Photo

Ernie's Diary

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Ernie's Diary (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have ringing in the ears

1. yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. no (0 votes [0.00%])

How long before it stopped

1. 2 weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 3 weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm 44 year old male who has been taking Prozac 20 mg for 10 years and Trazadone 50mg at night.

2 Months ago I was so stressed at work I went to see the phys Dr. and we talked about Cymbalta (April 15th). He said it had the added affect that it would get my sex drive going again.(He failed to mention side effects and withdraw) So I went for it. I started Cymbalta 60mg dropped the Prozac and continued with the 50mg Trazadone. At the same exact time my regular Dr. put me on AtaCand HTC 32-25mg and my blood pressure went from 140/100 down to around 130/90. Now at the 36 day mark I start to get uncontrollable anger spells. Now I have had these all my life pre-Prozac so I assumed the Prozac wore off and I was not getting enough Serotonin. Plus my sex drive came back like a raging bull. It felt like old times. But I knew I would soon be dangerous if I could not get my anger under control. So I called the phys doctor and told him I would rather be soft and happy then hard and angry. (You get the point) He told me to stop cymbalta and go back on Prozac. I also made the mistake of not taking my blood pressure med for fear that was making me grouchy since I went on it about the same time.

First day was a great day low stress now problems. The second day I was getting electric shocks to the head every 30 minutes. Day 3 (May 27th) shocks every 15 minutes standing up dizzy and anger fits. That afternoon I got so angry I slammed my fist down. Went outside to clean the pool and every time I would get up quick I would get a buzz shock in the brain. On one or two of the getting up to fast I noticed a slight ringing in my left ear. Days 4, 5 and 6 day terrible ear ringing (Left ear). I stuck with the Prozac, but started to read I'm might be having withdraw symptoms from cymbalta. (Each day the ring in the Left ear got worse.) I called my phys. Dr and he tells me to go back on blood pressure meds and cymbalta 30 mg for a week then cut it off. Now after reading that method would give me problems I decided to take matter into my own hands and go back to 60mg for a week, then the following week 30mg then the 3rd week 15mg. For 2 days of the ringing in ears got a little better, but still there, but my mood was like I was the happiest I’ve ever been. I then realized I was going through some type of Mania. I made it to the 2 week mark was feeling good except for the ear ringing. I took 2 days of 15 mg of cymbalta then stopped.

It was now June 15 (Day 1) and I’m on the following medication:

NO cymbalta,
40mg Prozac (1 in the morning 1 at night)
50mg Trazadone (at night, to help me sleep),
1mg Xanax, (Calm me down before bed)
Atacand hct 16-12.5mg
Isoxsuprine 10mg (Ear dr prescribed to me saying if a I broke any blood vessels in my ear it would help)
Quietus (Ear ringing Relief) (Got off the internet before I knew my withdraw was from cymbalta) Not sure if it even works (All natural)
Quietus (Ear drops) (Not sure it works) – Only as needed
Ben Gay (When ears ringing I think it distracts me) – Only as needed
==========================================================================

My major issue is ringing in the Ears:
Things that make it worse
----------------------------------
Stress
Loud noises (Music, Lawn tractor, etc)
Talking a lot
Hard Physical work
Ear plugs

Things that make it better
-----------------------------------
Talking to God and asking through his son Jesus to heal me. Like most of us we put God aside in the good times and start to turn back to him when trials and tribulation come our way.
Low stress
Sitting on floor of bathroom listening to shower
Recorded audio of shower and play it while I work
Xanax (1 mg or greater)
Boating
Distractions (Programming, fixing something that’s broke)
BenGay on face & Ears (I think it distracts me, it works so who cares
Sleep
Playing with my 13 teen year old boy (Little E)
Playing with Dogs (Shitzu, and Westie)
=================================================================================
********************************************************************************************************************************
It’s now Day 13. Left Ear’s still ringing, electric zaps in right ear Ringing is high pitched in left ear constantly. Ringing in right ear major high pitch but are like zaps of electricity.

Question1: Anyone else have the same thing with the ears?
Question2: Could the ear ringing be permanent
Question3: what are other options besides the ones I mentioned for silencing the ringing ears?
Question4: How long until the ear ringing stops… Seems to be getting worse

I did read Doobs Diary and felt encouraged but worried it took so long.

I would love to get some good answers from people who HAVE the SAME issues.

Thanks All
-Ernie

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:49 AM

I'm 44 year old male who has been taking Prozac 20 mg for 10 years and Trazadone 50mg at night.

2 Months ago I was so stressed at work I went to see the phys Dr. and we talked about Cymbalta (April 15th). He said it had the added affect that it would get my sex drive going again.(He failed to mention side effects and withdraw) So I went for it. I started Cymbalta 60mg dropped the Prozac and continued with the 50mg Trazadone. At the same exact time my regular Dr. put me on AtaCand HTC 32-25mg and my blood pressure went from 140/100 down to around 130/90. Now at the 36 day mark I start to get uncontrollable anger spells. Now I have had these all my life pre-Prozac so I assumed the Prozac wore off and I was not getting enough Serotonin. Plus my sex drive came back like a raging bull. It felt like old times. But I knew I would soon be dangerous if I could not get my anger under control. So I called the phys doctor and told him I would rather be soft and happy then hard and angry. (You get the point) He told me to stop cymbalta and go back on Prozac. I also made the mistake of not taking my blood pressure med for fear that was making me grouchy since I went on it about the same time.

