#1 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:
    Need help weaning off of Cymbalta

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hello - I am new here. Here is my history. I have been on various anti-depressants for about 10 years. I have tried most of them. I think that I am pretty sensitive to medication and tend to metabolize it pretty fast. Most anti-depressants have not worked for me/gave me adverse side effects.

Zoloft bothered my GI system a lot. Lexapro seemed to not do much. Same with Effexor. It seemed like Paxil made me feel the best, but I gained a lot of weight on it. This was years ago, and I was only on it a few months. I have been on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta the longest. I was on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL a long time, and it didn't seem to be helping me much, but more than the others. However, I was always able to get off any antidepressant until Cymbalta. Although, I will say that my former antidepressants were always replaced by a different, new antidepressant - trying to find the "right" one. None of them really seemed to help me enough and/or not cause adverse side effects.

About 5 years ago my doctor added 30 mg, then 60 mg Cymbalta to my Wellbutrin. Honestly, it seemed like the 60 mg helped a lot at 1st, but eventually, on this combo, it seemed like all I wanted to do was sleep. And, I slept a lot. Needless to say, this was not helping me at all. I eventually dropped down to 30 mg Cymbalta. It seemed to not make too much of a difference. I was taking 30 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg Wellbutrin XL for a few years. Then, my dad passed away a couple years ago and I ended up making a few bad choices as a result of how I was feeling. I think some of these bad choices had to do with my state of grief and the meds that I was on (both Wellbutrin and Cymbalta). Eventually, I decided I wanted off of both of these drugs.

Last spring, I tried to quit cold turkey (both of these drugs) and had a horrible experience of anxiety and panic, headaches, nausea, stomach pains, diarrhea. I went right back on both. In the summer, when I was feeling better, I basically started taking the 30 mg Cymbalta every other day for about a month and then eventually just stopped at the end of July. I kept taking the Wellbutrin. I was doing ok, but feeling a little anxious. I used to take Wellbutrin by itself for years, so I figured I would be fine. At end of August, I stopped taking the Wellbutrin.

I went from Sept to Nov without either drug. I also stopped taking birth control pills. I wanted to clean out my entire body. By Nov, I was having such severe anxiety and panic, that I went back on Cymbalta, but asked for only 20 mg this time and back on birth control pills (no Wellbutrin). The doctor told me that my anxiety has increased that is why I was feeling this way. I was always more depressed and dysthymic than anxious, and now, I am unbelievably anxious (and depressed/dysthymic). I am no longer taking Wellbutrin b/c it supposedly can increase anxiety, although, I never had a problem with it until I started taking Cymbalta with it. After Nov, I kept on taking 20 mg of Cymbalta every day and birth control (no Wellbutrin).

I decided in about Jan/Feb to start taking 20 mg Cymbalta every other day. This is not ideal and has left me feeling slightly nauseated with headaches, but I have been able to somewhat bear it. Doctor gave me Prozac to help get off completely, and it made me so incredibly anxious. This did not work for me.

Right now, I am still taking 20 mg Cymbalta every other day plus birth control pills. I even back slid a few times and took it every day for a couple days and started back into my "wanting to sleep all day" mode, and I just can't do that. I have to function and go to work. Right now, I am still on 20 mg every other day.

I would like to get down to 10 mg daily then every other day, 5 mg if I have to, etc. I am thinking of trying the counting bead and gelatin caps that the board has suggested. However, when I opened one of my 20 mg, the beads are so tiny, they went everywhere. I don't know to do this without losing some, having them spill all over, etc. Has anyone tried doing this with the 20 mg? Can you please offer advice? Or, has anyone had success with a compound pharmacy making them into 10 mg, 5 mg, etc?

Overall, I am struggling with whether I actually need this drug or not. Is my anxiety worse? Or did Cymbalta make my anxiety worse? Can it change your brain?

I realize that this board is not for diagnosis. I am asking these more hypothetically. The doctor said that there is no way that Cymbalta can change your brain. He said that would be "bizarre" and wouldn't happen. However, they don't even understand how these drugs (especially this one) work exactly. All I know is that I am more anxious and panicky than I have ever been. I can almost handle being depressed. I can't handle the anxiety/panic and GI issues.

