#1 deb

deb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    have fibromyalgia and depression

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

I just found this site today. I have been on Cymbalta for 4 years, for fibro and depression.The past 2+ years have been taking 120mg daily.I have been taking 120mg one night, and then 60 mg the next night for about 1 month. Over the weekend stepped down to just 60 mg each night. Today at work, I was so nauseated, I had to come home. Very unusual for me to be nauseated. What is your advice on stepping down going forward? I have recently been trying to eat more fresh fruits and veggies, and hope this will help.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Dear Deb:
I am not a doctor. Just a person who has suffered from severe depression and has been on antidepressant for many years. I read that the therapeutic dosage for cymbalta is 60mg. Any further miligrams, do not bring additional benefits. I have taken cymb. 60mg for 5 years. For a period my doctor recommended 90mg, which didn´t bring additional benefits and gave me side effects that I didn´t have while on 60mg (itching, mania). So I might deduce that 120mg is a high dosage.

One of the main things I learned throught this site, is that taking the med every other day is not a good option due to life of cymbalta within the body/brain. I´ve read in many posts here, that it is better to take the same dosage everyday for a period.

It seems that your body, is used to a very high level of cymbalta (120mg), so going to 60mg is a huge drop (50%) although you did the -every other day approach-. Based on what I have lived, with my dosage decrease, I would suggest you to drop dosage somewhere in between. In my case, I´ve been dropping 7mg each time. You could for example reduce to 110mg, then to 105mg, and so on.

If you were taking 120mg, I could deduce you were taking two pills of 60mg. To lower to 110mg, you could take one 60mg capsule and another 50mg capsule. Since the later doesn´t exist, you could take a 60mg pill and take out 10mg (90beads) and reclose the capsule. This is something i´ve learned through this site. Just so you know 1mg is equivalent to 9 beads.

It is SO good that you are eating healthy, this has helped a lot with my depression. Exercise helps also.

hugs
Cookie

#3 Nadine

Nadine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • why_joining:
    wanting to wean off cymbalta<br />taking 120 mg a day

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

HI Cookie
How do you work around the gel caps.
Thats for the chart from before.
Maybe when I have them refilled I could ask for the other kind.
Have a good day.

Dear Deb:
I am not a doctor. Just a person who has suffered from severe depression and has been on antidepressant for many years. I read that the therapeutic dosage for cymbalta is 60mg. Any further miligrams, do not bring additional benefits. I have taken cymb. 60mg for 5 years. For a period my doctor recommended 90mg, which didn´t bring additional benefits and gave me side effects that I didn´t have while on 60mg (itching, mania). So I might deduce that 120mg is a high dosage.

One of the main things I learned throught this site, is that taking the med every other day is not a good option due to life of cymbalta within the body/brain. I´ve read in many posts here, that it is better to take the same dosage everyday for a period.

It seems that your body, is used to a very high level of cymbalta (120mg), so going to 60mg is a huge drop (50%) although you did the -every other day approach-. Based on what I have lived, with my dosage decrease, I would suggest you to drop dosage somewhere in between. In my case, I´ve been dropping 7mg each time. You could for example reduce to 110mg, then to 105mg, and so on.

If you were taking 120mg, I could deduce you were taking two pills of 60mg. To lower to 110mg, you could take one 60mg capsule and another 50mg capsule. Since the later doesn´t exist, you could take a 60mg pill and take out 10mg (90beads) and reclose the capsule. This is something i´ve learned through this site. Just so you know 1mg is equivalent to 9 beads.

It is SO good that you are eating healthy, this has helped a lot with my depression. Exercise helps also.

hugs
Cookie

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Dear Nadine:
I haven´t used the gel caps, since they do not sell empty ones in my town.
What I do is use the cymbalta caps. For example I take a 30mg capsule divide it in half. Take one half, put it back in the capsule and reclose it. The other half I put it in a glass, but haven´t been able to use this remain product because I do not have extra capsules. However, this way, it is such a waste of product. This is why people buy empty capsules to poor the remaining product. I have read on this site that there is people who open the capsule, divide it in half, put one half on one of the half capsule and the other half in the other half capsule. and close them with a bit of bread. I haven´t dared to do it, since I want to make sure cymbalta gets into my digestive system properly to where is digested.
regards
cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users