Photo

Pms Vs. Perimenopause Vs. Cymbalta Withdrawls = Going Crazy!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Doe

Jane Doe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Tried going off Cymbalta and it hasn't been going well . . . need some help! :) Thank you.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hello Everyone,

I came across this site yesterday while researching cymbalta withdrawals. I really appreciate the forum and everyone's input so thank you in advance (and for all the info. I've gotten perusing other posts).

I have been taking cymbalta for several years - usually 30 mg. but then I double up and take 60 mg. the week before my period starts (I originally went on cymbalta because I was getting very moody around my periods). Anyway, I decided I wanted to stop taking this medicine and instead to start getting more exercise and stimulate my brain. I was told by my Dr. to decrease down to taking one every other day, then 1 every 2 days, etc. I started doing this several weeks ago and am now down to about 2 (30 mg.) capsules a week. The result has been that I have been pretty much a disfunctional and irritable zombie - am incredibly tired, have dark thoughts that linger, head pressure, zero energy, etc. Needless to say, I haven't mustered up the energy to start in with much exercise. It got so bad yesterday that I decided to start taking cymbalta again (30 mg.) and taper back slowly while I once again try to wean myself off of this drug (my 30 mg. capsule has approximately 279 beads so am not sure how many to decrease each day). I really don't want to take any prescription medicines . . . I take nexium for GERD and was diagnosed a couple of years ago with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and was taking synthroid and then armour thyroid but now apparently my throid is functionting normally (according to recent blood work)so I am no longer taking thyroid med. So! I guess I would really appreciate some thoughts on any nutrititional support while I try to go through this process again . . . . I don't want to spend a fortune on supplements as one of the reasons I want to not be on any meds is because I am tired of spending money and have long felt that if I made the right dietary choices and got back into regular exercise then I wouldn't need to take anything except a good multi-vitamin. To be honest I haven't really felt very good for awhile now and am wondering if taking the 60 mg. dosage once a month was partially responsible? I'm 47 so am wondering if perimopause symptoms also play into this at all? Thank you for any help and insights - I am very grateful to anyone who is listening.

#2 JustJulz

JustJulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • why_joining:
    support and information to become a healthier Me

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hi, I think you are making a wise decision to start with a dose you feel comfortable with, and then taper off of it. I am also perimenopausal, plus have been more irritable right before periods, much like you. I am trying to be careful and aware of when I am reducing my dose and whether it is near my period.

There are lots of ways to reduce, as I am sure you will have read about in other threads. It's also good that you counted the balls in your capsules. I just recounted mine and I had been somewhat off. What I have heard suggested is to reduce by 5%, hold steady at that amount, and then keep on going down incrementally. So if you have let's say 280 (for a round number) - 5% (14 balls) = 266 left. That is also 30mg - 5% = 28.5mg dose. See, that's a good amount!

Oh, you mentioned your thyroid- mine quit when I was taking 60mg, and I have been on synthroid, and now armour. I will be getting it checked again soon, and hope it will be functioning again. One of the noted side effects in the Cymbalta product literature is hypothyroidism. Nice huh? Glad your thyroid is working again! One battle down.

Read lots and lots on this board. There is a lot of help available, and also, it's safe to vent here if you need to. :)

Good Luck!

#3 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Dear Jane Doe:
I also decided to stop taking the medicine and look for other natural ways to stimulate my brain. I found that nutrition and exercise has so much to do with mood.

I started eating healthy, and lost much of the weight gained while taking cymbalta. I eat lots of veggies and fruits, fish, nuts, skimmed yogurt. I do not eat sugar or artificial sweeteners. I only eat complex carbohydrates. I try not to eat processed packaged food or drinks. I rather make my own fruit juice.

You don´t have “to spend a fortune on supplements”, if you make the right choices on nutrition, the food should provide you with all the nutrients. I think that nutrients that come from food, are absorbed easily by the body than the supplements.

For example I get the Omega 3 from (salmon, flaxseed and soy milk) instead of a pill
Like you said, I am just taking a good multivitamin which includes B vitamins.

I also started exercising regularly (5 times a week) which I hadn´t done in the last 10 years. I walk 40minutes everyday and go to yoga classes, which I found to be excellent to reduce anxiety, and improve mood.
Of course pre-menopause, has so much to do with hormonal changes that are linked with neurotrasmitters.

I am not a doctor but from what I´ve read on this site, about people who have done the every other day approach for weaning, I´ve seen that it causes lots of withdrawal symptoms. I also read that it is better to take certain dose daily.

Currently I am on 19mg from 60mg. I´ve been doing drops of 10% of actual dose each time. I rather reduce weekly than daily. It is easier for me “logistically” and also because if I feel bad I will know to which dose to go back. If I did it daily I wouldn´t know which dose is the one who is causing the trouble.
However I plan to reduce 1 bead daily once I am on a very low dose.

Hope this helped
Cookie

#4 Jane Doe

Jane Doe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Tried going off Cymbalta and it hasn't been going well . . . need some help! :) Thank you.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

p.s. I forgot to sign in when I replied . . . thank you again

#5 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Dear Jane:
If I were you I would take 30mg and wait at leat 1 week (or even 2 weeks) before doing any further drop.
hugs
Cookie

#6 Jane Doe

Jane Doe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like excellent advice Cookie and once again I really appreciate your help and time. Hope you are having a great week :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users