cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

After 2 years on Cymbalta I am trying to get off it and have started an alternating program at the suggestion of my current MD. I have tried twice to go cold turkey from 60mg and know the pure hell that brings on.
But the alternating doesn't look to promising for me so far.
The cycle has been 60mg one day to 30mg the next, back to 60mg then 30mg, etc.
The 30mg days have been almost as bad as cold turkey for me. Increased daytime sleep to start and then heavy night sweats. Now, a week into the cycle, I'm having constant headaches, general tiredness and chestpains on the 30mg days and it takes almost a full day on the 60mg days to return to feeling "normal".
I plan to contact my MD and advise of the progress and see what they suggest.
I truly wish that I had never been put on this med. I was at a very bad point and stressed and depressed, but the med shouldn't have to nearly kill you to get off it!
Just my first post and will chek back here for further information and advice.

Dear Guest:
I am not a doctor. Just someone who has taken cymbalta for many years (5 years). Through this site I learned a lot of things which are valuable because they come from real stories of people that have quit cymbalta.
One of the things I learned is that the -every other day approach- is not that smart. You say that when you alternated one day 60mg and the other day 30mg, the 30mg days were as bad as cold turkey. The reason is, cymbalta´s life within your body/brain. Cymbalta lives 12 hours. So it´s better to take the same dosage everyday.

I was very lucky to come into this site before reducing dosage. I took cymbalta 60mg for 5 years. And read on this site the importance to wean slowly. So I dropped from 60mg to 52mg one week, then 45mg the next week, then 37mg following week, and plan to drop to 30mg this friday. As you see, I have dropped 7 mg each time. and symptoms have been bearable and manageable. I haven´t felt that bad physically or emotionally. To aid my weaning process I am trying to eat very healthy, take vitamins and minerals and do yoga.

Hope this helped
Cookie

#2 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

On-off DOESN'T work. Don't do it. Did these doctors get their medical diplomas out of a home printer? Just chose a dose -- I suggest 30 mg because the drop from 60 to 30 is often very easy -- and start reducing. Very, very slowly. Like 10% every week or two.

After 2 years on Cymbalta I am trying to get off it and have started an alternating program at the suggestion of my current MD. I have tried twice to go cold turkey from 60mg and know the pure hell that brings on.
But the alternating doesn't look to promising for me so far.
The cycle has been 60mg one day to 30mg the next, back to 60mg then 30mg, etc.
The 30mg days have been almost as bad as cold turkey for me. Increased daytime sleep to start and then heavy night sweats. Now, a week into the cycle, I'm having constant headaches, general tiredness and chestpains on the 30mg days and it takes almost a full day on the 60mg days to return to feeling "normal".
I plan to contact my MD and advise of the progress and see what they suggest.
I truly wish that I had never been put on this med. I was at a very bad point and stressed and depressed, but the med shouldn't have to nearly kill you to get off it!
Just my first post and will chek back here for further information and advice.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Dear Ellie
Although you say that you had never been anxious in your life, for me eating disorders are a form of anxiety.

It sounds like your weaning plan was excellent! You say that you have been cymbalta free since october, and that panic attacks appeared 2 months ago. Does that mean that the rest of the time (from october to march) you felt fine and then anxiety/panic attacks appeared?

It is very important that your husband understands that anxiety and panic attacks ARE NOT just psychological, they are caused by brain chemistry not working well. (Neurotrasmitters)

It sounds to me that this anxiety you have is due to cymbalta withdrawal. I am not a doctor, just a cymbalta user. It is sad to read stories on this site about new symptoms appearing when quitting cymbalta.

I was a panic attack sufferer in the past (nothing to do with cymbalta). After 1 year of taking meds I was panic attack free. I agree with you in not becoming dependent any other drug (xanax). There are things you could do that will help a little, like doing yoga/exercise and taking linden tea. Taking vitamin and minerals and eating well. But my main recommendation is that you do not WORRY. If you worry the anxiety will worsen.

Hugs
Cookie.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hello to all of you,

I just finished my withdrawal from Cymbalta. I had been on 60mg for 5 years and hate that I ever started.
The best advice I can give you is to suck it up and go cold turkey....I tried tapering down and was having the same withdrawals...

What I did was go to 30mg for 4 days and then stopped all together. I just wanted to get it over with and get back to normal.
I wont lie and tell you it is quick and painless....I was in withdrawal for over a week...but the last two days have been CONSIDERABLY better and I think it is done.
Be prepared to have the brain zaps, nausea, diahrea, vomitting, dizziness, etc...
Drink LOTS of gaterade to keep hydrated...seemed to help dimenish the zaps a bit....
I worked during this time and did my best to stay active and focused. My wife was an Angel and really gave me great support.

Just get it over with and do not prolong your agony by scaling down slowly and making it last weeks or months longer than you need to. You will have withdrawal either way....
BE STRONG AND BEAT THE DRUG.

Dear Jojo:
For me weaning slowly has been so far good. I´ve had symptoms but they are manageable. I rather wean slowly.
hugs
cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users