Photo

Talked To My Doctor About Withdrawal (Good Info)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Billy

Billy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    personal experience with Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

I had been taking 60mg of Cymbalta for about 4 months for anxiety. I forgot to refill my prescription and went 2 days without the drug. I started to experience dizziness (brain zaps), sweating, and overall just felt very off and out of it.

I was very upset. My anxiety was minor and was nothing compared to this withdrawal. It was so severe and unique (I felt like crap and had never experienced a feeling that I could compare to how I felt) I started to question why I would ever put a drug in my body that could make me feel this way. I was never aware that this drug had any type of withdrawal. Because of this I almost lost all confidence in my doctor and anti-anxiety meds in general. I had decided to get off the drug cold turkey and I called my doctor to ask him why he never told me about the withdrawal symptoms.

My doctor called me about an hour later and calmed me down. He explained that withdrawal only happens to 5% of Cymbalta users, and if I was waned off the drug I had a 95% chance that I would experience none to very minimal withdrawal symptoms. He gave me 30mg dose of Cymbalta and told me to take it for a week, then take 15 Mg for a week, then stop taking the drug.

Within two hours of taking the lower doses, my symptoms were gone. So far I have not had any negative side effects (I am a week and a half into getting off the drug). My point is to talk to your doctor and manage the withdrawal. DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY because there is a good chance (95%) that you can completely avoid the withdrawal.

I was pissed and a bit scared after I started to read this site(before I had spoken to my doctor) that I could be stuck with the withdrawal for weeks or months. Luckily there was another option for me, and there is another option for other people in a similar situation to mine.

For the people who still struggle even when you slowly decreasing your dose, I am so sorry and that sucks. I went through two days of withdrawal and I can't imagine going for weeks or months like that. Stay strong, you can get through it. Never forget it will pass, even if it feels like it is never ending. One day you will wake up and you will feel great and the withdrawal will be over.

#2 phtech

phtech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I just went cold turkey do to some financial decisions.

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hey there,

When taking new prescription drugs you should always consult a pharmacist. And you can also talk with one about withdrawl symptoms or side effects. Most are pharmacists are more aware of chemical options and effects than general practioners.

I had been taking 60mg of Cymbalta for about 4 months for anxiety. I forgot to refill my prescription and went 2 days without the drug. I started to experience dizziness (brain zaps), sweating, and overall just felt very off and out of it.

I was very upset. My anxiety was minor and was nothing compared to this withdrawal. It was so severe and unique (I felt like crap and had never experienced a feeling that I could compare to how I felt) I started to question why I would ever put a drug in my body that could make me feel this way. I was never aware that this drug had any type of withdrawal. Because of this I almost lost all confidence in my doctor and anti-anxiety meds in general. I had decided to get off the drug cold turkey and I called my doctor to ask him why he never told me about the withdrawal symptoms.

My doctor called me about an hour later and calmed me down. He explained that withdrawal only happens to 5% of Cymbalta users, and if I was waned off the drug I had a 95% chance that I would experience none to very minimal withdrawal symptoms. He gave me 30mg dose of Cymbalta and told me to take it for a week, then take 15 Mg for a week, then stop taking the drug.

Within two hours of taking the lower doses, my symptoms were gone. So far I have not had any negative side effects (I am a week and a half into getting off the drug). My point is to talk to your doctor and manage the withdrawal. DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY because there is a good chance (95%) that you can completely avoid the withdrawal.

I was pissed and a bit scared after I started to read this site(before I had spoken to my doctor) that I could be stuck with the withdrawal for weeks or months. Luckily there was another option for me, and there is another option for other people in a similar situation to mine.

For the people who still struggle even when you slowly decreasing your dose, I am so sorry and that sucks. I went through two days of withdrawal and I can't imagine going for weeks or months like that. Stay strong, you can get through it. Never forget it will pass, even if it feels like it is never ending. One day you will wake up and you will feel great and the withdrawal will be over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users