Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:31 AM

Wow - tough situation. Have you talked to the doctor? That would be my first thought. I imagine others will have ideas, too.

Thoughts and prayers to you...

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

Dear "S":
It is important to know that cymbalta shouldn´t be taken by people with liver problems.
Drinking heavily damages liver, so alcohol and cymbalta is not a good combination
Quitting cold turkey is very painful. Even in the package´s insert it says not to stop abruptly.
regards
Cookie

#3 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Dear "S":
It is important to know that cymbalta shouldn´t be taken by people with liver problems.
Drinking heavily damages liver, so alcohol and cymbalta is not a good combination
Quitting cold turkey is very painful. Even in the package´s insert it says not to stop abruptly.
regards
Cookie

Thanks for bringing that up, Cookie. I thought about that after I had posted. That is VERY important!!

#4 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

Long story short, husband of 25 years became depressed about 1 year ago. The depression = drinking heavily----->put on Cymbalta. He seemed to have gotten worse on the Cymbalta and in fact has left our home! Has anyone experienced feeling worse, numb??? He continues to drink heavily and in fact will be running out of meds in a few weeks. He refuses to go back to the doctor ( probably because he'll confront him about the alcohol ) and will go cold turkey! I'm so concerned about him. Any suggestions?

Hi guest

Some people have reported that Cymbalta makes them want to drink alcohol. Not sure if your husband is one of these but Cymbalta is obviously not working for him. Just PLEASE warn him that stopping cold turkey is a BAD way to go. Cymbalta is rapidly becoming known as one of the toughest a/ds to get off. It is in the same class of drugs as Effexor (also an SNRI) which is hard to get off. People can go through horrific withdrawal and those who have gone c/t seem to take longer to recover (in some cases, years rather than months). It is FAR better to wean slowly.

Also, if he does agree to see the doctor, don't let them start him on a merry-go-round of different drugs. It will only make his brain more confused. People have talked about side effects to one drug where the dr's response is to add another drug to counteract the effects of the first one. How stupid is that?

Sorry, I don't want to scare you. Just want you to be aware
Regards
Junior :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users