• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta, from 60 mg. to 30 mg., now 40 (20 2x/day). I have been on Nutrisystem and have this theory that Cymbalta is "struggling" with my new, healthier eating habits. I need help, guidance and boatloads on info on this angle of my story. I am also taking supplements. Epilepsy after Wellbutrin XR made me lose control of my newborn daughter, which fell headfirst on the ground (thank God for the fluffy carpet!)

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi guys! B)

I am brand new here, my first post. Hear me, I have this theory that hit me today and I want to hear your opinions, and see what are your thoughts on this. I started Nutrisystem a bit more than 3 months ago. I lost so far 21 lbs/YAYYY!!!! At the same time, I am taking that Cymbalta thing, 20 mg 2x/day, plus seizure meds. (this was triggered by Wellbutrin XR).

Because Nutrisystem is a diet that has you eat lots of salads, fruits and the like I have had a major roller coaster in the last couple of weeks. Big downfall! I even took off, left my family didn't say where I was going; I went for a walk. I needed to re-program myself with regards to two issues that were affecting me at the time (minor today-one of those "forgive but won't forget" issues comes and goes). I felt unable to function, like I was really stuck. My brain felt even different, like a bit heavier and harder to process. I felt dumb. I don't work, but I feel that because all of this I have to apply for disability. I can't go back to work on what I used to do, because I can't remember jack and squat as an administrative assistant. Epilepsy meds. do that too. :angry:

I have tried over and over to quit Cymbalta, but you know that the two or three times I was given the regular "fast-track" wean process that I have read here. With two young kids and a husband that should be canonized by Rome (poor guy :( ) I am at my wit's end. I can't allow this situation to continue and eating healthy does work. I do jerk which goes along with the condition; I have had 2 seizures where I just pass out and I find myself on the floor wondering why in the world did that happen, and with the fear of losing the drivers' license-been there, done that.

After three months it is very interesting that a total overhaul of my diet, with vitamins and supplements have somehow, someway made me go into withdrawal. Why is that? Is the medication not working? I mean, fruit in the morning, veggies at lunch and fruit and veggies in the evening, along with their food. As my nick, I became a "Twilight" fan which threw me back to my old reading habits and the "teenager thing". I want to feel loved, safe and protected. I am experiencing that, but not to a level that I am used to (another culture). It has taken me over two weeks to crawl out of this hellhole. My kids only got the "runaway mom" episode, which I shouldn't have. Problem is, I would not have been able to leave the house for two or three hours; my husband would not have let me go that easy.

Experienced again that dreadful suicidal tendency, but too chicken to do it. Nevertheless, I have a conscience so I know fully all the consequences. Now the thing is, I am craving lots of cheese; calcium but especially cheese. Cheese and oatmeal. If I have sugars late at night, it's a guaranteed headache in the morning. I do get a monthly or bi-monthly migraine that leaves me in bed, grabs my right eye and I end up with either Icy-Hot or Tiger Balm on my forehead and the back of my neck, and a bandanna wrapped tight on my head, and I cover my eyes to put pressure on the pain.

I have my appointment in a couple of weeks. I need to know exactly if I am accurate on this description, if anybody else here is on Nutrisystem would help big time. I need to tell him a possible new game plan. My husband disagrees with another attempt at doing this; he thinks I should go back to 60 mg because of this past downfall, leaving and more than two weeks of having a different personality-very guarded with him. Lack of trust, negative thoughts, weird dreams. I can't remember anything else to add, except that it looks like a withdrawal process. Because Nutrisystem does not provide seafood in their diet due to allergies (only tuna salad), I take Omega 3-6-9, sublingual B-12, B complex, vitamin C chewable, multi-vitamin that was recommended to me by GNC for the diet; because of where I live I barely get sun-I take Vitamin D-3 and it does a good job! For hair, skin and nails, Biotin (the diet messes up with those) and barley caps.

