#1 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hi everybody,

I've taken a little break from tapering, due to some family commitments coming up that I needed to be functional for.

I plan to start tapering again the end of this month. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum trying to

decide just how to start the taper. Those of you who count beads, do you have an opinion as to which way works best?

Should I drop 3mg and wait 4 wks or so to drop again? Or is it best to lower my dose by one bead a day which would

amount to approximately the same per month? Or I could drop 10 beads every 10 days. I can't decide which way to go

with this? Has anyone tried different ways and have an opinion? Thanks for any responses!

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

Dear Lundeliz:
I wanted to give answers to your previous 2 posts which I hadn´t had the opportunity to read until now.
1. Concerning the eye itchiness/burning, I´ve also had it although it didn´t spread to my face.
2. It has happened to me to have mood swings even though I remain on the same dose for a period.

Concerning drops. Everybody is different. You´ve got to monitor/check the method that is best for you.

First it will be useful to know in which exact DOSE are you NOW??????
I ask you this because depending on your dose a certain method will work.

If you are at high dosages I will do the 3mg and wait 4 weeks (or less) to drop again.
Once you get to lower doses you could do the one bead a day.

I´ve found that staying only 1 week on each dose works for me. I have been able to drop 20 beads at a time.

The fact that I prefer to drop the same amount of beads for a period of time (a week) is due to "logistics" since the making of the capsules is easier for me.
I sit down once a week and make the pills for the whole week (by taking out 20 beads of each capsule). That doesn´t mean it is more effective (in reducing withdrawals) than taking one bead daily, but for me it is easier and less annoying and I waste less time.
I´ll do the -one bead daily reduction- once I get to lower doses

Hope this helped,
Hugs
Cookie

#3 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi cookie,

Thanks so much for the reply. I am at 53mg now, having been on 60mg for about 4 yrs.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the tapering down. I will definitely take your

opinion into consideration when trying to decide, since you have much more experience

with tapering than I do. This was just what I was hoping to learn from those of you

who have been doing it for some time. Thanks again !

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:02 AM

Hi again Lundeliz:
I was also on 60mg for 5 years. I decided to wean slowly.

Started doing 7mg drops weekly at the beginning.
So I went from 60mg, to 52mg, 45mg, 38mg, 30mg.

Then started doing 2,5mg drops weekly
So I went from 30mg, 27,5mg, 25mg, 22,5mg, 20mg.

So right now I am down to 20mg from 60mg.

Hope this helps
Hugs
Cookie

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:00 AM

Hi everybody,

I've taken a little break from tapering, due to some family commitments coming up that I needed to be functional for.

I plan to start tapering again the end of this month. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum trying to

decide just how to start the taper. Those of you who count beads, do you have an opinion as to which way works best?

Should I drop 3mg and wait 4 wks or so to drop again? Or is it best to lower my dose by one bead a day which would

amount to approximately the same per month? Or I could drop 10 beads every 10 days. I can't decide which way to go

with this? Has anyone tried different ways and have an opinion? Thanks for any responses!

Different methods work for different people. Some are dictated to by the quantity of the drug they have left, family support, work situation etc.

It depends too, on how soon withdrawal symptoms kick in for you. I was one for whom they kicked in straight away, so did tiny drops every four days (20 mg took 10 weeks).

Others find the withdrawals don't really kick in until after six days, so have to take it slower.

The only problem with the bead a day method is if you're one who has to sometimes go back up to a previous dose - if you're doing a bead a day, you won't really know what dose it is that you need.

regards, Maureen.

#6 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thanks cookie and Maureen,

I already know that w/d doesn't kick in for me for quite some time after a drop. So I'm thinking maybe I'll

try dropping 2mg at first, and waiting for 4 wks or longer if needed. Then for the next drop,

I can adjust time and amt. according to how the symptoms were. Does that seem to make sense

for me? Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions.

#7 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi Lundeliz:
Taking into account that you are on 53mg right now, and I´ve read that one should drop maximum 10% of actual dose. The maximum you could drop right now is 5mg (if you want to be agressive on your drop).
Or dropping 2mg and waiting 4 weeks sounds fine, if you want to wean slowly and be conservative.
hugs
Cookie

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks cookie and Maureen,

I already know that w/d doesn't kick in for me for quite some time after a drop. So I'm thinking maybe I'll

try dropping 2mg at first, and waiting for 4 wks or longer if needed. Then for the next drop,

I can adjust time and amt. according to how the symptoms were. Does that seem to make sense

for me? Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions.

That makes perfect sense. The first thing anyone withdrawing from Cymbalta and finding problems has to do is find out which category they fit into, then proceed accordingly.

For some, a bead or more a day, for others a % drop every x days/weeks. You do what makes you feel best.

regards, Maureen.

#9 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm a one bead per day fan! Its working painlessly for me. I'm at 23 beads today. 22 more days for me and I'm off this garbage. I havent had any symptons for several weeks.
Good luck. Deb

#10 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

I'm a one bead per day fan! Its working painlessly for me. I'm at 23 beads today. 22 more days for me and I'm off this garbage. I havent had any symptons for several weeks.

I didnt start the one bead a day though until I was down to 10 mg. At the higher doses I reduced by dividing the capsuel visually reducing by 5 or 10% and waiting for a week to see if I was OK.
Good luck. Deb

#11 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Debbie M. for telling me of your experience. Sounds like you are doing

great with your taper, and wow, almost done! Before I start tapering again, I

will be reading back over all these responses several times. It really helps me

in deciding how to do it. Thanks to everyone!

#12 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Good luck. Deb

Dear Deb:
CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! great accomplishment!
You are getting to the final objective and havent had any symptoms! gggggreat!!!
I will definitely go for the "one bead per day" once I get to smaller doses
Hugs
Cookie

#13 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

:) Thanks you guys! It has been a long process of learing what works for me and what I'm willing to tolerate. In the end I ddn't want to tolerate any bad feelings and found this worked for me. Going just a little too fast meant feeling bad all the time. So slow and steady it is for me. I wish you all a peaceful and healthful taper.

Deb :D

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Debbie:
I am so glad for you! ;)