I think I was successfully off of it (and all drugs) for a few months. I think I might've been through the withdrawal? But, it seems like I cannot get off this drug without having severe anxiety/panic rear it's ugly head. Also, trying to wean off of it causes me great GI problems, mainly nausea and diarrhea. I have actually thrown up from this. And, of course, headaches. And, during my period, all of those issues get so much worse. I never had anxiety like this before this drug. I have never had the aches and pains that I have right now. Through the past year, I keep going back to this drug.

Again, the doctor dismisses this as he thinks both my anxiety and depression have gotten worse and the Cymbalta is actually "helping" more than I think. When I am back on the drug, my GI problems and anxiety seem to subside. And, the aches and pains are b/c I am getting older and my depression is worse (I am having knee problems/pre-arthritis. I was diagnosed with runner's knees). I am in my mid-30s, and I do not exercise. Now, I'm thinking that I might have fibromyalgia. God, I hope not. I have no idea.

But, I will agree with everyone on here wholeheartedly that getting off this drug is awful. And, that by itself, is a cause for concern. I was always told that antidepressants are non-addictive and can be stopped, if done properly/safely. Not so with Cymbalta.

Eventually, I would like to be off of Cymbalta and birth control b/c I think I would like to eventually have a baby with my fiance (eventual husband). It doesn't have to be "tomorrow," but I would like to know that I can at least live without antidepressants at least through pregnancy and the 1st year. Maybe I am being too naive/idealistic about this. Regardless, I would at least like to eventually get off of Cymbalta, if I can. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for this board and all of your wonderful support. :)

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hello - I am new here. Here is my history. I have been on various anti-depressants for about 10 years. I have tried most of them. I think that I am pretty sensitive to medication and tend to metabolize it pretty fast. Most anti-depressants have not worked for me/gave me adverse side effects.

Zoloft bothered my GI system a lot. Lexapro seemed to not do much. Same with Effexor. It seemed like Paxil made me feel the best, but I gained a lot of weight on it. This was years ago, and I was only on it a few months. I have been on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta the longest. I was on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL a long time, and it didn't seem to be helping me much, but more than the others. However, I was always able to get off any antidepressant until Cymbalta. Although, I will say that my former antidepressants were always replaced by a different, new antidepressant - trying to find the "right" one. None of them really seemed to help me enough and/or not cause adverse side effects.

About 5 years ago my doctor added 30 mg, then 60 mg Cymbalta to my Wellbutrin. Honestly, it seemed like the 60 mg helped a lot at 1st, but eventually, on this combo, it seemed like all I wanted to do was sleep. And, I slept a lot. Needless to say, this was not helping me at all. I eventually dropped down to 30 mg Cymbalta. It seemed to not make too much of a difference. I was taking 30 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg Wellbutrin XL for a few years. Then, my dad passed away a couple years ago and I ended up making a few bad choices as a result of how I was feeling. I think some of these bad choices had to do with my state of grief and the meds that I was on (both Wellbutrin and Cymbalta). Eventually, I decided I wanted off of both of these drugs.

Last spring, I tried to quit cold turkey (both of these drugs) and had a horrible experience of anxiety and panic, headaches, nausea, stomach pains, diarrhea. I went right back on both. In the summer, when I was feeling better, I basically started taking the 30 mg Cymbalta every other day for about a month and then eventually just stopped at the end of July. I kept taking the Wellbutrin. I was doing ok, but feeling a little anxious. I used to take Wellbutrin by itself for years, so I figured I would be fine. At end of August, I stopped taking the Wellbutrin.

I went from Sept to Nov without either drug. I also stopped taking birth control pills. I wanted to clean out my entire body. By Nov, I was having such severe anxiety and panic, that I went back on Cymbalta, but asked for only 20 mg this time and back on birth control pills (no Wellbutrin). The doctor told me that my anxiety has increased that is why I was feeling this way. I was always more depressed and dysthymic than anxious, and now, I am unbelievably anxious (and depressed/dysthymic). I am no longer taking Wellbutrin b/c it supposedly can increase anxiety, although, I never had a problem with it until I started taking Cymbalta with it. After Nov, I kept on taking 20 mg of Cymbalta every day and birth control (no Wellbutrin).