First day was a great day low stress now problems. The second day I was getting electric shocks to the head every 30 minutes. Day 3 (May 27th) shocks every 15 minutes standing up dizzy and anger fits. That afternoon I got so angry I slammed my fist down. Went outside to clean the pool and every time I would get up quick I would get a buzz shock in the brain. On one or two of the getting up to fast I noticed a slight ringing in my left ear. Days 4, 5 and 6 day terrible ear ringing (Left ear). I stuck with the Prozac, but started to read I'm might be having withdraw symptoms from cymbalta. (Each day the ring in the Left ear got worse.) I called my phys. Dr and he tells me to go back on blood pressure meds and cymbalta 30 mg for a week then cut it off. Now after reading that method would give me problems I decided to take matter into my own hands and go back to 60mg for a week, then the following week 30mg then the 3rd week 15mg. For 2 days of the ringing in ears got a little better, but still there, but my mood was like I was the happiest I’ve ever been. I then realized I was going through some type of Mania. I made it to the 2 week mark was feeling good except for the ear ringing. I took 2 days of 15 mg of cymbalta then stopped.

It was now June 15 (Day 1) and I’m on the following medication:

NO cymbalta,
40mg Prozac (1 in the morning 1 at night)
1mg Xanax, (Calm me down before bed)
Atacand hct 16-12.5mg
Isoxsuprine 10mg (Ear dr prescribed to me saying if a I broke any blood vessels in my ear it would help)
Quietus (Ear ringing Relief) (Got off the internet before I knew my withdraw was from cymbalta) Not sure if it even works (All natural)
Quietus (Ear drops) (Not sure it works) – Only as needed

Stress
Loud noises (Music, Lawn tractor, etc)
Talking a lot
Hard Physical work
Ear plugs

Talking to God and asking through his son Jesus to heal me. Like most of us we put God aside in the good times and start to turn back to him when trials and tribulation come our way.
Low stress
Sitting on floor of bathroom listening to shower
Recorded audio of shower and play it while I work
Xanax (1 mg or greater)
Boating
Distractions (Programming, fixing something that’s broke)
BenGay on face & Ears (I think it distracts me, it works so who cares
Sleep
Playing with my 13 teen year old boy (Little E)
Playing with Dogs (Shitzu, and Westie)
=================================================================================
********************************************************************************************************************************
It’s now Day 13. Left Ear’s still ringing, electric zaps in right ear Ringing is high pitched in left ear constantly. Ringing in right ear major high pitch but are like zaps of electricity.

Question1: Anyone else have the same thing with the ears?
Question2: Could the ear ringing be permanent
Question3: what are other options besides the ones I mentioned for silencing the ringing ears?
Question4: How long until the ear ringing stops… Seems to be getting worse

I did read Doobs Diary and felt encouraged but worried it took so long.

I would love to get some good answers from people who HAVE the SAME issues.

Thanks All
-Ernie

As everyone's experience can be a little different, it's hard to compare, but the list of withdrawal effects is so long, it's hardly surprising.

Tinnitus is a significant one - it certainly was for me, along with the rage.

I was also on double that dose of atacand for many years with no significant side effects, although that doesn't mean the next person won't. Raised blood pressure is also a common withdrawal effect with Cymbalta, so it's probably a good idea to stick with it at the moment.

regards, Maureen.

#3 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Maureen for answering!!!! Just your reponse gave me a little hope.

I almost feel like I'm going at this alone....

Day 14 June 28

Woke up with left ear ringing. Made a recording on my ipod of an hour long white noise. It does help to mask it.
Very tired an not with it. Spleepy..... Trying to throw myself into my work.
-Praying for all of you!
-Ernie

#4 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

Thanks Maureen for answering!!!! Just your reponse gave me a little hope.

I almost feel like I'm going at this alone....

Day 14 June 28

Woke up with left ear ringing. Made a recording on my ipod of an hour long white noise. It does help to mask it.
Very tired an not with it. Spleepy..... Trying to throw myself into my work.
-Praying for all of you!
-Ernie

It's certainly worthwhile spending some time reading a lot of the older posts. You'll almost 'see yourself' in many of them.

That's what it was like for me, anyway, at the start. Knowing other people 'out there' are going through the same thing.

Keep in mind, too, that for every one who posts, there are dozens more out there reading your posts, so it helps them, too.

regards, maureen.

#5 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Again Maureen, I can't thank you enough for the encouragement.

June 27 2010, Day 14 off Cymbalta
I had a hard day of it. I had to take a .5 of Xanax because I was losing it around noon. I ended up yelling at my boss. While this is not a good thing and I apologized to him later, that is the only way he respects people. I think we can all relate to that kind of person. I started to use the IPod to generate white noise because the noise was getting so bad, it did help. I’m using it constantly now. Came home walked the dogs, a Westie(Katie), Cairn Terry(Tucker), and my baby Shitzu (Belle). I was so tired I guess from the Xanax I took at noon that I went right to bed on the couch at 9pm. Did not sleep because my wife woke me up and I went upstairs to bed. Final note: first day without right ear sending high pitched electric shocks.

------------------
June 28 2010, Day 15 off Cymbalta
Better today only because I had a ton of work to do and had the white noise going most of the day. My co-workers at this hunt-valley are very sympathetic and know what I'm going through so they make it a little more cheerful during the day. Plus the Boss did not call once. He is a major stress factor. I've never had such a highly stressful job and such a terrible manager. In this day and age there is not much any of my co-works and I can do about it so we grin an bare it so we have jobs. I bet most of you can relate!

