Photo

Newbie Question: Should I Stop Taking Cymbalta?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inertia

Inertia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm taking Cymbalta and want to know more about this.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:13 AM

Hi,

I just found this board while looking up Cymbalta withdrawal. I am bipolar and currently taking Lamictal for mood stabilization and 60mg/day Cymbalta for depression. I guess I've been on the Cymbalta for maybe a year. I haven't really noticed any side effects from it, but am not so keen to these things and am unsure if there are any significant benefits either. (To be honest, I think I have just been on and off too many depression meds to truly know the difference anymore. I only started taking Cymbalta after Abilify didn't work well and made me shake, so I guess I was just happy not to be dealing with that and settled since I'm sick of switching around between meds which, aside from a few side effects, all seem the same in the end anyway.) (Edit: I forgot I was actually taking all three together for a while. Meh.)

I go to a lame clinic where appointments must be scheduled far in advance and if you miss one it's pretty bad. I forgot an appointment with my doctor two weeks ago, and for that reason was forced into cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal due to running out (but I still had enough Lamictal). I've felt all kinds of things, but most notably a sort of weak dizzy feeling with some kind of weird sensation with focusing my eyes and stuff like that.

I did get more today, and the people there seemed to display very little concern about what happened to me. The nurse just asked me if I could be pregnant. I won't get to see the doctor himself for another four weeks.

Today marked my fifth day without Cymbalta, before I took a dose earlier tonight. Now I still feel bad but also nauseous and at this point really tired. Don't know why I'm still up on the internet.

One issue which has been ongoing is that I have a really high RHR. Usually when I go in my pulse can be up to around 110. When I went today it was 121, but then I asked the nurse to take it again later and it was 90. Does anyone have any ideas as to the likelihood that having a rapid heart rate might be Cymbalta related? As far as I know right now it's just as likely the Lamictal. I'm not really on top of how long it's been going on. It could also just be anxiety.

Ultimately, in writing this I'm asking for info/opinions as to whether Cymbalta is a safe and effective enough medication to justify its continued use. I had no idea there was so much buzz about the withdrawal until I googled it tonight and am very surprised and somewhat disturbed by what I'm learning. And I already have enough preexisting problems with memory, word retrieval, and thinking clearly, etc. and am now reading that it might make these worse? =X I just kind of feel like giving up right now. I've reached this point of such misery and/or apathy that I've been having some real wtfe sentiments. I've been off it this long. I could just choose to taper off now, right?

Thank you very much for reading and for any input.

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hi,

I just found this board while looking up Cymbalta withdrawal. I am bipolar and currently taking Lamictal for mood stabilization and 60mg/day Cymbalta for depression. I guess I've been on the Cymbalta for maybe a year. I haven't really noticed any side effects from it, but am not so keen to these things and am unsure if there are any significant benefits either. (To be honest, I think I have just been on and off too many depression meds to truly know the difference anymore. I only started taking Cymbalta after Abilify didn't work well and made me shake, so I guess I was just happy not to be dealing with that and settled since I'm sick of switching around between meds which, aside from a few side effects, all seem the same in the end anyway.)

I go to a lame clinic where appointments must be scheduled far in advance and if you miss one it's pretty bad. I forgot an appointment with my doctor two weeks ago, and for that reason was forced into cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal due to running out (but I still had enough Lamictal). I've felt all kinds of things, but most notably a sort of weak dizzy feeling with some kind of weird sensation with focusing my eyes and stuff like that.

I did get more today, and the people there seemed to display very little concern about what happened to me. The nurse just asked me if I could be pregnant. I won't get to see the doctor himself for another four weeks.

Today marked my fifth day without Cymbalta, before I took a dose earlier tonight. Now I still feel bad but also nauseous and at this point really tired. Don't know why I'm still up on the internet.

One issue which has been ongoing is that I have a really high RHR. Usually when I go in my pulse can be up to around 110. When I went today it was 121, but then I asked the nurse to take it again later and it was 90. Does anyone have any ideas as to the likelihood that having a rapid heart rate might be Cymbalta related? As far as I know right now it's just as likely the Lamictal. I'm not really on top of how long it's been going on.

