• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    my husband was on Cymbalta for a year and stopped taking it 2 months ago. He still has withdrawl symptoms and it is effecting our lives together.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

It's actually my husband who I am writing about because his withdrawal is having such an impact on our relationship. It's been about 2 months now since he quit cold turkey - he had been taking 60mg for a year and was taking it for pain (not depression) and decided to stop because he 1) didn't think it really helped his pain and 2) didn't like the way it made him feel if he was late taking a dose. So now 2 months later he still has night sweats, dizzy spells and a few other typical symptoms - but the worst thing is his mood. He's actually become depressed. He has no desire to express any passion or joy about anything, we have no relationship that resembles husband and wife, he says his desire for any kind of sex is just gone. He feels dead inside. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm hoping it will eventually go away but 2 months seems like such a long time already.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

Dear Patti:
From what I´ve read on this site, cold turkey is the hardest way to quit cymbalta. Weaning slowly is less painful.
However I have also read, that things get difficult once people get to zero cymbalta even though they weaned slowly. Problems begin once you are off the med

I am so sorry to hear that your husband became Depressed after quitting cymbalta. I have suffered from severe depression for 5 years, and I can´t imagine what it feels like being mentally healthy and then becoming depressed when quitting a pill.

I am not a doctor, but I do believe that this Depression should go away, like the night sweats, dizzy spells, etc. They all are withdrawal symptoms.
I had another experience withdrawing from another medicine and I experienced heavy depression, which improved over time (4 months). If I was always prone to depression and I am so much better, I think that your husband will get better soon, based on the fact that he was a mentally healthy person who took cymbalta for pain (physical problem).

It is so nice of you to do research on cymbalta to help your husband. You have to be very patient with him. I also have experienced low sex drive and not having joy or passion for anything. It is so hard to know how long this will last for your hubby, every person is different. Just be patient.

Regards
Cookie

#3 Patti

Patti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    my husband was on Cymbalta for a year and stopped taking it 2 months ago. He still has withdrawl symptoms and it is effecting our lives together.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

Dear Patti:
From what I´ve read on this site, cold turkey is the hardest way to quit cymbalta. Weaning slowly is less painful.
However I have also read, that things get difficult once people get to zero cymbalta even though they weaned slowly. Problems begin once you are off the med

I am so sorry to hear that your husband became Depressed after quitting cymbalta. I have suffered from severe depression for 5 years, and I can´t imagine what it feels like being mentally healthy and then becoming depressed when quitting a pill.

I am not a doctor, but I do believe that this Depression should go away, like the night sweats, dizzy spells, etc. They all are withdrawal symptoms.
I had another experience withdrawing from another medicine and I experienced heavy depression, which improved over time (4 months). If I was always prone to depression and I am so much better, I think that your husband will get better soon, based on the fact that he was a mentally healthy person who took cymbalta for pain (physical problem).

It is so nice of you to do research on cymbalta to help your husband. You have to be very patient with him. I also have experienced low sex drive and not having joy or passion for anything. It is so hard to know how long this will last for your hubby, every person is different. Just be patient.

Regards
Cookie

Thank you Cookie.
I am doing all the research I can because I deeply love my husband and I want him to get better. Right now I feel like I'm living with a stranger and I miss the man I've been married to for 10 years. I take Effexor and Abilify for Fibromyalgia and it works for me, you would think it would help me avoid feeling so sad about all this but I find myself crying so much since this has begun. It's hard to be patient when I'm so lonely for my husband. I just miss him so much and it really hurts. Cymbalta hurts.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Dear Patti:
I haven´t had a real/constant partner since my depression started and started taking cymbalta. I just didn´t feel I could offer a man a real relationship (didn´t care for anybody, zero sex drive). I focused on myself.
So I think it must be difficult to your hubby this time of withdrawal.
Hope it gets better soon, so his mind becomes clear to express the real feelings for you.
Hugs
Cookie

#5 MsPea

MsPea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have had a lot of very odd, disturbing issues lately while trying to "get clean" from Big Pharma. BP has it's place but I would like to experience the "before" and "after" for myself this time.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:15 AM

It's actually my husband who I am writing about because his withdrawal is having such an impact on our relationship. It's been about 2 months now since he quit cold turkey - he had been taking 60mg for a year and was taking it for pain (not depression) and decided to stop because he 1) didn't think it really helped his pain and 2) didn't like the way it made him feel if he was late taking a dose. So now 2 months later he still has night sweats, dizzy spells and a few other typical symptoms - but the worst thing is his mood. He's actually become depressed. He has no desire to express any passion or joy about anything, we have no relationship that resembles husband and wife, he says his desire for any kind of sex is just gone. He feels dead inside. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm hoping it will eventually go away but 2 months seems like such a long time already.

Hey Patti,
My sister uses the same name, with an "i"!! =)
As someone who has been emotionally "abnormal" my entire life, I have to tell you that I believe in my heart and soul, those who are one way WILL return to themselves when all is righted. I don't know who I am after having been through all this crap before or after *"treatment"* but if your husband was "normal" at one point, I think he stands a very good possibility to be "normal" again. I believe we all need helps from time to time and most of the time that HELP does NOT have to be from a pill. But even if it does, that help only allows us the space and time to get over our stuff. God did not put us on this earth to fail but it is our judgement of character that will propel us to greatness and success. Look beyond your petty day-to-day crap and you will find an existence rich in life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users