The pysch Doctor called today and I told him how I was progressing. He said the Cymbalta should be out of my system in 2 weeks. I was like huh? Read these boards and get a clue. It may be out of my system but the withdrawal is killing me. He's a smart guy so we went through the list of possibilities. Long story short he said it could be the anxiety which is causing me to have the ringing in the ear. I did not agree with him because I'm very relaxed as I’m writing this and still have the ringing. It's true though it gets worse when I'm under a lot of pressure at work like yesterday or doing physical work like mowing the grass.

I'm still assuming the ringing in my left ear is from Cymbalta withdraw or I broke some blood vessels in one of those initial shocks that have not healed. I have noticed in the morning when I wake up I don't hear the noise, but once I'm up and going the noise starts. Any ideas on that one?
I have an appetite but not much of one. Weight down from 240lbs to 222 lbs. Not my ideal way to lose weight.
Cold things in my mouth and 7-eleven slurpee’s seem to calm me... Go figure.

Blood pressure 29/88 87 beats per minutes

-Ernie

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:56 AM

Again Maureen, I can't thank you enough for the encouragement.

June 27 2010, Day 14 off Cymbalta
I had a hard day of it. I had to take a .5 of Xanax because I was losing it around noon. I ended up yelling at my boss. While this is not a good thing and I apologized to him later, that is the only way he respects people. I think we can all relate to that kind of person. I started to use the IPod to generate white noise because the noise was getting so bad, it did help. I’m using it constantly now. Came home walked the dogs, a Westie(Katie), Cairn Terry(Tucker), and my baby Shitzu (Belle). I was so tired I guess from the Xanax I took at noon that I went right to bed on the couch at 9pm. Did not sleep because my wife woke me up and I went upstairs to bed. Final note: first day without right ear sending high pitched electric shocks.

------------------
June 28 2010, Day 15 off Cymbalta
Better today only because I had a ton of work to do and had the white noise going most of the day. My co-workers at this hunt-valley are very sympathetic and know what I'm going through so they make it a little more cheerful during the day. Plus the Boss did not call once. He is a major stress factor. I've never had such a highly stressful job and such a terrible manager. In this day and age there is not much any of my co-works and I can do about it so we grin an bare it so we have jobs. I bet most of you can relate!

The pysch Doctor called today and I told him how I was progressing. He said the Cymbalta should be out of my system in 2 weeks. I was like huh? Read these boards and get a clue. It may be out of my system but the withdrawal is killing me. He's a smart guy so we went through the list of possibilities. Long story short he said it could be the anxiety which is causing me to have the ringing in the ear. I did not agree with him because I'm very relaxed as I’m writing this and still have the ringing. It's true though it gets worse when I'm under a lot of pressure at work like yesterday or doing physical work like mowing the grass.

I'm still assuming the ringing in my left ear is from Cymbalta withdraw or I broke some blood vessels in one of those initial shocks that have not healed. I have noticed in the morning when I wake up I don't hear the noise, but once I'm up and going the noise starts. Any ideas on that one?
I have an appetite but not much of one. Weight down from 240lbs to 222 lbs. Not my ideal way to lose weight.
Cold things in my mouth and 7-eleven slurpee’s seem to calm me... Go figure.

Blood pressure 29/88 87 beats per minutes

-Ernie

Tinnitus is definitely one of those things that you 'notice' much more with stress. I've had heaps of tinnitus, some times worse than others, but if I stop to 'listen' to it, it gets worse and if I can ignore it - the white noise idea - it's less bothersome. If you have a look at some info on it you'll see what I mean.

I can see where the doctor's coming from, and I was sure as heck stressed when I was withdrawing, BUT long after the most stressful part had passed, the tinnitus lasted, so i agree with you, it's definitely withdrawal CAUSED and perhaps anxiety EXACERBATED.

cheers, Maureen.

#7 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

Tinnitus is definitely one of those things that you 'notice' much more with stress. I've had heaps of tinnitus, some times worse than others, but if I stop to 'listen' to it, it gets worse and if I can ignore it - the white noise idea - it's less bothersome. If you have a look at some info on it you'll see what I mean.

I can see where the doctor's coming from, and I was sure as heck stressed when I was withdrawing, BUT long after the most stressful part had passed, the tinnitus lasted, so i agree with you, it's definitely withdrawal CAUSED and perhaps anxiety EXACERBATED.

cheers, Maureen.

June 30 – 15 days of Cymbalta

Had a rough day today. Maureen, I think you and the doctor are right. I at times today I only had a little ringing but I got so anxious I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. Another weird thing happened today. The ringing stopped in my left ear then went to the right ear. Then it stop all together and there was static in my brain in the back of my head. This would be quite funny if it were not happening to me. I took a .5 Xanax in the morning when my Director came down to give us the yearly speech on how the company cares about us. What a joke. He meant well, but everyone in the room told him flat out the problem is with executives who could care less about the people because they have their castles to go home too. He’s a good guy caught in the middle like all of us at my company. I did pull him aside later and tell him what was going on with me and that I will try with all my strength not to stop working, but in case I had to, it was because I had lost it and did not want to have a break down at work. He seem to really care which gave me a boost.
I love to program computers and think that is one of my only good skills. That and going to yard-sales. As you can tell grammar never was my strong point. But I have a lot of manual task that I automate. Programming the little help macro’s makes me feel good about myself and course makes my job easier.
I also took a Propanol today and that helped. If any of you have anxiety asks your doctor about it. It’s not habit forming and slows your heart rate down. I almost prefer it to the Xanax because it non addicting. Read up on it and how they give it to soldiers after a major battle. It’s so good it’s banned at the Olympics because it makes the runner more relaxed without losing their strength. I always took it before I got on an airplane and giving a speech.
Anyone have good diet plans? I’m losing weight fast and force my food down. So I might as well eat something that is good for me because I have no taste.
Once again Maureen thanks for hanging in there for me. You’re the best!

