• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • why_joining:
    My daughter needs to come off Cymbalta.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:45 AM

Hi, Angela

I am new to Cymbalta, my daughter had only taken it for 5 weeks (30 mg) and now she is weaning off it. Because of that, I had to do a lot of reading to see what the best way of doing it was.

The general consensus seems to be that taking Cymbalta every other day is a bad idea - because of the drug's short half-life you are basically suffering withdrawal symptoms after you miss your dose. Slowly lowering the dose over a period of time seems to be the best approach. The dose and the time period differs from person to person but if you have been on Cymbalta for over 3 years, slowly is probably your best approach. Your psychiatrist doesn't seem to know much about this, by the sound of it. It is basic knowledge that you cannot treat antidepressants the same way as, say, painkillers and 'take one when you need one', he really should know that!

In my daughter's case, I have been taking out a certain number of beads (the little white balls) out of the capsule and then monitoring any adverse effects she may be having. We have been going relatively quickly because of the short time she had been taking Cymbalta but in your case perhaps going down 2/3 mg at a time may be more appropriate. I am sure that others who have been through this process will be able to help you with their advice.

Good luck!

minority

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

Dear Angela:
I am not a Doctor, but it seems you have been trying and taking too many drugs and going to too many doctors (from what I´ve read).
I think going to different doctors is good to have different opinions, but is not good going to too many. I don´t think it is good to try a drug for a few weeks and keeping switching drugs.
I read that you have been misdiagnosed for 15 years. Again I am not a doctor but I´ll tell you my opinion. Most mental illnesses symptoms overlap, are similar. For example, one of ADHD symptoms is lack of concentration, which is also a Depression symptom. Over the years I have read a lot about mental illnesses, and now I am very active in my health, meaning that I always read a lot before going to the psychiatrist, and even questioning or refuting recommendations. It is hard to believe that you were misdiagnosed for 15 years having gone to all these doctors.
Before taking any new medication make sure you get the right diagnosis. You don´t want to be on and off all these meds.
Hope this helped
Cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users