I decided in about Jan/Feb to start taking 20 mg Cymbalta every other day. This is not ideal and has left me feeling slightly nauseated with headaches, but I have been able to somewhat bear it. Doctor gave me Prozac to help get off completely, and it made me so incredibly anxious. This did not work for me.

Right now, I am still taking 20 mg Cymbalta every other day plus birth control pills. I even back slid a few times and took it every day for a couple days and started back into my "wanting to sleep all day" mode, and I just can't do that. I have to function and go to work. Right now, I am still on 20 mg every other day.

I would like to get down to 10 mg daily then every other day, 5 mg if I have to, etc. I am thinking of trying the counting bead and gelatin caps that the board has suggested. However, when I opened one of my 20 mg, the beads are so tiny, they went everywhere. I don't know to do this without losing some, having them spill all over, etc. Has anyone tried doing this with the 20 mg? Can you please offer advice? Or, has anyone had success with a compound pharmacy making them into 10 mg, 5 mg, etc?

Overall, I am struggling with whether I actually need this drug or not. Is my anxiety worse? Or did Cymbalta make my anxiety worse? Can it change your brain?

I realize that this board is not for diagnosis. I am asking these more hypothetically. The doctor said that there is no way that Cymbalta can change your brain. He said that would be "bizarre" and wouldn't happen. However, they don't even understand how these drugs (especially this one) work exactly. All I know is that I am more anxious and panicky than I have ever been. I can almost handle being depressed. I can't handle the anxiety/panic and GI issues.

I think I was successfully off of it (and all drugs) for a few months. I think I might've been through the withdrawal? But, it seems like I cannot get off this drug without having severe anxiety/panic rear it's ugly head. Also, trying to wean off of it causes me great GI problems, mainly nausea and diarrhea. I have actually thrown up from this. And, of course, headaches. And, during my period, all of those issues get so much worse. I never had anxiety like this before this drug. I have never had the aches and pains that I have right now. Through the past year, I keep going back to this drug.

Again, the doctor dismisses this as he thinks both my anxiety and depression have gotten worse and the Cymbalta is actually "helping" more than I think. When I am back on the drug, my GI problems and anxiety seem to subside. And, the aches and pains are b/c I am getting older and my depression is worse (I am having knee problems/pre-arthritis. I was diagnosed with runner's knees). I am in my mid-30s, and I do not exercise. Now, I'm thinking that I might have fibromyalgia. God, I hope not. I have no idea.

But, I will agree with everyone on here wholeheartedly that getting off this drug is awful. And, that by itself, is a cause for concern. I was always told that antidepressants are non-addictive and can be stopped, if done properly/safely. Not so with Cymbalta.

Eventually, I would like to be off of Cymbalta and birth control b/c I think I would like to eventually have a baby with my fiance (eventual husband). It doesn't have to be "tomorrow," but I would like to know that I can at least live without antidepressants at least through pregnancy and the 1st year. Maybe I am being too naive/idealistic about this. Regardless, I would at least like to eventually get off of Cymbalta, if I can. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for this board and all of your wonderful support. :)

You'll be much better off taking 10m every day than 20mg every second day, which you already know.

Yep, the little beads are beggars for a start, but you get used to handling them.

You can turn ONE 20mg capsule into TWO 10mg capsule by carefully opening it OVER A (preferably not white) plate, so that if any spill, they're right there.

Try to get approximately half of the beads into each half of the capsule - just tip them backwards and forwards carefully until they look even, which you can see if you hold them up to the light.

Then just stuff a piece of bread into each half of the capsule to make 2 x 10mg.

If this is difficult, use some blu tack or some such to 'hold' the half capsule while you deal with the other half.

Then wait at least a week on that dose before considering what to do.

That's my suggestion, anyway ...

regards, Maureen.