Blood Pressure: 121/77 (But I did just take a Xanax 40minutes ago)

-Ernie

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

June 30 – 15 days of Cymbalta

Had a rough day today. Maureen, I think you and the doctor are right. I at times today I only had a little ringing but I got so anxious I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. Another weird thing happened today. The ringing stopped in my left ear then went to the right ear. Then it stop all together and there was static in my brain in the back of my head. This would be quite funny if it were not happening to me. I took a .5 Xanax in the morning when my Director came down to give us the yearly speech on how the company cares about us. What a joke. He meant well, but everyone in the room told him flat out the problem is with executives who could care less about the people because they have their castles to go home too. He’s a good guy caught in the middle like all of us at my company. I did pull him aside later and tell him what was going on with me and that I will try with all my strength not to stop working, but in case I had to, it was because I had lost it and did not want to have a break down at work. He seem to really care which gave me a boost.
I love to program computers and think that is one of my only good skills. That and going to yard-sales. As you can tell grammar never was my strong point. But I have a lot of manual task that I automate. Programming the little help macro’s makes me feel good about myself and course makes my job easier.
I also took a Propanol today and that helped. If any of you have anxiety asks your doctor about it. It’s not habit forming and slows your heart rate down. I almost prefer it to the Xanax because it non addicting. Read up on it and how they give it to soldiers after a major battle. It’s so good it’s banned at the Olympics because it makes the runner more relaxed without losing their strength. I always took it before I got on an airplane and giving a speech.
Anyone have good diet plans? I’m losing weight fast and force my food down. So I might as well eat something that is good for me because I have no taste.
Once again Maureen thanks for hanging in there for me. You’re the best!

Blood Pressure: 121/77 (But I did just take a Xanax 40minutes ago)

-Ernie

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I assume you mean propranolol? You know it's main use years ago was as a blood pressure drug? Have just looked it up and see that it's also used as an anti anxiety because of the way it slows the heart down by blocking adrenaline. Wouldn't be good for anyone with low blood pressure though, although they're few and far between when it comes to Cymbalta withdrawal!

regards, Maureen.

#9 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

July 1, 2010

Took 3 propanol today. 1 mg. First two did the job. Third one did "OK". Now did my nightly Xanax 1 mg. Feel much better. Anyone take more that 1 mg per day? I just don't want to get hooked on to another devil drug. My most stressful times are talking to my boss. He is so bad of a human being I have to just pray for him. Nothing works except yelling at him. He needs Prozac or a major situation to get his priority right in life.

I'm supposed to go camping this week and am scared about panic attacks. Keep me your thoughts and prayers.

Blood pressure as of 11pm after Xanax: 106X69 89beats. (is that to low?)

Take Care all:
-Ernie

#10 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

I had off today but did some repair work on the camper. I took to propanol 9 and at 12. Worked a little. Got really axious all day long. Finally at 6pm took .5 Xanax and it helped. Got my appetite back enought to eat a peanut butter sandwich and a can of raw tuna. It's the feeling like being on a roller coaster going up and the sick feeling you get. Ear rang today. Brain did the high pitched squell when I was working hard. The more physical I work the higher the pitch ringing in the brain. When will this stop???? I'm so weary... Just want it to go away.

Blood preasure 109/74 73beats...

I just want to be free of this.... I'm depressed about the company who makes it and the dr who did not warn me of all this side effects...

Pray for me gang I'm going camping with the family up and the family reuion for the 4th. I'm afraid to stay home and afraid to go...

-Ernie

#11 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

July 1, 2010

Took 3 propanol today. 1 mg. First two did the job. Third one did "OK". Now did my nightly Xanax 1 mg. Feel much better. Anyone take more that 1 mg per day? I just don't want to get hooked on to another devil drug. My most stressful times are talking to my boss. He is so bad of a human being I have to just pray for him. Nothing works except yelling at him. He needs Prozac or a major situation to get his priority right in life.

I'm supposed to go camping this week and am scared about panic attacks. Keep me your thoughts and prayers.

Blood pressure as of 11pm after Xanax: 106X69 89beats. (is that to low?)

Take Care all:
-Ernie

Can you let me know if I'm wrong about assuming it's propranolol you're talking about? , otherwise we're barking up different trees.

If it IS propranolol, it's going to reduce your blood pressure. Low blood pressure is different things to different people. In the absence of other problems, it would normally be considered to be LESS THAN 100/60. However, it doesn't much matter what the 'sitting' reading is (provided it's normal-ish), rather, what happens when you stand up. (If you're taking it with a home machine it's important to do it correctly - the machine should generally be at about the level of your heart). After having massively high blood pressure 'cured' I ended up with low blood pressure for a while, but it was the orthostatic hypOtension which was my biggest problem - the amount the systolic reading dropped after standing. Let me know if you're interested in more.

regards, Maureen.

#12 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

Can you let me know if I'm wrong about assuming it's propranolol you're talking about? , otherwise we're barking up different trees.

If it IS propranolol, it's going to reduce your blood pressure. Low blood pressure is different things to different people. In the absence of other problems, it would normally be considered to be LESS THAN 100/60. However, it doesn't much matter what the 'sitting' reading is (provided it's normal-ish), rather, what happens when you stand up. (If you're taking it with a home machine it's important to do it correctly - the machine should generally be at about the level of your heart). After having massively high blood pressure 'cured' I ended up with low blood pressure for a while, but it was the orthostatic hypOtension which was my biggest problem - the amount the systolic reading dropped after standing. Let me know if you're interested in more.

regards, Maureen.

