cindylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    Starting to get off Cymbalta

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

It has been a full week without having ANY cymbalta in my system!! I started out about 3 weeks ago tapering off. Had been on 60mg for 4 years, then went to 30mg 3 weeks ago for 5 days, then 20 for a week the last week stopped! I had seen my NEW psychiatrist last tuesday and she told me that since I'd been doing well with the tapering that at 20mg it was almost out of my system anyways, so stop. Which it did. I've felt good these last 7 days although the following effects have occured:
1. Zaps (didn't think I'd get off THIS easy, so these were expected)
2. Low energy
3. E.M.O.T.I.O.N.A.L!!!!!
4. Body/Muscles are more achy then usual
5. Feel a bit disconnected from my body
6. GASTROINTESTINAL ISSUES!! Bloating no matter what I eat or don't eat (and I eat fairly healthy)
7. Quick eye movements make me dizzy. Like my mind has to "catch up" to process what my eyes are seeing?

I will go through all these withdrawal symptoms to detox from this drug, but can anyone relate? Also, WHEN WILL THIS WEIGHT BEGIN TO COME OFF? Cause now that I'm so bloated that can't help the situation...??
All responses are stroooooooooongly appreciated!
Thank you!
Cindy

#2 djraley01

djraley01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    taking myself off and need support!

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'm with you! A week and it is killing me! I didn't realize how dependent my body had become on this medicine. I have decided that I can be stronger then the depression! Hopefully our weight will come of as easy as it came on.......I am miserable and hate the site of food. Keep the faith and just remember you aren't alone!

#3 haiku

haiku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    to answer a question I saw. Also I'm withdrawing from Cymbalta.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

It has been a full week without having ANY cymbalta in my system!! I started out about 3 weeks ago tapering off. Had been on 60mg for 4 years, then went to 30mg 3 weeks ago for 5 days, then 20 for a week the last week stopped! I had seen my NEW psychiatrist last tuesday and she told me that since I'd been doing well with the tapering that at 20mg it was almost out of my system anyways, so stop. Which it did. I've felt good these last 7 days although the following effects have occured:
1. Zaps (didn't think I'd get off THIS easy, so these were expected)
2. Low energy
3. E.M.O.T.I.O.N.A.L!!!!!
4. Body/Muscles are more achy then usual
5. Feel a bit disconnected from my body
6. GASTROINTESTINAL ISSUES!! Bloating no matter what I eat or don't eat (and I eat fairly healthy)
7. Quick eye movements make me dizzy. Like my mind has to "catch up" to process what my eyes are seeing?

I will go through all these withdrawal symptoms to detox from this drug, but can anyone relate? Also, WHEN WILL THIS WEIGHT BEGIN TO COME OFF? Cause now that I'm so bloated that can't help the situation...??
All responses are stroooooooooongly appreciated!
Thank you!
Cindy

#4 haiku

haiku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    to answer a question I saw. Also I'm withdrawing from Cymbalta.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

I gained 30 lbs. with Cymbalta. I had no fun food but had to diet to get rid of the weight. Maybe you will have better luck.

#5 cindylou

cindylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for your input! It's been two weeks now that I've been completely off. My moods are crazy and my patience for EVERYTHING is low! I have heard it could take up to 4-6 weeks to completely get all of cymbalta out of my system. I'm willing to go through all this crap though cause I need to detox and figure out if I can truely live a "normal" life w/ out prescription drugs? or maybe I try something else. Went to my psychiatrist and she gave me a NEW diagnosis...Bi Polar! Ok, up until now I've been extremely MANIC..but it's not episodic, it's chronic. No depression at all! I had been on prescription drugs for the past 8 years for anxiety so now I've got to tackle a whole "new" drug category??? My father was diagnosed with Bi Polar when he was 58 and has been on Lemictal (didn't know if spelled correctly) for 3 years. Says I shouldn't screw around with "detoxing" and don't go be a "guinea pig" again, but start on Lemictal cause it has really worked for him...Ugh..I just want to feel "normal", but quite frankly I don't even know what normal is anymore!!!! I"m staring to now get a bit depressed about all this crap. It's so frustrating that you are trying to function in the world as it is, then you add this crap on your plate..ahhhhhhhhhhhh

#6 Kristen

Kristen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    detoxing from cymbalta

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hey Cindylou, I feel your pain. I have been off Cymabalta totally for 1 week now and I am ready to do.. I don't know, the ideas change by the moment. I am kinda crazy right now, No patience, very irritable, not sleeping well. Anyway, I have been on something for depression and anxiety for half my life (about 22 yrs.) and I WILL NOT be going on any other medication. I am going to find a way to handle this without prescriptions. If you have spent time reading in this site, you have discovered that these drugs are very potent and they really mess up your brain wiring. THat is why the withdrawl is soooo difficult, becuase your brain has to totally change the way it has been working.

For me, and many others on this site, the benefits DO NOT outweigh the negatives, I have gained 45 pounds on this medication and when I was on it, I really didn't ever feel great. Good, but not great. I had other side effects, of not sleeping well, No interest in sexual activity, constipation - big time, for the last five years or so. That is not how I want to live my life!! (on top of the weight gain - I exercised every day and could not even lose 1 pound)

I can tell you that as I have been weaning and now totally off cymbalta for 1 week, I have not had any constipation. This is amazing to me after all these years. I have also lost a couple of pounds. I have been doing yoga daily and that has helped me to focus and I feel better. I am still researching, but I will find a way to live my life without medication. It's funny becasue I was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance in my brain and told that I would have to be on medication for the rest of my life for it. I had blood work done and there is no chemical imbalance now. Hmmm, I guess it just decided to go away on it's own.

I am not real fond of doctors becuase they haven't told me the truth about the drugs that I have taken all these years, the side effects and withdrawl symptms. I have not had one doctor even confirm that there will be withdrawl from these meds. It makes me wonder if that doctor 20 some years ago decided that I needed meds because of the kick back that she got from the pharmaceutical company. I am really beginnign to see a racket going on here after spending so much time on this and other withdrawl sites.

Sorry about the rantings...I just want you to know that you are not alone and I want you to be careful about a diagnosis like BiPolar. Was blood work done or was this by a therapist who says you have mood swings? Just be careful, educate yourself and make educated decisions.

Kepp us posted here on your progress.

#7 cindylou

cindylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Kristen!
It'll be three weeks wed that I've been off! The mood swings and constant "aggitation" really get to me. As well as not seeing the weight come off quick enough. I will hang in there! With my therapy and friends/family as my support system I REALLY want to stay off med's as long as I can. Although if I start to go CRAZY..well..we'll see if that happens:) I hate to be superficial, but the weight issue REALLY bothers me! I'm sick of having this "belly" All (or majority of) my weight landed in my gut and has stayed there. Which is not a safe place for it to be.
I'm rambling..thanks again for the comments!!!
Cindy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users