The problem of the office I go to, there's been two changes in psych's so now I am gonna see a new one. This doctor will look at my Bart Simpson-type folder, read the last couple of notes and I have to start from scratch. I absolutely dread that and hate it! :angry:

One ex-employee that I know of-used to work with my mother-in-law, had serious personal problems; was prescribed antidepressants, and ended up with having seizures. He overcame his obstacles, weaned off his antidepressant, and then from his seizure meds. He told me he gets a bit scared if his hand twitches, but thank goodness, he is still good and lost a TON of weight. He said he changed his eating habits. See why I am wondering that Cymbalta is not working right? Even this morning I thought I was taking duds! :P

I will cross-post here to other threads and see where I get to be seen. Thanks and sorry for the craziness, but I think I am onto something here.

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi guys! B)

I am brand new here, my first post. Hear me, I have this theory that hit me today and I want to hear your opinions, and see what are your thoughts on this. I started Nutrisystem a bit more than 3 months ago. I lost so far 21 lbs/YAYYY!!!! At the same time, I am taking that Cymbalta thing, 20 mg 2x/day, plus seizure meds. (this was triggered by Wellbutrin XR).

Because Nutrisystem is a diet that has you eat lots of salads, fruits and the like I have had a major roller coaster in the last couple of weeks. Big downfall! I even took off, left my family didn't say where I was going; I went for a walk. I needed to re-program myself with regards to two issues that were affecting me at the time (minor today-one of those "forgive but won't forget" issues comes and goes). I felt unable to function, like I was really stuck. My brain felt even different, like a bit heavier and harder to process. I felt dumb. I don't work, but I feel that because all of this I have to apply for disability. I can't go back to work on what I used to do, because I can't remember jack and squat as an administrative assistant. Epilepsy meds. do that too. :angry:

I have tried over and over to quit Cymbalta, but you know that the two or three times I was given the regular "fast-track" wean process that I have read here. With two young kids and a husband that should be canonized by Rome (poor guy :( ) I am at my wit's end. I can't allow this situation to continue and eating healthy does work. I do jerk which goes along with the condition; I have had 2 seizures where I just pass out and I find myself on the floor wondering why in the world did that happen, and with the fear of losing the drivers' license-been there, done that.

After three months it is very interesting that a total overhaul of my diet, with vitamins and supplements have somehow, someway made me go into withdrawal. Why is that? Is the medication not working? I mean, fruit in the morning, veggies at lunch and fruit and veggies in the evening, along with their food. As my nick, I became a "Twilight" fan which threw me back to my old reading habits and the "teenager thing". I want to feel loved, safe and protected. I am experiencing that, but not to a level that I am used to (another culture). It has taken me over two weeks to crawl out of this hellhole. My kids only got the "runaway mom" episode, which I shouldn't have. Problem is, I would not have been able to leave the house for two or three hours; my husband would not have let me go that easy.

Experienced again that dreadful suicidal tendency, but too chicken to do it. Nevertheless, I have a conscience so I know fully all the consequences. Now the thing is, I am craving lots of cheese; calcium but especially cheese. Cheese and oatmeal. If I have sugars late at night, it's a guaranteed headache in the morning. I do get a monthly or bi-monthly migraine that leaves me in bed, grabs my right eye and I end up with either Icy-Hot or Tiger Balm on my forehead and the back of my neck, and a bandanna wrapped tight on my head, and I cover my eyes to put pressure on the pain.

I have my appointment in a couple of weeks. I need to know exactly if I am accurate on this description, if anybody else here is on Nutrisystem would help big time. I need to tell him a possible new game plan. My husband disagrees with another attempt at doing this; he thinks I should go back to 60 mg because of this past downfall, leaving and more than two weeks of having a different personality-very guarded with him. Lack of trust, negative thoughts, weird dreams. I can't remember anything else to add, except that it looks like a withdrawal process. Because Nutrisystem does not provide seafood in their diet due to allergies (only tuna salad), I take Omega 3-6-9, sublingual B-12, B complex, vitamin C chewable, multi-vitamin that was recommended to me by GNC for the diet; because of where I live I barely get sun-I take Vitamin D-3 and it does a good job! For hair, skin and nails, Biotin (the diet messes up with those) and barley caps.

