eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:
    need help & support - withdrawing from Cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hello,

I've been taking Cymbalta for only 1 1/2 years due to Fibromyalgia and a recent ultrasound showed a "shadow" on my liver. I'm not a drinker and it's likely the Cymbalta is causing the liver issue. I stopped it just two days ago and I'm already feeling horrible withdrawal symptoms. I can't stop crying or thinking negative thoughts. Plus, the Fibro. pain and stiffness is much worse now. I'm feeling right now like I don't want to go on but I'm the mom of two boys and one is Autistic. Fortunately, he is high functioning, but he has also had a terrible day due to my irritability. Sometimes emotionally, especially now, I feel like he would be better off without me but logically, I know that isn't true. We are very close and he's a great kid. Should I go back on the Cymbalta until my doctor comes up with a good withdrawal solution? I can't put my son through another day like today. He's very worried about me. Suggestions appreciated! (Eliza)

#2 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hello,

I've been taking Cymbalta for only 1 1/2 years due to Fibromyalgia and a recent ultrasound showed a "shadow" on my liver. I'm not a drinker and it's likely the Cymbalta is causing the liver issue. I stopped it just two days ago and I'm already feeling horrible withdrawal symptoms. I can't stop crying or thinking negative thoughts. Plus, the Fibro. pain and stiffness is much worse now. I'm feeling right now like I don't want to go on but I'm the mom of two boys and one is Autistic. Fortunately, he is high functioning, but he has also had a terrible day due to my irritability. Sometimes emotionally, especially now, I feel like he would be better off without me but logically, I know that isn't true. We are very close and he's a great kid. Should I go back on the Cymbalta until my doctor comes up with a good withdrawal solution? I can't put my son through another day like today. He's very worried about me. Suggestions appreciated! (Eliza)

Hi Eliza,

no one should come off Cymbalta cold turkey.

You don't mention the dose you were on, but if it's (say) 60mg, you can actually take half by opening the capsules and putting half in each side and stuffing a piece of bread in the end.

Some people find they can go from 60 to 30 without too much trouble.

Doctor's are often not up to date with the level of withdrawal symptoms. Whatever you do, don't let your doctor tell you to take it every second day.

You can wean off Cymbalta slowly - read lots of posts and you'll find out more.

regards, Maureen.

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Dear Eliza:
The liver is such an important organ of the body. It releases toxins from the body.

I agree with maureen, quitting cold turkey is not a good idea. You can take a certain dose of cymbalta and start weaning from there. You can read a lot of posts explaining common withdrawal symptoms and ways to wean off.

Do not feel alone, there is people on this site going through a similar situation

hugs
Cookie

#4 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hi Eliza,

no one should come off Cymbalta cold turkey.

You don't mention the dose you were on, but if it's (say) 60mg, you can actually take half by opening the capsules and putting half in each side and stuffing a piece of bread in the end.

Some people find they can go from 60 to 30 without too much trouble.

Doctor's are often not up to date with the level of withdrawal symptoms. Whatever you do, don't let your doctor tell you to take it every second day.

You can wean off Cymbalta slowly - read lots of posts and you'll find out more.

regards, Maureen.

#5 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated! I'll read other posts as you suggested. (Eliza)

#6 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Dear Eliza:
The liver is such an important organ of the body. It releases toxins from the body.

I agree with maureen, quitting cold turkey is not a good idea. You can take a certain dose of cymbalta and start weaning from there. You can read a lot of posts explaining common withdrawal symptoms and ways to wean off.

Do not feel alone, there is people on this site going through a similar situation

hugs
Cookie

#7 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hi Cookie,

Thanks for the support and information regarding "itchy skin." You sound like a kind person. (Eliza)

#8 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Reduce your Cymbalta slowly like Maureen suggested and get help from a supportive psychiatrist that can help with the pain issues and the emotional issues. I am on day 10 of cold turkey, and I know I am getting better, but it is still a living hell. I put out my neck this morning (fibromyalgia pain) and have been unable to move my head and neck. I will have to go to the emergency room today for care...yum. The brainzaps have really improved and I am still taking melatonin and benadryl at night. Good luck with your kid, I have two, aged 7 and 9, and if it weren't for my wonderful, supportive hubby I don't know how I would have handled this. I have no control of my temper or emotions.Hang in there, we understand and feel for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users