#1 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I'm 17 years old and I've been on some form of anti-depressants since I was around the age of nine. I've been on Cymbalta for the past four years and I never felt any desire to go off. I never had any major side effects on the drug, it reduced my anxiety and suicidal thoughts and never lost its potency. My psychologist seems perfectly content to keep me on it for the rest of my life, and I was in agreement... until about a week ago.

I'm an aspiring actress but I've found it difficult to connect with any of my character's situations. I can pretend and push out the emotions, but they're never personal - they never connect like I feel they should. I missed a couple days of the pill and while practicing a monologue for college auditions I found myself in tears, finally able to both internalize and externalize the pain of my character. I have never been able to do this before. I thought I'd made a huge break through... until I caught up with the medication and my abilities dwindled back to their original state.

Now I feel like the only thing I can do is go off the meds. I never realized how much they changed me, and even if that change is for the better, it scares me to be so altered and limited. I don't think my mom would let me go off... not because she's super controlling, but just because she wants what's best for me. She doesn't really take my career choice seriously... I don't think she'd agree with my reasons for weaning off. I may have to wean off in secret... but I'm scared because I've been taking the drug for so long... Could it leave lasting damage on me? I haven't taken my pill for three days now. So far all I'm experiencing is the same feeling when I miss a day - dizziness, headaches, and nausea. Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

The drug isn't know to cause any long term damage, but you do need to consider how to deal with your depression once you're off Cymbalta.

If you can tolerate the current symptoms, fine, but many people find that the worst of the symptoms don't kick in for a week or two, so just be prepared to start taking it again and wean down slowly.

regards, Maureen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users