The problem of the office I go to, there's been two changes in psych's so now I am gonna see a new one. This doctor will look at my Bart Simpson-type folder, read the last couple of notes and I have to start from scratch. I absolutely dread that and hate it! :angry:

One ex-employee that I know of-used to work with my mother-in-law, had serious personal problems; was prescribed antidepressants, and ended up with having seizures. He overcame his obstacles, weaned off his antidepressant, and then from his seizure meds. He told me he gets a bit scared if his hand twitches, but thank goodness, he is still good and lost a TON of weight. He said he changed his eating habits. See why I am wondering that Cymbalta is not working right? Even this morning I thought I was taking duds! :P

I will cross-post here to other threads and see where I get to be seen. Thanks and sorry for the craziness, but I think I am onto something here.

Hi Johanna,

Can't comment on too much of your post, but I know another regular poster, Junior, advises AGAINST taking B vitamins as there's some connecting with the affect on your body when taking or withdrawing from Cymbalta. Some of her recent posts commented on it - you may want to check them out.

regards, Maureen.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi Maureen:
I´m taking B-complex vitamins. I would like to know where I can find Junior´s post where he advices against taking B vitamins because they affect body when taken along with cymbalta.

regards,
C.

#4 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Cymbalta, from 60 mg. to 30 mg., now 40 (20 2x/day). I have been on Nutrisystem and have this theory that Cymbalta is "struggling" with my new, healthier eating habits. I need help, guidance and boatloads on info on this angle of my story. I am also taking supplements. Epilepsy after Wellbutrin XR made me lose control of my newborn daughter, which fell headfirst on the ground (thank God for the fluffy carpet!)

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:51 AM

Hi Maureen:
I´m taking B-complex vitamins. I would like to know where I can find Junior´s post where he advices against taking B vitamins because they affect body when taken along with cymbalta.

regards,
C.

I am taking seizure medications (Lamictal and Klonopin) where I understand there is a problem with B-12 absorption. That is why I am taking it, and decided to back it up with additional B complex. I was trying to look for Junior's post too.

Thanks.

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

I am taking seizure medications (Lamictal and Klonopin) where I understand there is a problem with B-12 absorption. That is why I am taking it, and decided to back it up with additional B complex. I was trying to look for Junior's post too.

Thanks.

Sorry, this is all she said - I couldn't remember:

"Some of the recommendations I've heard are: stay away from Vitamin B as it ramps up the nervous system and can actually increase anxiety."

Hope I didn't mislead anyone. And obviously I can't comment about the interaction between that and the other drugs. Interactions between drugs (including OTC stuff) is a scary topic though. Due to having a couple of rare conditions, a doctor once said to me 'there's probably no one else in Australia on this combination of drugs', so many, many things are unknown about interactions between lots of substances. Tricky when you're also dealing with withdrawal from thischarming one. :)

regards, Maureen.

#6 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Johana & Maureen:
I use this website www.drugs.com when I have doubts on medicine interactions. I remember once taking a medicine for a cold/flue while taking cymbalta, and the next day I felt drugged. Since then I´m using that site, to check EVERY medicine or supplement in relation to interactions with cymbalta. Johana I´m also taking a medicine that limits absortion of B12 (glucophage for insulin resistance), that´s why I´m taking B-complex.
Thank you both
C.

#7 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Johana & Maureen:
I use this website www.drugs.com when I have doubts on medicine interactions. I remember once taking a medicine for a cold/flue while taking cymbalta, and the next day I felt drugged. Since then I´m using that site, to check EVERY medicine or supplement in relation to interactions with cymbalta. Johana I´m also taking a medicine that limits absortion of B12 (glucophage for insulin resistance), that´s why I´m taking B-complex.
Thank you both
C.

Great, thanks for that!

Fantastic site.

Interestingly, when I was recently put on Prozac, the GP's computer automatically flagged the fact that it may interact with another drug I'm on, which is rarely prescribed.

regards, Maureen.

#8 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hi just to let you know that I have felt like crap for these past several days (and this morning too).

Right now I am typing in the middle of my second day with headaches. Yesterday it was headaches with nausea. I even took my DVD player to the bathroom to watch one of the Twilight movies. So I watched the first third part of the movie jerking a bit on the bathroom floor. I've been a bit afraid of another seizure attack recently, because I have experienced jerking in different parts of the body, and in different levels of intensity. Thank goodness nothing too huge, but scary indeed.

