God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Dear Friend:
Thank you for sharing what has worked for you.
Yes I also gained lots of weight when I started cymbalta.
Seems like doctors do not know much about how to stop this medicine.

My comments on your suggestions:
-Benadryl and motion sickness patches: haven´t tried them.
-Gatorade: I think water is better to keep hydrated. Gatorade has lots of sodium and glucose. A nutritionist told me not to take Gatorade if I didn´t exercise, because it provides electrolytes lost in exercise. If you didn´t lose the electrolytes and sodium during exercise, water seems a better option to stay hydrated.
-B vitamins: I already took a B vitamin complex before started weaning so I really do not know if it is helping. Maybe if I hadn´t taken it my symptoms would be worse than they are???

I am SO glad that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Thank you again for sharing this info

Hugs
Cookie

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I agree with you on the water vs. Gatorade. I went with the low calorie version to not add to my steadily gaining weight, but water might be just fine on it's own... will try that and let you know how I do. :)

Hey Friend:
One of the things I learned through this process is that healthy nutrition is so important to improve mood and lessen depression symptoms. So I am staying away from processed products, sugar, artifitial sweeteners, artifitial colors, lowering my salt intake.
I even try not to take that many supplements, I rather obtain them by natural foods. For example I don´t take omega 3 pills, but take flaxseed and soy milk everyday, and salmon once a week instead.
;)
hugs
Cookie

#3 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Wow! I started weaning off 90 mg. I was down to 30 mg and over the holiday weekend I stopped taking it. I am miserable with dizziness and brain zaps. I will get Gatorade and motion sickness patches. I'm at work and MISERABLE. However, I am determined!

If you want to get rid of your symptoms you will need to go back to 30 mg and wean down slowly. Otherwise you might be sick for a long time. What is it you are determined to do? Go cold turkey and deal with it? Its possible.
I wish you well.
Deb

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

Just checking back in... I am now on day 12 and doing awesome.
Still sticking with low-cal gatorade and water throughout the day (more water now than gatorade) and have cut out coffee and soda (unless caffeine free) completely, still using the motion sickness patch and benadryl at night. But the brain zaps/dizziness is much improved!!! Tried cutting out the motion sickness patch but the dizziness/zaps came back although not as bad as before.... Will try weaning off my benadryl and motion sickness patch next weekend I think.
But I really feel good now!! You can totally get thru this!!!! But the best advice of all, if you can wean at home (like over a long weekend), it's much easier than trying to function while dealing with the withdrawals.

Hope this has helped someone.... I know I was desperate for help when I started this process over a month ago now. Good luck! And know you WILL get through this!!! :)

Wow! I am glad for you!!!!
Cookie

#5 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:
    I wish to stop taking cymbalta with the least amount of side effects possible

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

I hadn't thought to check out motion sickness meds. I think I still have some meclizine (antivert) leftover from dizziness due to plugged sinuses a year ago. Otherwise, I think I will look into dramamine at bedtime.

Thanks for the great ideas!

KrisAnn

#6 JustJulz

JustJulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    support and information to become a healthier Me

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

Can I ask which motion sickness patches you are using? I used one (scopalamine, which I thought had been taken off the market) for air travel, and frankly, coming off of that thing was the worst vertigo and nausea I had ever experienced. It didn't help any that I was in Korea, in a part of Seoul that I wasn't really familiar with. It took days to wean off of that, so Just saying, be careful of what you choose to use.

I have used Reglan as an antinauseal- and plz DON'T try this one! It messes with your serotonin levels, and withdrawal is way worse than Cymbalta ever could be.

However, Zofran is a nice one, dissolves in your mouth, and does not mess with your center of well-being (serotonin, etc.). I had no problems at all when I needed to stop using it. Only drawback is that it is constipating. Oh joy.

There are also acupuncture points on your wrists and around your knee that really help with nausea. Maybe this could help?

#7 tvb

tvb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Took Cymbalta for about 6 month, at 6 month started weaning and at a year stopped and currently experiencing withdrawl

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

THANK YOU!!!!
I am on my 5th day "CLEAN"! It has been terrible, I'm not going to lie. Yesterday, day 4, was my worst so far. Brain zaps and vertigo to the point I couldn't stand. I called in sick to work. The comments like "well just take your medicine if you feel this bad" or "take some advil" are SO frustrating. I refuse to quit this fight, so I found this site. I started on the benadryl yesterday when I read this post and wow do I feel better today. Drowsy of course, but very little brain shocks! I am on 50mg of Benadryl about every 4 hours and drinking A LOT of water.

I am a 24 yr old female and started Cymbalta a little over a year ago after suffering from anxiety related to being mugged. Since I started it, I have gained almost 30 pounds with no change in diet or exercise. I even tried weight watchers and I lost very little weight. I am sick of this weight and I am in a much better place in my life, so I decided to get off of it. I was on 60mg for 6 months, 30mg for a few months and 15mgs up until last Saturday and now nothing. Since then, I have had terrible dreams, lightening zaps in my brain (of course), no control over my emotions and I am constantly hungry. I have taken my backup Xanax for my emotions and now the benadryl. Today, on day 5, I am tired and feel unstable when I stand up, but I feel SO much better. Thank you so much for all of your tips and help.
Good luck to everyone else and spread the word that Cymbalta SUCKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users