• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slant

slant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

One week ago, I went from 60 mg/ day to 30mg after a discussion with my doctor about getting off of Cymbalta. I do not suffer from major depression but had hit a rough spot about a year ago. I had NO idea that all this would be involved and I'm so grateful that my boyfriend (who thought I had gone crazy) found this site. I still can't believe what hell this last week has been ...itching, extreme fatigue, angry, severe muscle and joint aches....to name a few. I'm angry that I was not informed of the withdrawal symptoms either before I began taking this medication or before I begin the inadequate tapering process. So after one week and the discovery of this site I took a full dose yesterday and will begin a much more gradual taper today. It's a tedious process but I can't imagine another week on the original taper.
I have so many questions regarding the ethics involved with a corporation that does not inform the public, doctors and pharmacies that don't inform patients. I'll be calling my druggist today to see how much information she has. I could have prepared better with more information. I'm amazed at how chemically dependent I am am on this medication and very angry that I was not informed.
For today I'll take a different route. Slower taper, vitamins, prayer. I'm a bit fearful that I'll reach a dosage that the withdrawal symptoms will begin again but I'm focused today on getting off of this . I'm so glad for the others that have shared their experience.....that helped me so much last night.

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Sorry that you had that experience. Your anger is well understood here. You are doing great in working with a doctor on this, inform him/her that there are 20 mg capsules (many docs don't know there are). Everybody here has such an individual experience, some do better just getting off as quick as possible, some have to wean. But it does happen and you can return from this.

20 mg is the lowest dose there is commercially. I don't know if a compounding pharmacy can make doses smaller if you might happen to need them. Ask your doctor about this, compounding pharmacies make doses of medicines that are not available commercially, if you find out that this is possible with Cymbalta to make less that 20mg capsules, please let everybody know.

60 mg
50 mg = 30mg + 20mg
40mg = two 20s
30mg
20mg

Taking a dose of Cymbalta every other day does not work, make sure your doctor knows that, some of the older antidepressants you could take every other day and not have withdrawal, but not Cymbalta.

Cymbalta half life is approximately 12 hours with 3 days to total elimination. Every other day doses will equal putting your body into withdrawal every other day.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

#3 slant

slant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Thank you Sarah....I didn't know about the 20mg but will ask for sure as my method is not scientific by any means.

Has anyone experienced hitting a point that the withdrawal symptoms begin again ....at a certain dose ? Also, has anyone had a Liver enzyme test ? I am a recovering alcoholic and also had no idea about the hepatotoxicity of Cymbalta.

Glad you're all here.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users