I've put on Tiger Balm and Icy Hot, with bandannas for the head. I tried several ways to put pressure, but the headaches move quicker. So far, the eye has been spared :blink: . Right now I look like this----> B) inside the house. I used Alka Seltzer last night because it was 2 AM and still, I couldn't go to sleep feeling nauseous (I HATE throwing up!). I know I shouldn't but I can't get rid of coffee; as I type this I am almost done with my first mug and I hope it gets rid of the headache.

I gotta go get stuff done, but I wanted to drop off this note as an FYI on how I am doing. It seems that I might be onto something, and that a withdrawal IS indeed happening with a diet overhaul. Thanks.

#9 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Hi just to let you know that I have felt like crap for these past several days (and this morning too).

Right now I am typing in the middle of my second day with headaches. Yesterday it was headaches with nausea. I even took my DVD player to the bathroom to watch one of the Twilight movies. So I watched the first third part of the movie jerking a bit on the bathroom floor. I've been a bit afraid of another seizure attack recently, because I have experienced jerking in different parts of the body, and in different levels of intensity. Thank goodness nothing too huge, but scary indeed.

I've put on Tiger Balm and Icy Hot, with bandannas for the head. I tried several ways to put pressure, but the headaches move quicker. So far, the eye has been spared :blink: . Right now I look like this----> B) inside the house. I used Alka Seltzer last night because it was 2 AM and still, I couldn't go to sleep feeling nauseous (I HATE throwing up!). I know I shouldn't but I can't get rid of coffee; as I type this I am almost done with my first mug and I hope it gets rid of the headache.

I gotta go get stuff done, but I wanted to drop off this note as an FYI on how I am doing. It seems that I might be onto something, and that a withdrawal IS indeed happening with a diet overhaul. Thanks.

hang in there! If your body is so used to coffee, you may do more harm than good trying to skip it at this stage. Ask anyone who's been to a health farm and they'll tell you that many of the 'guests' suffer badly in the first days from withdrawal of tea, coffee, etc.

regards, Maureen.

#10 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

Hi guys! B)

Hi Johanna

Haven't been here much lately so I didn't see your post earlier. Sorry.

While nutrition will certainly help your general health, I don't think it is the reason for your problem. (It has probably contributed but I doubt it is the main issue.) You said you have tried to get off Cymbalta before so I'm guessing you've been on it for a decent period of time. What you have described sounds like you have become tolerant to Cymbalta. In other words, your body is wanting more and because you are not giving it what it wants, it has effectively gone into withdrawal.

You could up the dose but this will happen again .. and again.. and again...
The best to do from here is to wean.. but VERY SLOWLY. Another site I go to (paxil progress) has people who have taken a year to get off their a/d. Sometimes people have to updose for a while, stabilise, then wean more slowly. One person is decreasing by 5% each time after having crashed in the past, and is having success.

The general recommendation is to decrease by no more than 10% of your current dose and to wait 3-6 weeks before decreasing again.

Vitamin B is said to be a 'no no' as many people find it increases anxiety, at a time when the nervous system is already very sensitive. Magnesium is highly recommended as it calms the nervous system. Some people find supplements helpful (I am trying to get off Aropax / Paxil and my naturopath has me on several things, which I find helpful) some don't. It's trial and error I'm afraid.

Good luck
Junior

#11 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi Maureen:

regards,
C.

Hi Coookie

Junior here - and I'm a she :D
Well I was the last time I looked ..lol

There is no prob with taking Vit B while ON the a/d. It is when in wdl that people often have problems. While withdrawing, people often find that their nervous system is very sensitive and somehow the B vitamins often make it worse. So I've heard.

Nice to 'meet' you
Junior

#12 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

hang in there! If your body is so used to coffee, you may do more harm than good trying to skip it at this stage. Ask anyone who's been to a health farm and they'll tell you that many of the 'guests' suffer badly in the first days from withdrawal of tea, coffee, etc.

regards, Maureen.

Agreed. Coffee is a drug and needs to be weaned off, same as other drugs. If I try to go c/t off coffee I get horrible headaches, just above the eyes.

I once tried to quit coffee and cigarettes at the same time. I ended up with DTs! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users