Yes... Please send me anything you got. I'm not doing good in the morning. Major panick attacks... I'm going 6 hrs away to family reunion and am all messed up. I'm wonder if the prozac is going through it rounds of sucide feelings...

I hook up my pc when i get up there. Keep me in prayer.
-ernie

#13 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes... Please send me anything you got. I'm not doing good in the morning. Major panick attacks... I'm going 6 hrs away to family reunion and am all messed up. I'm wonder if the prozac is going through it rounds of sucide feelings...

I hook up my pc when i get up there. Keep me in prayer.
-ernie

It's hard to know what to suggest, because it's an unfortunate pattern with going off Cymbalta cold turkey - I've lost track of how quickly you stopped - and the only genuine solution to feeling o.k. again is Cymbalta, because that's what your brain's missing.

Try reading Doob's diary and that may give you some hope, or send him a PM. He did it cold turkey and found, like you that the highs and lows were fairly dramatic, but DID tend to improve over time.

All I can suggest with the stress of the family bizzo is to try to keep telling yourself that you're not the REAL you. Your brain is busy still trying to get back to its pre-cymbalta state.

One of the withdrawal effects listed for all these anti-depressants, and one which we sometimes only recognize afterwards is 'depersonalization'. Try to remember that your brain is busy elsewhere and not to expect to much of yourself because your body at this stage just doesn't have the resources to deal with the angst and aggravation of everyday life.

That aspect was very bad for me - the whole world seemed to be made up of idiots and selfish people who just didn't 'get' where I was coming from. I can now look back and laugh at myself, and still keep apologizing to one particular friend who copped the brunt of it.

Stay in touch, even if it's just to vent.

Haven't touched on the blood pressure stuff because it sounds like it's the least of your problems at this stage.

regards, Maureen.

#14 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

It's hard to know what to suggest, because it's an unfortunate pattern with going off Cymbalta cold turkey - I've lost track of how quickly you stopped - and the only genuine solution to feeling o.k. again is Cymbalta, because that's what your brain's missing.

Try reading Doob's diary and that may give you some hope, or send him a PM. He did it cold turkey and found, like you that the highs and lows were fairly dramatic, but DID tend to improve over time.

All I can suggest with the stress of the family bizzo is to try to keep telling yourself that you're not the REAL you. Your brain is busy still trying to get back to its pre-cymbalta state.

One of the withdrawal effects listed for all these anti-depressants, and one which we sometimes only recognize afterwards is 'depersonalization'. Try to remember that your brain is busy elsewhere and not to expect to much of yourself because your body at this stage just doesn't have the resources to deal with the angst and aggravation of everyday life.

That aspect was very bad for me - the whole world seemed to be made up of idiots and selfish people who just didn't 'get' where I was coming from. I can now look back and laugh at myself, and still keep apologizing to one particular friend who copped the brunt of it.

Stay in touch, even if it's just to vent.

Haven't touched on the blood pressure stuff because it sounds like it's the least of your problems at this stage.

regards, Maureen.

We made the 6 hours trip fine. I was so tired I had to sleep last 3 hours. I drove the first 3. When I was setting up the camper The dogs were all barking at the new dogs and I got so enraged I pick the little dog (Belle, my baby) up and screamed for her to stop barking. I scared myself so bad that I fell down and cried (Which I never do, atleast not on prozac. I snapped. I was so terrified I ended up like one of those guys who went and killed his family. MY wife talked me down. She's be very understanding. But I know spouses have there limits too. I was ashamed to let my son see me cry. I told him it was just the chemicals in my brain. He's an angel of course and rub my back and told me it was going to be ok. My daughter is in the rough teenage years and just thinks I need an operation. I don't want to kill myself because my sister-in-law just lost her husband to a long drawn out suicide attempted that ended in him burning himself up to the point he lived 4 years and countless operations only to die choking to death because the scares in his throat. Of course this crushed her. This was the same week I tried getting off cymbalta. I know I would destroy my family's live by taking mine. But I'm just in so my agony. The ringing ears never stop. It's the right ear, then the left ear, then its the brain humming. It's like it will never end. Xanax takes the edge off. I'm trying to keep it to 1mg to 1.5mg. I afraid of getting addicted too it. I hate to see the withdraw of real drugs like cocaine.

Tuesday will be my 3rd week of cymbalta 21 days.

Thanks so my Maureen for being there. It feels better just know somebody else is out there thinking of me and knowing what I'm going through!

-Ernie

#15 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

July 4th,
Day 19 of cymbalta

=================================================================
I had to take .5 mg xanax in the morning and another around 2pm. I was like a zombie at the reunion. The only thing that made me laugh was when my Father-inlaw spill something down his shirt and said, Don't worry its just ham grease. I was laughing because that is so hard to get out. Slept from 10am-1am. Then from 3pm - 6pm. It's now 10:27pm and am winding down with the dogs. Ears just a buzzing, so i took a .5 Xanax.

