• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nursesa

nursesa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

I have been taking Cymbalta for about 1 1/2 years after hitting a really rough spot in my life. I had taken it before that for about 6 months and just stopped taking it one day with a few rough days to follow, but got through it. Not this time. I ran out of it 5 days ago and wanted to just get off of it again. After day 3 of stopping it, I was getting a little bit lightheaded at times, but thought to myself, "I'll get through this." Day 4 was worse. When I would turn my head, blink my eyes or take a breath, it felt kind of like there were light bulbs being blown out inside my head, like sparks were going off. Again, I thought, I'll get through this and it will be better tomorrow. Day 5 (yesterday) was even worse. I couldn't take it anymore. The incredible brain firings were tremendous and I had to give in and get my prescription refilled. God, I didn't want to do that, but I had no other choice. I truly thought I would end up in a hospital if I didn't get back on that medication. I picked up my prescription, took two of them right away and within 3 hours my brain calmed down. Today, I am back to "normal". I am seeing my family doctor tomorrow and will seek answers as to how to stop taking this medication safely. What a drug. Had I known this would happen to me I don't believe I ever would have started it. And one more thought.....after reading through some of these forums, it seems to me that all psych doctors are the same.....prescribe cymbalta (or some other antidepressant), then prescribe trazodone, then add something else to the mix.....sounds to me like they all do the same thing without regard. Just a thought.

#2 slant

slant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

I'm right there with you....I had begun the 60mg to 30 mg taper but after one week broke down and took the full dose ....I feel so much better but I too am concerned at how much I need this medication now. I wish I had known .....I was also a "rough spot in the road " patient and in retrospect don't believe I should have been prescribed this particular medication. I was certainly not informed of the potential withdrawal effects.
Another member mentioned the 20mg dose ....which my pharmacy said didn't exist (it does) and a 60/50/40/30/20 taper.
I think I'm still in shock ! This is just crazy......

#3 nursesa

nursesa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for sharing with me. I thought it was just me until I did an internet search for "getting off cymbalta". I found this forum and am so glad I did. I can't believe the people out there trying to stop this medication.....and the really ironic thing is there was just a commercial on TV for Cymbalta telling people that it's basically a wonder drug. I have never in my life experienced all that crap going off in my head. Incredible. Indescribable. I, too, don't think I ever needed this medication. I trusted the doctor, though......this will help with your negative thoughts, help you sleep, etc. When you are going through a hard time in life, Cymbalta is NOT the answer. I should have just coped with it and never even went to the psychiatrist. Sounds to me like they are all the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users