• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 QueenTimely

QueenTimely

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationItaly, at present. Australia, usually. New York, originally!
  • why_joining:
    I am currently on Cymbalta after many years of other drugs including Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I had a terrible experience coming off of Effexor that resulted only in my going back on, then changing to Cymbalta. I feel, at this point, that the drugs are causing as many problems as the initial depression did, and am looking at the possibility of coming off but am living this year in rural Italy and need some real support in considering this possibility and its consequences.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Hi all -
As many know, I've reduced very slowly from 60mg to 5 mg over about 8 months but still experienced anxiety. All of this hit unprecedented intensity when my father died and then I learned that I'd been left out of his will. Then I tried the Prozac and it actually made my anxiety even worse, which is hard to imagine. At the advice of my cousin who's done the rounds with all of these medications, I've actually been taking about a half of a valium twice a day which has been a huge improvement. I'm going to my doctor today to get a script for lorazepam which has been strongly recommended for this kind of disabling anxiety. But I'm scared of dependency. And I'm unable to function at this level of anxiety. Does anyone have any thoughts? Will I become dependent at a low dose? I feel so trapped -- getting off the cymbalta has caused anxiety that makes me need an anti-anxiety drug. Where is all this going? I need advice, please.

#2 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:06 AM

Hi all -
As many know, I've reduced very slowly from 60mg to 5 mg over about 8 months but still experienced anxiety. All of this hit unprecedented intensity when my father died and then I learned that I'd been left out of his will. Then I tried the Prozac and it actually made my anxiety even worse, which is hard to imagine. At the advice of my cousin who's done the rounds with all of these medications, I've actually been taking about a half of a valium twice a day which has been a huge improvement. I'm going to my doctor today to get a script for lorazepam which has been strongly recommended for this kind of disabling anxiety. But I'm scared of dependency. And I'm unable to function at this level of anxiety. Does anyone have any thoughts? Will I become dependent at a low dose? I feel so trapped -- getting off the cymbalta has caused anxiety that makes me need an anti-anxiety drug. Where is all this going? I need advice, please.

Hi Queen

LOL it says you posted at 8.40pm but my clock says 7.53pm!!! Hmm.. must need to adjust my board settings for d/light savings....

Firstly, it is not uncommon for people to have more probs getting off a very low dose of an a/d than a higher one. I've seen it a few times and my naturopath has commented on it as well. I know of a couple of people who INCREASED their dose when things got too tough then tapered even more slowly later.
Second, lorazepam is a benzodiazepine and as such, is highly addictive. I know Xanax is at the higher end of the 'addictiveness spectrum' and Valium is at the lower end. Not sure where Ativan (Lorazepam) sits. If you use it from time to time, it will probably be ok, but try not to use it 2/3 times a day for a week or more. From all reports, benzos are harder to get off than a/ds and you really don't want to have to go down that road.
Third, your nervous system is more sensitive (than before) at the moment because of the Prozac. This may be the reason for your current anxiety and use of valium. If so, it should settle fairly soon. I'm sorry, I can't even guess how long because everyone is so different. I know you were using homeopathic supplements before. Maybe they could help again? I'm still taking stuff from naturopath to calm my nervous system, nuture my liver, etc., and they are still definitely helping.

Hope that helps
Oh and if I forget to check your response to this post feel free to PM me. I'll see that!
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users