• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Just went off Cymbalta after having tapered to 30 mg.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

Last week, Sunday 5/13 was my last dose of 30 mg. I had previously tapered from 60 mg to 30 mg about 2 months ago. I had no problem going down from 60 to 30. I felt a little off for only about a day. I knew that I potentially could experience a lot of symptoms with completely stopping, but so far I have not felt terrible. For the first few days I experienced a lot of tingling all over my body and "brain zapping" (more like brain buzzing I think...). I had a lot of trouble concentrating for about 2 days and felt very fatigued.

I increased some of the vitamins I take to hopefully help my body with the change. Who knows if it worked, but I felt better about it!

I had been feeling pretty good and I was hoping that it was the end of it... but last night I began to feel incredibly restless, irritable, and sexually aroused (for no reason) to boot. I felt like my skin was crawling! From the research that I have done, there are scholarly articles that refer to persistent genital arousal after stopping SSRI's. It's very frustrating and it does not feel good! I think the restlessness is on a similar plane. It is driving me crazy. I could barely sleep because I felt like I could not lay still. Even typing this I feel incredibly uncomfortable and like I want to get up and run around. I really don't, because I'm tired, but I can't take a nap! The genital arousal is just even more uncomfortable on top of that.

I called my doctor to see if I might be able to take something OTC to help with my symptoms at the moment. The nurse called me back to say that my doctor thought it was strange that it would be related, given that I stopped over a week ago from 30 mg. After reading everything I've found it doesn't sound strange to me! She recommended I try Benadryl at night (which I was going to try anyways). If not I will call back and she wants to check my liver function. Not sure how that is related to restlessness, but I will have to do a little research.

I just was wondering if other people have felt this restlessness, and how long it lasted for and if anything had helped.

Thanks!

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

Dear Ali:
I would like to know if I understood your weaning plan???....You say that you tapered from 60mg to 30mg for 2 months. But then you don´t explain how you went from 30mg to cero????? Did you go cold turkey?? or tapered slowly??

All that you mention: tingling, brain zapping, trouble concentrating, feeling fatigued are withdrawal symptoms.
Being irritable is also a withdrawal symptom. I also read on this site, someone who went restless and anxious after quitting cymbalta. However I do not know about being sexually aroused to the point of it not feeling good. In my case while on high doses of cymbalta I had no sexual desire at all. Now that I am on 25mg I feel a little bit more sexual desire.

I am not a doctor, just a cymbalta user. But from what I have read and learned through this site on real stories of withdrawal, it seems to me that what you are having are withdrawal symptoms and I DO think your symptoms are related to it, a week is such a short time.

hugs
Cookie

#3 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I had those same sexual desires like a raging bull for about 4 days. I thought I was a teenager again(I'm 44) I loved the mania high when I was at 30mg. I felt like I wanted to help the world and do great things... Now I'm two weeks off and have ear ringing in left ear and have started with the anxiety attacks. Keep a log. Find your good days and your bad days and how long they last. Find what works for you. I take a 1mg Xanax at night to help sleep. and take a .5 during the day if I'm over anxious. I notice I'm squeezing my toes a lot.

Keep us posted
-Ernie

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

I had those same sexual desires like a raging bull for about 4 days. I thought I was a teenager again(I'm 44) I loved the mania high when I was at 30mg. I felt like I wanted to help the world and do great things... Now I'm two weeks off and have ear ringing in left ear and have started with the anxiety attacks. Keep a log. Find your good days and your bad days and how long they last. Find what works for you. I take a 1mg Xanax at night to help sleep. and take a .5 during the day if I'm over anxious. I notice I'm squeezing my toes a lot.

Keep us posted
-Ernie

Hello Ernie:
You mentioned you experienced Mania when you were at 30mg? I would like to know if the mania went away once you quit cymbalta. I ask you this because I´ve experienced mood swings during weaning. Mood swings are something new to me, since I have suffered from major depression for 5 years and I was always low.
regards
Cookie

#5 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hello Ernie:
You mentioned you experienced Mania when you were at 30mg? I would like to know if the mania went away once you quit cymbalta. I ask you this because I´ve experienced mood swings during weaning. Mood swings are something new to me, since I have suffered from major depression for 5 years and I was always low.
regards
Cookie

I never had the type of high before in my life. It was like was over joyed at seeing people. I wanted to break up fights and hand out Coke a Cola. I even spent $50 on McDonald's gifts cards to hand them out to the homeless. And I hate to say it but normally I'm a cheap son of a gun.... I am happy I got the gift cards.... A little charity always helps people.

To answer your question the mania went away 13 days to the day after I stopped cymbalta. But remember I'm on 40 mg of prozac. I never had a problem with prozac, except for sexual/libido aspect. For a male that is very embarrassing not to be able to achieve an ejaculation because we can't fake it.

Hope this helps
-Ernie

#6 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Dear Ernie:
At least you did some charity while on mania ;)
It could´ve been worse.
Thank you for your response, it is very helpful
hugs
Cookie

#7 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

I never had the type of high before in my life. It was like was over joyed at seeing people. I wanted to break up fights and hand out Coke a Cola. I even spent $50 on McDonald's gifts cards to hand them out to the homeless. And I hate to say it but normally I'm a cheap son of a gun.... I am happy I got the gift cards.... A little charity always helps people.

To answer your question the mania went away 13 days to the day after I stopped cymbalta. But remember I'm on 40 mg of prozac. I never had a problem with prozac, except for sexual/libido aspect. For a male that is very embarrassing not to be able to achieve an ejaculation because we can't fake it.

Hope this helps
-Ernie

This first paragraph made my day. I actually burst out laughing at your mockery of yourself normally being 'cheap'.

As for the second: Good thing men can't fake it too; I wish women couldn't! Problems should lead to communication, not fakery. :rolleyes:

I'm only on 5mg of Prozac and it has a mild effect in that regard. Dammit.

cheers, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users