#3 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Maureen - Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. Do you know how many total beads are in a 20 mg? And, how much med each bead contains? (or where I can find this info on here?) Thank you

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

Maureen - Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. Do you know how many total beads are in a 20 mg? And, how much med each bead contains? (or where I can find this info on here?) Thank you

The vast majority of people here seem to be on a version which has 9 beads per mg, so 180 x beads per 20mg.

There is a version around, though, which has far fewer beads, so best bet is, just once, tip the lot onto a non white plate, divide into several roughly equal sections and count one section. The 'other' variety has FAR fewer beads, so if you come to anywhere near the figure of 180, that's the one you've got.

Given you've been doing every second day, keep in mind it doesn't have to be absolutely precise. Whatever you're not getting the first day, you're getting the second.

keep us posted,

regards, Maureen.

#5 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Maureen - Thanks so much. I hope that you are doing well. I apologize for just getting back now. I've been down from 20 mg to 10 mg of Cymbalta for about 1-1/2 week(s). My pills are the ones that have 180 beads. I have been dividing them in half and using empty Cymbalta, as well as empty gelatin caps. I have found that you can pick up the beads by just having them stick to the tip of your finger and then scraping them into the capsule halves.

At first, I was not feeling so great. The 1st couple days I was feeling more anxious, stomach/bowl upset, headache/brain zaps, brain fog, and I had a weird taste in my mouth. Also, I seem to be a little more sensitive to smells. I did better after the 1st couple days. I want to know when I can/should start taking nutritional supplements for support? Like amino acids - 5-HTP, L-tyrosine, etc. I am concerned about Serotonin syndrome, etc. Also, does anyone recommend a certain brand of amino acids? Do you take a supplement that has all amino acids or just certain ones like 5-HTP, etc? Also, what dose(s) should you start with?

Also, I notice that Junior did not recommend B complex right away bc it might increase anxiety. I don't know if I should be taking B complex right now or not. I am torn on this b/c I know it is supposed to help your nerves, but he may be right that it could be too stimulating.

I may also re-post this with a different subject to get more responses. Thanks a lot

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Maureen - Thanks so much. I hope that you are doing well. I apologize for just getting back now. I've been down from 20 mg to 10 mg of Cymbalta for about 1-1/2 week(s). My pills are the ones that have 180 beads. I have been dividing them in half and using empty Cymbalta, as well as empty gelatin caps. I have found that you can pick up the beads by just having them stick to the tip of your finger and then scraping them into the capsule halves.

At first, I was not feeling so great. The 1st couple days I was feeling more anxious, stomach/bowl upset, headache/brain zaps, brain fog, and I had a weird taste in my mouth. Also, I seem to be a little more sensitive to smells. I did better after the 1st couple days. I want to know when I can/should start taking nutritional supplements for support? Like amino acids - 5-HTP, L-tyrosine, etc. I am concerned about Serotonin syndrome, etc. Also, does anyone recommend a certain brand of amino acids? Do you take a supplement that has all amino acids or just certain ones like 5-HTP, etc? Also, what dose(s) should you start with?

Also, I notice that Junior did not recommend B complex right away bc it might increase anxiety. I don't know if I should be taking B complex right now or not. I am torn on this b/c I know it is supposed to help your nerves, but he may be right that it could be too stimulating.

I may also re-post this with a different subject to get more responses. Thanks a lot

I din't take any supplements so can't really comment on that count. I tried max doses of fish oil but didn't make any difference. Others have found otherwise. Some part of Vitamin B is some sort of stimulant. I know there's something in the Vitamin B mix that I sometimes take means they recommend taking it twice a day, but am and mid day, not p.m..

Yes, once you get used to handling the Cymbalta beads it all seems a lot less worrying.

regards, Maureen.

#7 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks, Maureen. Are you off of it completely now? Just wondering. How are you doing? :)

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks, Maureen. Are you off of it completely now? Just wondering. How are you doing? :)

Yes, I'm off completely. Just log in here twice a day to try to help others going through the same stuff.