#16 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

July 6th - Full updates
9:30pm
---------------------
6’4
White male
222.5 lbs
=====================================================
Blood Pressure: 115 /75 67
21 days without Cymbalta,
45 days on 20mg Prozac
White Noise on IPod
Day 28 40mg Prozac (1 in the morning 1 at night)
1mg Xanax, (Calm me down before bed) (another 1 mg throughout the day to help me cope)
Atacand hct 16-12.5mg (I had to cut this in half again because of too low of blood pressure.
Isoxsuprine 10mg need to get refill
Quietus (Ear ringing Relief) (Got off the internet before I knew my withdraw was from cymbal-ta) Not sure if it even works (All natural) I take when I remember too
Quietus (Ear drops) (Not sure it works) – Only as needed take when I remember

1. Work/Job
2. Hard Physical work Especially in Heat (90'-100)
3. Stress
4. Loud noises (Music, Lawn tractor, etc)
5. Talking a lot
5. Ear plugs
6. Wife not realizing I'm not superman anymore and can't do all the heavy lifting.
7. Hearing bad news. It seems like people are dying all around me. Brother in-law. Sister in-law going downhill, Grandpa’s stroke
8. Teenage Daughter Drama, never seems to be satisfied. (I bought a book and am trying to read it.)

1. Talking to God and asking through his son Jesus to heal me. Like most of us we put God aside in the good times and start to turn back to him when trials and tribulation come our way.
3. Low stress
4. Teaching Little Ernie something new
5. Sitting on floor of bathroom listening to shower
6. Recorded audio of shower and play it while I work
7. Tinnitus Master Deluxe (I need to pay for that) (FYI to self)
8. Xanax (1 mg or greater) up to 2mg a day
9. Boating
4. Talking to my sister Debbie. (She's been really sweat to me and great sister. We seem to relate a lot of issues
5. Mom and Dad Support: I found it hard to explain what I’m going through with them, because they see their son hurting and would die for me but it's hard for me to let them see me like this. I usually am their strong son who can move mountains. I know it kills them to see me like this.
10. Distractions (Programming, fixing something that’s broke)
11. BenGay on face & Ears (I think it distracts me, it works so who cares
12. Good night Sleep (when I wake up I feel like old times but slowly start to hear the ringing)
13. Playing with my 13 teen year old boy (Little E)
14. Playing with Dogs (Shitzu, and Westie) their barking is getting little on my nerves when we were away
15. Going into my daytime Fantasy life where I'm somebody else doing great and wonderful things. I loved that movie Avatar.
My daytime Fantasy our like that when I get stress or bored. My wife says, she and I are so different in that way.

New section (Things needed to be changed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Read scripture (Bible) Buy audio mp3
2. Stop cheating on the little things like stealing mp3, Video, and games of the internet.
3. Respect rules.
4. Forgive myself of my sins and repent daily and thank God for my life.
5. Not only repent of my sins but correct the ones I can correct.
6. I met my son I have never met in 25 years and my heart broke at some of the hard times he had to go through while growing up. I really screwed that one up. He deserves so my better of a life. But he's a strong one with a low temper, not like me who had a bad one for years. So I think he’s going to be alright. I pray God chooses him.
7. Get a parental control for the kids and myself on the internet and turn over password to wife. (How embarrassing)
8. Need to take vitiams.
9. Need to see a real ear/eyes/and throat doctor. They guy I saw did not do enough test for broken things in the ear
10 .Need to raise blood pressure. I normally run high like normally like (140/100) now down to 115/75, I think it's too low.

**************************************************************************************
Had a good day if not a great day coming back home from PA. Took a 1mg Xanax in morning 9pm and seem to last all day. .25 and .5
mg don't seem to cut it. Slept in car for 3 hours, wife drove, then drove the rest. Low stress. Wife told me not to check work and I did not.
After the kids and I unpacked the trailer terrible ringing in left ear for about an hour had to do another 1mg Xanax.
Better now and hungry

I have not has a brain zap in 2 days, but left ears still ringing, especially after hard work, stress, Boss etc…). If I could pray for that boss of mine I truly believe I could move a mountain like Jesus says in the Bible. I just can't get it out of my mind that he is an evil man. He’s from India and normally they are wonderful people. He delights in conflict. And yes I know the world is full of these people.

Tomorrow will be my first day back after long weekend so going to the place where my friends are.

P.S. I think I know what people gain weight on Cymbalta so fast. I will right a separate post on that issue tomorrow. I hope whoever reads this diary can maybe get a little insight or even hope to what they’re going through.

-Ernie

#17 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

July 7th
22 days without Cymbalta,

Today and yesterday I tried a new experiment. I took a 1mg Xanax in the morning and 1mg at night (7pm-9pm) It's made a world of difference with my anxiety, however I checked with the Pharmacy doctor and he said in 30 days I would be hooked on Xanax and would have to go through withdraw or increasing my dosage. I was hoping to give my mind a break for a week and see were it lead me. The ringing in the ear is tolerable with that much Xanax and I can still do my job. But of course I don't want to swap one demon for another. So my plan is to get some real hard core test for my ear and see if something is busted. Also, I'm going to see a TMJ person to see if therapy would help. I also may end up going to talk to a Christian counselor so I'm not flying blind. All the pharmacist and Phys Dr say it should be a cake walk since I only took it for 40 days. I feel fine except for the ringing which gives me a panic attach. I wish I knew if it's the cymbalta or I busted something when one of the major Zaps hit me, because my blood pressure was high at the time.

