#1 Big Bear

Big Bear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    to learn how to wean off this poison.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

I've been on 60 mg of Cymbalta for 6 months now and I now realize that I don't need it anymore. I started taking it because of some traumatic events in my life and it was the first anti depressant I've ever taken. It did wonders for getting me out of my depression but now it's just preventing me from being as happy as I know I can be. The meds keep me in a state of indifference toward the world and others and I know that is not me.

Because of this realization I decided to quit cold turkey about 5 days ago. I've had the zaps before and, although annoying, I knew I could handle them so I figured I'd just tough out the side effects. I didn't realize the other awful side effects that are causing me to miss school and work because of extreme exhaustion and, very recently, waves of depression. Since Friday I have had 3 nights where I have slept more than 12 hours. I know it's just the drugs but I don't want the psychological side effects, they're just taking away from my life that I am enjoying very much.

My question is should I start taking 60 mgs again for a few days before I taper to 30 or should I just start at 30 and work from there? I want to get rid of these side effects before I start weaning but I am not exactly sure the best route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

I've been on 60 mg of Cymbalta for 6 months now and I now realize that I don't need it anymore. I started taking it because of some traumatic events in my life and it was the first anti depressant I've ever taken. It did wonders for getting me out of my depression but now it's just preventing me from being as happy as I know I can be. The meds keep me in a state of indifference toward the world and others and I know that is not me.

Because of this realization I decided to quit cold turkey about 5 days ago. I've had the zaps before and, although annoying, I knew I could handle them so I figured I'd just tough out the side effects. I didn't realize the other awful side effects that are causing me to miss school and work because of extreme exhaustion and, very recently, waves of depression. Since Friday I have had 3 nights where I have slept more than 12 hours. I know it's just the drugs but I don't want the psychological side effects, they're just taking away from my life that I am enjoying very much.

My question is should I start taking 60 mgs again for a few days before I taper to 30 or should I just start at 30 and work from there? I want to get rid of these side effects before I start weaning but I am not exactly sure the best route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Hi Big Bear,

My personal opinion only, is that after five days you might find 30mg is enough to clear most of the symptoms. You'll also find that it works fairly quickly, within hours, and that after a few days, you'll be able to tell if the 30mg is 'enough' for you to be able to taper down from there.

Stay on the 30mg until you feel perfectly well, then taper down slowly, even a few mg at a time will get you there eventually and you can be completely OFF cymbalta without having to suffer these symptoms.

Keep in mind the way the drug works is by altering your brain chemistry; when you stop taking it,you have to allow your brain time to adjust back to its pre cymbalta state. That takes different amounts of time for different people.

regards, Maureen.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Dear Big Bear:
Every person is different, and antidepressants work differently. In my case, I wouldn´t dare to go from 60mg to 30mg, for me is a huge drop. It is your decision wether to keep on cold turkey or to start weaning slowly. It depends if you are willing to take the withdrawal effects. I am not a doctor, but my advice would be to go to a dosage in between, like 55mg, then 50mg, 45mg, etc. There are a lot of posts describing how to prepare the capsules and count beads.
The best for you!
Cookie :)

#4 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

As usual, I'm with Maureen. I don't know what you're up to now, but 60 - 30 was a very easy drop for me, and after five days, you've done some of the hard yards. I'd try 30 or even less. You can always updose.

Thank You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users