• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hi all -
Well, as many of you know, I've tapered from 60mg to 5 since November. It hasn't been easy mainly diarrhea and bad anxiety -- but it was manageable until, well, my father died a few weeks ago. And it actually wasn't that alone, but that, combined with finding out that everything is going to my step-mother and that I (his only child) and my daughter (his only grandchild) have been completely excluded from his will, that set me off into a massive, unrelenting anxiety attack for many days on end. I don't really know how to convey how this anxiety felt -- just very sick to my stomach and thoughts firing in my head to the point where I couldn't concentrate on anything.

I went to my doctor who prescribed homeopathics that didn't do anything and then went back and he agreed to give me Prozac. I think I already actually began to feel a bit better today. I'm still on 5 mg of Cymvbalta. It's the anxiety that's really the worst. It makes it so that I cannot even think straight.

Please wish me luck. My husband is away and I'm here with my daughter and I really need my faculties. Thanks all.

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Queen, so sorry to hear of the death of your father. Even more sorry that he hasn't recognised you by leaving you something in his will. I can't even begin to imagine how that must make you feel.

As far as going onto Prozac - if that's what you need to do to get through - then you go girl. Remember, getting off Cymbalta is a goal, not a race. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow. In fact, it is best done when you are calm and able to cope with it. I think you've made the right decision by trying Prozac since it is supposed to be a LOT easier to get off than Cymbalta. I hope it works for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}
Junior

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Hi all -
Well, as many of you know, I've tapered from 60mg to 5 since November. It hasn't been easy mainly diarrhea and bad anxiety -- but it was manageable until, well, my father died a few weeks ago. And it actually wasn't that alone, but that, combined with finding out that everything is going to my step-mother and that I (his only child) and my daughter (his only grandchild) have been completely excluded from his will, that set me off into a massive, unrelenting anxiety attack for many days on end. I don't really know how to convey how this anxiety felt -- just very sick to my stomach and thoughts firing in my head to the point where I couldn't concentrate on anything.

I went to my doctor who prescribed homeopathics that didn't do anything and then went back and he agreed to give me Prozac. I think I already actually began to feel a bit better today. I'm still on 5 mg of Cymvbalta. It's the anxiety that's really the worst. It makes it so that I cannot even think straight.

Please wish me luck. My husband is away and I'm here with my daughter and I really need my faculties. Thanks all.

Hi Queen Timely,

sorry to hear so much is happening. I now take a very small dose of Prozac (unrelated to Cymbalta withdrawal) and found that even the 5mg I'm on made me LESS relaxed about things - not exactly lots of anxiety, but certainly difficult to sleep the first few nights.

That may just be me, but thought I'd pass that on anyway.

regards, Maureen.

#4 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hi Maureen

Why are you taking Prozac?
And yes, I've heard from many people that Prozac is actually quite stimulating. That would explain what you felt when you first went on it.

I am still on 25mg of Aropax and staying there for a while. Went for a job interview yesterday! And we are planning a trip to Europe in July 2011 - so now is NOT the time to do another drop! LOL!!

Cheers beers =D
Junior

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:50 AM

Hi Maureen

Why are you taking Prozac?
And yes, I've heard from many people that Prozac is actually quite stimulating. That would explain what you felt when you first went on it.

I am still on 25mg of Aropax and staying there for a while. Went for a job interview yesterday! And we are planning a trip to Europe in July 2011 - so now is NOT the time to do another drop! LOL!!

Cheers beers =D
Junior

On Prozac? Same reason as Cymbalta. :/

On the most minute dose though: 5mg

The stimulating effects passed very quickly, and weren't unpleasant. I was just awake a lot for the first few nights, but not tired, can't sleep awake, more just feeling like I didn't need to be in bed. Went up to 10mg (half the usual minimum therapeutic dose), but didn't like the side effects, so went back to 5mg and seem to be fine on that.

Good luck with the job interview!

cheers, Maureen.

#6 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Queen, so sorry to hear of the death of your father. Even more sorry that he hasn't recognised you by leaving you something in his will. I can't even begin to imagine how that must make you feel.

As far as going onto Prozac - if that's what you need to do to get through - then you go girl. Remember, getting off Cymbalta is a goal, not a race. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow. In fact, it is best done when you are calm and able to cope with it. I think you've made the right decision by trying Prozac since it is supposed to be a LOT easier to get off than Cymbalta. I hope it works for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}
Junior

What Junior said! ;) Definitely take your time getting off of it if you can. I wish my doctor had given me more support and options, but he didn't.

Stay strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users