#1 CeCe

CeCe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want to get off

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Has anyone had blood tests and the results were that your cholesterol level (bad cholesterol) was very high (my good cholesterol is also high?

I have never had cholesterol problems and the last time I went to the doc, he took blood levels and 293 "bad" is what he found.

The only thing that I can think of doing this is the Cymbalta (I take Toviaz and Elmiron for interstitial cystitis, premarin and benicar for blood pressure.

I have found that I am not wanting to get out of the house at all. I work from home and sometimes don't even want to leave to go eat with my hubby. Do you think this is the cymbalta?

I don't want to have to start taking cholesterol meds too (56 yo)--Anyone experiencing an increase? I am trying to slowly wean off the Cymbalta and the dr wants to test my blood again in 4 months. If it is still high he will put me on cholesterol meds.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cece

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Has anyone had blood tests and the results were that your cholesterol level (bad cholesterol) was very high (my good cholesterol is also high?

I have never had cholesterol problems and the last time I went to the doc, he took blood levels and 293 "bad" is what he found.

The only thing that I can think of doing this is the Cymbalta (I take Toviaz and Elmiron for interstitial cystitis, premarin and benicar for blood pressure.

I have found that I am not wanting to get out of the house at all. I work from home and sometimes don't even want to leave to go eat with my hubby. Do you think this is the cymbalta?

I don't want to have to start taking cholesterol meds too (56 yo)--Anyone experiencing an increase? I am trying to slowly wean off the Cymbalta and the dr wants to test my blood again in 4 months. If it is still high he will put me on cholesterol meds.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cece

Dear Cece:
I´ve been since april on this site, and haven´t read any post relating cymbalta with high cholesterol. However there is a link between cymbalta and huge gain weight. Did you gain weight while taking cymbalta???

If you don´t want to take any pill for colesterol, please focus on good nutrition (eat veggies, and fruits), try to avoid food that would provoke high cholesterol (search in the internet). It is not how much you eat but the quality of the food. Try to exercise at least 3 times a week, for 30 minutes of more.

I hadn´t thought about it, but now that you mention not wanting to get out of the house, I realize I feel the same.!!!!! Didn´t relate it to cymbalta though.

Good that you are weaning slowly

Hugs
Cookie

#3 CeCe

CeCe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want to get off

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Dear Cece:
I´ve been since april on this site, and haven´t read any post relating cymbalta with high cholesterol. However there is a link between cymbalta and huge gain weight. Did you gain weight while taking cymbalta???

If you don´t want to take any pill for colesterol, please focus on good nutrition (eat veggies, and fruits), try to avoid food that would provoke high cholesterol (search in the internet). It is not how much you eat but the quality of the food. Try to exercise at least 3 times a week, for 30 minutes of more.

I hadn´t thought about it, but now that you mention not wanting to get out of the house, I realize I feel the same.!!!!! Didn´t relate it to cymbalta though.

Good that you are weaning slowly

Hugs
Cookie

Hi Cookie:

Thanks for responding. Yes, I have gained weight since on Cymbalta. I'm glad I caught it before it got too bad but I'm thinking at least 10-15 lbs. I've gone from 60mg to 30 mg only since Monday and feel a little more energetic and am having relatively little w/d symptoms.
I work from home and it's a pretty demanding job and I haven't been exercising either (haven't felt like it--I think the Cymbalta makes you tired or not want to do anything.)
So I will stay on 30 for about 1 week and then try 15 (yes, I'm opening the capsules--not counting the beads but there was a great tip that I read on here was to just pour an even amount into each part of the capsule and you will be close to the 1/2 dose.
Another tip I read on here was that a guy didn't have extra capsules so he stuffed bread in the end. Well, that didn't work for me, the bread dried up and the beads fell out! LOL
I will go to the store tonight and buy some capsules.

Is there any antidepressants that don't make you gain weight? I don't think that zoloft does but that is very wicked to try to get off.

I just want ME to be back.

Have you gained weight on Cymbalta?

