further, too soon, you won't know which dose you were stable at. Make sense?

When all withdrawal symptoms have gone at 30mg you could try 28mg, which involves removing 18 beads from the capsule. You will soon get to find out how you go with each drop.

You can hang on to the beads for the lower doses. That's the cautious, slow way.

You may be one who has little difficulty getting off. If you're brave enough, once you're stable on 30mg, you might try 15mg per day. I wouldn't, but some can do it without too much trouble.

Without research into it, no one really knows what proportion of people coming off Cymbalta have the level of difficulty that some of us do. There are lots of anecdotal reports that many have no problem, but there are lots of anecdotal reports than many have HUGE problems, to the extent that their doctors won't prescribe Cymbalta again.

regards, Maureen.

Hi all,
I am on day 5 of my drop from 30mg to 15mg. My drop has brought with it some dizziness and slow motion eye movement in my head. I don't know how else to explain it. I take my pill around 1-2pm daily. I find that I suffer the worst of my symptoms from that time til around 7-8pm at night. I am quite happy that I am sleeping quite well throughout the night. I could probably even take a nap in the day too.

The crying episodes have kind of sneaked up on me. I mean that if I get emotionally charged about something or someone, I can have a crying spell which is not too awful....I just put my time in and do feel better when done. My family has been very understanding. I plan to stay on the 15mg until stable. I hope by Thursday I can manage another drop to a dose under 15mg. It all depends of how I am doing at that time.

I find the weird feeling in my head with turning my head or looking back and forth the worse symptom for me. I just don't like it but I can live with it. No nightmares. I am taking Omega 3 enteric coated softgels 2-3 with each meal. No stomach upset or diarrhea either.

Hang in and hang on. I am encouraged by this site and do not feel alone any more. This is not easy but I know we will get through this. I have weaned from 60mg to 30mg for one week, then down to 15mg this week. I will not hesitate to adjust my beads up if I need too and there is no way I would cold turkey this. I am speaking of my own body's sensitivity to Cymbalta and understand we are all different. Keep posting and be encouraged! I pray for all of you strength and peace. Happygirl/Beth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users