#1 Jennifer Scared

Jennifer Scared

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the process of weaning off.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I started taking Cymbalta probably 3 years ago for a back pain problem. It helped nicely. Like an idiot a year ago on vacation I started smoking again and it has me hooked so I wanted to take Chantax again to stop smoking. Well, I can't take both so I am weaning off the Cymbalta.

I never would have guessed this was going to be so hard. I am on 60 mg. and June 1 started taking it every other day and now going to every 2nd day. I can't believe how bad I feel. It is hard to even type this. My back pain is back and I am wondering if I should continue weaning or not.

Is it worth it? What is this doing long term to our bodies?

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

I started taking Cymbalta probably 3 years ago for a back pain problem. It helped nicely. Like an idiot a year ago on vacation I started smoking again and it has me hooked so I wanted to take Chantax again to stop smoking. Well, I can't take both so I am weaning off the Cymbalta.

I never would have guessed this was going to be so hard. I am on 60 mg. and June 1 started taking it every other day and now going to every 2nd day. I can't believe how bad I feel. It is hard to even type this. My back pain is back and I am wondering if I should continue weaning or not.

Alternate days doesn't work for most people with Cymbalta - it's doesn't have a long enough half life.

whatever dose you're taking, which is now 20mg per day TAKE per day, NOT 60mg every three days.

the only way to scale down is PER DAY.

regards, Maureen.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

Dear Jennifer Scared:
I agree with Maureen. It is better that you take cymbalta PER DAY not every other day.
I will summarize my story, to see if it helps you. I have been taking cymbalta for 5 years for severe Depression. During that same period (5 years) I smoked a pack of cigarrettes a day.
After reading this site I became very health conciouss and decided to quit everything (cymbalta and cigarrettes).
I read that you will take chantax to stop smoking. In my opinion, it is not good to quit, by taking another medicine.
After smoking one pack of cigarrettes a day I just stopped smoking one day. And to tell you the truth I feel so much better. Instead of taking chantax, maybe you could try yoga or exercise. I do yoga, and I don´t feel like smoking anymore.
About cymbalta, I took 60mg for 5 years, and started weaning slowly. It has taken me 6 weeks to go from 60mg down to 25mg by making small reductions every week. I have had symptoms but all of them manageable. There have been good and bad weeks. But still, in the bad weeks I have been able to exercise and socialize.
Hope this helped
Hugs
Cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users