Thanks,

Cece

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi Cece:
It´s good that you caught the weight gain at the right time, so you didn´t gain that much. (I gained 52lbs when started cymbalta and started having glucose/insulin problems).

You mentioned that you dropped from 60mg straight to 30mg (50% drop) and that you plan to drop another 50% (to 15mg) in another week. I rather wean slowly. I started at 60mg, reduced to 52mg, then 45mg, then 37mg, and this week to 30mg. The first weeks I also felt energized, but this last week symptoms struck me, so I can´t imagine what would be like if I had dropped from 60mg straight to 30mg. I´m not a doctor but it sounds your drops are big and fast. I´ve read many times on this board, that one should do a 10% decrease each time and stay on each dosage at least 3 weeks. It´s your decision.

In relation to your question on antidepressant and weight gain. I took prozac years ago and didn´t gain any weight. (I was young then though).

I totally agree with your quote “I just want ME to be back”. I feel the same. The person that I miss the most is ME!.

Keep me posted
Hugs
Cookie

#5 CeCe

CeCe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Want to get off

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Hi Cece:
It´s good that you caught the weight gain at the right time, so you didn´t gain that much. (I gained 52lbs when started cymbalta and started having glucose/insulin problems).

You mentioned that you dropped from 60mg straight to 30mg (50% drop) and that you plan to drop another 50% (to 15mg) in another week. I rather wean slowly. I started at 60mg, reduced to 52mg, then 45mg, then 37mg, and this week to 30mg. The first weeks I also felt energized, but this last week symptoms struck me, so I can´t imagine what would be like if I had dropped from 60mg straight to 30mg. I´m not a doctor but it sounds your drops are big and fast. I´ve read many times on this board, that one should do a 10% decrease each time and stay on each dosage at least 3 weeks. It´s your decision.

In relation to your question on antidepressant and weight gain. I took prozac years ago and didn´t gain any weight. (I was young then though).

I totally agree with your quote “I just want ME to be back”. I feel the same. The person that I miss the most is ME!.

Keep me posted
Hugs
Cookie

Hi Cookie:

Yes, I guess I am going about it a bit too fast. Today I feel real jumpy--sort of from one thing to another. I will try to maintain the 30mg for at least 2 weeks maybe 3 like you mentioned and then go slowly from there. I did read on this board that it seems to be harder as you take less even with going slowly.
I don't know how much I've gained (I don't want to know) but I still fit in my clothes but some are too tight so I want to lose what I've gained. I've just been on the Cymbalta since April -- was on Zoloft before--changed to Cymbalta because it helps with interstitial cystitis (they think). I would like to get off all. The weird thing is is that I don't know what made my cholesterol become high. Thinking now, it can't be the Cymbalta because I started taking that around the time he tested my blood. All my other bloodwork is completely normal.

Thanks for your comments,

Cece

#6 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Hi Cookie:

Yes, I guess I am going about it a bit too fast. Today I feel real jumpy--sort of from one thing to another. I will try to maintain the 30mg for at least 2 weeks maybe 3 like you mentioned and then go slowly from there. I did read on this board that it seems to be harder as you take less even with going slowly.
I don't know how much I've gained (I don't want to know) but I still fit in my clothes but some are too tight so I want to lose what I've gained. I've just been on the Cymbalta since April -- was on Zoloft before--changed to Cymbalta because it helps with interstitial cystitis (they think). I would like to get off all. The weird thing is is that I don't know what made my cholesterol become high. Thinking now, it can't be the Cymbalta because I started taking that around the time he tested my blood. All my other bloodwork is completely normal.

Thanks for your comments,

Cece

Hi Cece:
The “trick” is not only staying for a period on certain dosage, but also not making huge drops. So if you are taking 30mg right now, your next drop could be to 27mg.
Yes I have also read that it seems to be harder as one takes less.
It´s good that you fit into your clothes. I had to change my whole closet (new bathing suits, shorts, jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc).
It is very important that you watch out your cholesterol. By eating super healthy and exercising.
Hugs
Cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users