No Zaps in 3 days

-Ernie

#18 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:30 PM

July 8th
23 days without Cymbalta,

Did not take my Xanax until around 12 noon 1MG. Wow I was like a spaceman. I read I could get hook on Xanax in 30 days and kinda freaked me out, however had a horrible afternoon with the Crazy Boss. So I needed it. I will now refer to my boss as the "Sand Counter", because he manages his people like he counts the grains of sand on the beach. Micro manager does not even come close to describing him. Thank the Dear Lord I'm not in the same location as he is or I hate to think what I would have done to him. Was pretty buzzed coming home but because of all the action at work I was pretty alert. Got home played with the dogs and cleaned the pool, then just walked the neighborhood with my two favorite dogs Belle and Katie. Tucker the bad one was digging up something, so he stayed home. He's as nutty as I am... Watched a discover channel show on beavers building dams then Doffins. Nice and relaxing. Took a .5 Xanax and my prozac 20mg and 50mg trazadone and going to bed. Had brain buzz today and ringing in left ear. Mood not to bad.

-Ernie

#19 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:
    I wish to stop taking cymbalta with the least amount of side effects possible

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Ernie,

Glad to hear you are doing better :)

Yeah, the xanax was a b*&ch for me to kick. Actually, thats why my Dr started me on cymbalta. Im done with meds whose withdrawal is worse than the emotional issues it was prescribed to treat.

:)

KrisAnn

#20 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm cutting down on the Xanax. I did a half(.5mg) last night and then another half tonight. I'll go at that for a while before I kick it to 1/4 then down to nothing. Feeling good today, but heard people got off to quick and got like major flu like symptoms. I think my prozac is kicking in because I did not panic today and did not need to take a Xanax. Any suggestions on withdraw from Xanax? How long were u on it?

-Ernie

#21 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

I'm cutting down on the Xanax. I did a half(.5mg) last night and then another half tonight. I'll go at that for a while before I kick it to 1/4 then down to nothing. Feeling good today, but heard people got off to quick and got like major flu like symptoms. I think my prozac is kicking in because I did not panic today and did not need to take a Xanax. Any suggestions on withdraw from Xanax? How long were u on it?

-Ernie

Its hard to remember exactly how long I was on the xanax. I was having really bad panic attacks at work, I think last May or June. I quit taking the xanax 5 or 6 months ago. I did pretty good for about a week then I was VERY edgy and couldnt sleep. I went to the Dr after I hadn't slept for about 4 days. I don't think I could have handled weaning off more than one medication at a time without killing someone! ;) I think you are handling this the right way in doing one medication weaning at a time.

KrisAnn

#22 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

July 11th 2010
Day 26 off Cymbalta

Yesterday I had a fantastic day hardly any zaps and my mode majorly improved. Praise GOD!!!!!
I cut down from 2 Xanax (.5) to .5 only at night. I was anxious yesterday but felt great.

Today I have the typical ringing in the ears and the Zaps. But at least my mode is on an up swing. I give all the credit to God who allowed the makers of prozac to create it. I'm on 40mg about 6 weeks. I am getting zaps today but sitting down and resting stops them. Doing deep breathing helps and doing Christian meditation works too. Basically I go through a body relaxing like hypnosis but do it praising God and Jesus Christ. At least I feel like I can breath, where before I was drowning.

The Zaps are like one of the Black lightning Balls you would see at "Spencors". Remember how you would put your finger to the ball and the bolt would come out to your finger. I include a photo that I downloaded from the internet. I'm not really sure what triggers the spike. I heard people say moving their eyes would do it. But have not associated anything with it yet. But the main thing is I feel better. I feel like I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Still getting probably hundreds a day but at least they have changed somehow. Maybe it's just my mode.

Thanks for everyones support. People who respond to these forums are making a huge difference in people lives. You will never know how I felt just getting responses. Thank you.

That's it for now....
-Ernie

Attached Files

#23 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

July 12th 2010 2:24pm est
Day 27 off Cymbalta

I had a major hurricane of Zaps in the morning. Was nauseated and felt like my held was being electrocuted. After the storm of lightning (90 mins) I got terrible migraine I got a terrible panic attach. Tried a few things, but in the end about 20 min ago I broke down and took a 1mg Xanax... I just pray I don't get hooked. I never did drugs or alcohol but saw so many of my friends lose their life to illegal drugs. I just don't want to end up a junky doing detox...

I take .5 at night for the past 3 nights only and just had to take took a 1mg Xanax at 2pm....

***Keep me in your prayers. Any adive when the lighting stikes in my head?

-Ernie

#24 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

July 13th 2010 11:22pm est
Day 28 off Cymbalta

I have a bad feeling I'm hooked on Xanax. I took it for atleast 30 days at 1mg. My body is very sensitive. I was hopeing for advice on stopping the panic attachs along with the Storm of electricty (Brain Zaps). Also, am I expected to much to be done with Cymbalta by now as far as withdraw goes.

-Ernie

#25 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

July 13th 2010 11:22pm est
Day 28 off Cymbalta

I have a bad feeling I'm hooked on Xanax. I took it for atleast 30 days at 1mg. My body is very sensitive. I was hopeing for advice on stopping the panic attachs along with the Storm of electricty (Brain Zaps). Also, am I expected to much to be done with Cymbalta by now as far as withdraw goes.

-Ernie

One thing at a time. Wait til the cymbalta withdrawal is over then concentrate on your concern about xanax when its over. I was on xanax for quite a while and I managed to get off it, you will too. :)

If you are still having zaps you are probably still going thru withdrawal. I have heard that ativan is far less addictive than xanax, perhaps you could do some research on that and see if it would help you?

Good luck, glad to hear your doing better :)

KrisAnn

#26 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

One thing at a time. Wait til the cymbalta withdrawal is over then concentrate on your concern about xanax when its over. I was on xanax for quite a while and I managed to get off it, you will too. :)

If you are still having zaps you are probably still going thru withdrawal. I have heard that ativan is far less addictive than xanax, perhaps you could do some research on that and see if it would help you?