Ultimately, in writing this I'm asking for info/opinions as to whether Cymbalta is a safe and effective enough medication to justify its continued use. I had no idea there was so much buzz about the withdrawal until I googled it tonight and am very surprised and somewhat disturbed by what I'm learning. And I already have enough preexisting problems with memory, word retrieval, and thinking clearly, etc. and am now reading that it might make these worse? =X I just kind of feel like giving up right now. I've reached this point of such misery and/or apathy that I've been having some real wtfe sentiments. I've been off it this long. I could just choose to taper off now, right?

Thank you very much for reading and for any input.

Do you think the Cymbalta helped your underlying depression? If it was helping, and you withdraw, what will you do to help your depression.

As for the vagueness: join the club! It's one of the most common side effects, and more importantly one of the most common withdrawal effects. Some people feel much better as soon as they start withdrawing, others feel worse before they start feeling better etc etc.

The list of withdrawal effects is so long (have a look elsewhere on the board) and DOES include an increase in heart rate and blood pressure.

Your best way to withdraw is slowly, dropping no more than 10% at a time, and waiting until all withdrawal effects have disappeared before dropping again. This is also the best way to avoid rebound symptoms, which often happen to those who go cold turkey.

'Lame' clinic? For leaving you without a drug which is clearly marked as one you shouldn't stop suddenly? I'd use stronger words than that!

kind regards, Maureen.

#3 Inertia

Inertia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm taking Cymbalta and want to know more about this.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:37 AM

Do you think the Cymbalta helped your underlying depression? If it was helping, and you withdraw, what will you do to help your depression.

As for the vagueness: join the club! It's one of the most common side effects, and more importantly one of the most common withdrawal effects. Some people feel much better as soon as they start withdrawing, others feel worse before they start feeling better etc etc.

The list of withdrawal effects is so long (have a look elsewhere on the board) and DOES include an increase in heart rate and blood pressure.

Your best way to withdraw is slowly, dropping no more than 10% at a time, and waiting until all withdrawal effects have disappeared before dropping again. This is also the best way to avoid rebound symptoms, which often happen to those who go cold turkey.

'Lame' clinic? For leaving you without a drug which is clearly marked as one you shouldn't stop suddenly? I'd use stronger words than that!

kind regards, Maureen.

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for writing.

I think it has helped some, but the depression is still pretty disabling. I think if I were to withdraw from it, I would either try to figure out if there are any qualifying ADs I haven't been on yet/give one a second chance, or seek alternative treatments. I'm beginning to believe that if I could somehow establish a routine of exercise, eating healthy, and plenty of vitamins and supplements, etc. it might really help, maybe even more. I just don't think I have that kind of discipline. Regardless, I would still have my Lamictal.

Which thing did you mean by vagueness, please?

Thanks,

Erin

#4 deanna

deanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    to talk about cymbalta withdrawl

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hello..........wow, just searching for cymbalta withdrawal symptoms, and found this!!! So glad to know I am not alone! I have been taking 30 mg. of cymbalta for about 3 years. I was running low and really couldn't afford another prescription. My story is a long one.......but I will just tell about my withdrawal. Not the smartest thing I know, but I had 6 pills left, did every other night until they were gone, and went cold turkey! I am pretty much insane! Have been free of this drug since May 29th. By May 31st the brain zaps started......felt like my brain was bouncing back and forth inside my head! That lasted for about 2 weeks along with just that horrible flu like symptoms, body aches extreme fatigue, floating feeling! Can cry at the drop of a pin......so very emotional.Excessive thoughts of death. Does anyone know how long this will last? I don't know who I am. Is this the real me, or is this withdrawal symptoms?? Am this far into it.....do not want to go back.

#5 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Dear Inertia:
It is a tough decision wether to quit cymbalta or not when one suffers from severe depression and cymbalta worked relieving symptoms. It took me a few months to decide. Cymbalta helped me as an antidepressant in the worst moment of my life. But after a while its effectiveness wasn´t the same. I was not able to be 100% myself. Plus I gained too much weight (52lbs).
I finally decided to start reducing my cymbalta´s dose. My dream is to be completely off cymbalta. But we must look in advance a therapy that could replace cymbalta (because in my case, my depression is too severe not to have an additional support).
Exercise, nutrition, vitamins definitely help with depression. (I tell you by my own experience with them). But there must be something else, a natural therapy like homeopathy, acupuncture or something else.
Hugs
Cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users