I was very, very, lucky in that I had a GP who didn't doubt what I was telling her - she was learning from me. She does know me very well and has been through a few other major health issues with me so I guess that made a difference.

Once I realized what I was doing wrong with Cymbalta (trying to stretch it out to every second day) I changed to 20mg every day and tapered down slowly - over 10 weeks. Many have had to go even slower and that's the thing with Cymbalta. What works for one, won't work for another. Some can go faster, others have to go slower to avoid most of the symtpoms.

regards, Maureen.

#9 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Maureen - Congratulations!! :) I am so glad that you are off. You didn't take any supplements? How are you feeling? I am having a bit of a rough time. I was taking 10 mg daily for about a month and then 10 every other day for about a week. I decided to stop taking it completely b/c I really didn't think it was doing much of anything for me/I wasn't withdrawl-ing and started taking 25 to 50 mg 5-HTP about a week ago. The 5-HTP doesn't really seem to be helping me. I am feeling more depressed and having
slightly blurry vision (but enough that it is annoying). I think that I am over the withdrawal?? :( I am not really feeling any withdrawal symptoms other than blurred vision, depression and anxiety (and those 2 I already had, I guess). The anxiety isn't too bad right now, but the depression is. I am thinking that the blurred vision is from my depression?? I am hoping not, but I think it might be. Maybe I am in denial about how depressed/anxious I really am. Not really sure what to do, but thinking about taking the 10 mg of Cymbalta again. :(

#10 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Maureen - Congratulations!! :) I am so glad that you are off. You didn't take any supplements? How are you feeling? I am having a bit of a rough time. I was taking 10 mg daily for about a month and then 10 every other day for about a week. I decided to stop taking it completely b/c I really didn't think it was doing much of anything for me/I wasn't withdrawl-ing and started taking 25 to 50 mg 5-HTP about a week ago. The 5-HTP doesn't really seem to be helping me. I am feeling more depressed and having
slightly blurry vision (but enough that it is annoying). I think that I am over the withdrawal?? :( I am not really feeling any withdrawal symptoms other than blurred vision, depression and anxiety (and those 2 I already had, I guess). The anxiety isn't too bad right now, but the depression is. I am thinking that the blurred vision is from my depression?? I am hoping not, but I think it might be. Maybe I am in denial about how depressed/anxious I really am. Not really sure what to do, but thinking about taking the 10 mg of Cymbalta again. :(

Not sure about the blurred vision; it happens a lot to people withdrawing, but it's usually one of many symptoms.

It's very difficult with withdrawal to know which ones are underlying symptoms and which ones are from Cymbalta.

I've ended up back on a VERY small dose of Prozac (only 5mg per day). I needed it when I started taking it (which was about four months after the last Cymbalta) but not even sure if I do now. Personal circumstances are not fantastic, so feel it's a bit of insurance somehow.

I didn't find taking anything helped me at all. Tried large doses of fish oil, but made absolutely no difference, although it has for others. Depends on what your brain is missing I guess, although I'm not a big fish eater generally.

If you're tempted to take Cymbalta again, you probably don't need to take 10mg - your body has probably further adjusted to the extent that you could take 5mg and see if you feel better. If you DO feel better fairly quickly, chances are it was withdrawal.

regards, Maureen.

#11 hopefaith

hopefaith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

Maureen - Thanks so much. Yes, it is definitely difficult to know if it's underlying symptoms vs. withdrawal. What you said re: if I start taking Cymbalta again and feel immediate relief makes sense -- then, it is probably the withdrawal. I am going to try to stay off, but I may try the 5 mg like you suggested. I will keep you posted.

I completely know what you mean about personal circumstances not being fantastic and needing the insurance. I am feeling the same way right now (and have in the past many times). I hope that the small dose is helping. I hope that everything improves for you very soon.

I take fish oil, but I don't know if it helps me much. It doesn't seem like it for me either. I am not a big fish eater either. Like you said, I think it does depend on what your brain needs. Also, if whatever you are taking can pass the BBB, I suppose. :( Although, I thought that fish oil is supposed to pass the BBB?

Anyway, thank you and I wish you well. I will keep you posted. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users