Good luck, glad to hear your doing better :)

KrisAnn

July 13th
Day 29 off Cymbalta

KrissAnn,

Thanks so much KrisAnn for your reply!!! I really needed someone to reach out and say something... You made my night!

KrissAnn could you tell me how long you were on your Xanax and the dosage. Did you take it regularly? Or just when you had panic attacks.
I only took that horrible Cymbalta drug for 40 days, but it’s like crack cocaine in my system.

Thanks again for your reply!!!

-Ernie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Feelings
I had an ok day. Waited to 7:26 (2 min ago) to take a .5 mg of Xanax. I'm trying to figure out if the ear ringing is partly due to the Xanax or is Xanax localizing it in one ear, my left ear. Not to mention my nerves are total shot. I was hoping the Prozac would have helped a little more by now on my nerves, but asked my doctor and he said Prozac really does not kick in for nerves for about 3 months. Uhg...

Today's Stats:

Stats: Blood Pressure: 132/93 (Need to take more of my Atacand hct , I went down to 8-6.25mg, because it was getting so low and was afraid of too low because of the Propanolol and Xanax) Guess I should hang tight at a steady 16X12.5mg

Meds:
- 40mg Prozac 1 in the morning (20mg) and one in the evening(20 mg)
- Trazadone 50mg at night
- Atacand hct 8-6.25mg ** upping it
- Isoxsuprine 10mg morning (Think its crap)

Food intake:
- 3 Bottles 16oz water
- 6oz of coke to settle my stomach (I used to drink (3) 24oz a day for 10 years (WOW)
- Health food bars
- Grapes.
- Going to eat shrimp when my Xanax kick in.

Short Question Summary:
I want to start taking Vitamin B and Calcium and Magnesium. Read a health book were they helped, but afraid what they would do to my already frail body/brain now that I’m losing so much weight. (**Any Advice???)
Weight down to 218.5lbs from a start of 240lbs. losing to fast because I have no appetite.

I can only eat after I have taken a Xanax because my fight or flight is taking over. I guess I can't tastes anything and have no appetite because I'm so tense.

#27 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:15 AM

Ernie,

I am happy my reply made your day :)

I took the xanax, 1 mg dose, every day before bed. I don't remember how long I was on it.. maybe a year? Sorry, brain is a little foggy lately with cymbalta withdrawal.

The ativan worked okay using as needed, and I never had any problem getting off of it. I only took it when needed a few years ago after a family member died.

I should go to bed, but I need to harvest my imaginary crops on facebook. lol Oh, the things that make me happy! ;)

KrisAnn

#28 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

About your decreased appetite:

Try to eat things that are high calorie/high nutrition when you can. Protein is good, like peanut butter or nuts, eggs, any kind of meat, cheese. Bananas, rice, potatoes, pastas, and yogurt. Fruit juices that are 100% juice (not high fructose corn syrup). Cream cheese or peanut butter on sliced apples, or graham crackers. Whole milk. Granola mix or granola bars. Trail mix. Ensure or Boost shakes.

Hope this helps :)

KrisAnn

#29 ernie

ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdraw from cymbalta

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

July 14th
Day 30 off Cymbalta

Today was an ok morning but got major shocks starting around 11am and haven't stop since. I've take 1 mg Xanax at 1pm and another 1mg of Xanax at 7pm.... Still not touching it. I'm tired and beat to the core. Pyhsc Dr wants me on Divalprox/depakote For Brain Zaps. He thinks I should be done by now since I was only on for about 40 days. Thinks I have Bi-polar traits in my genes.... Great. Just Great... I guess I will take them tonight. Guys keep me in your prayers.... I feel defeated and my wife is being short with me.

Blood pressure: 109X73 67 beats a min.

-Ernie

#30 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hi Ernie, sorry you are having a rough day :(

Depakote is used for seizures, manic episodes, and headaches so maybe it will help with brain zaps?

I suppose you could be bipolar, maybe thats why you are having such a difficult time with withdrawal symptoms. Maybe the withdrawal effects are pushing you into a manic phase? Im just speculating here.... don't really know.

Incase your still concerned about possibly being bipolar, let me make your day. The following is a list of famous bipolar people :)

Winston Churchill
Charlie Pride
Axl Rose
Sting
Carrie Fisher
Sylvia Plath
Margot Kidder
Jean Claude Van Damme
Ben Stiller
Adam Ant
Dick Cavett
Kurt Cobain
Richard Dreyfuss
Justin Furstenfeld, Lead singer of the band, "Blue October"
Macy Gray
Graham Greene
Linda Hamilton
Ernest Hemingway
Florence Nightingale
Ozzy Osborne
Jane Pauley
Edgar Allen Poe
Charlie Pride
Sidney Sheldon
Patrick Stump, frontman, Fall Out Boy
Vincent Van Gogh
Mark Vonnegut, author
Scott Weiland, musician. (Stone Temple Pilots, Velvet Revolver)
Brian Wilson, musician, founding member of The Beach Boys
Pete Wentz, musician. Fall Out Boy
Virginia Woolf, writer
Stuart Sutherland, British psychologist and writer
Vivien Leigh, actress
Richard Dreyfuss, actor
Patricia Cornwell, American crime writer
Frank Bruno, boxer
Buzz Aldrin, astronaut
Congressman Patrick Kennedy
etc...

Quite an list, huh? Imagine a world without their creative genius..... Maybe it isn't such a bad thing to be a part of that list? ;)

KrisAnn :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users