• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carla

Carla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am trying to get off cymbalta and I am having a horrible time.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

This is my second post. I am down to what my doctors told me to do....coming from 60 mg. to 30 mg. for a week and then skipping the 30 mg. every other day. Well yesterday was the first skip day. I had horrible symptoms of stomach cramping, diarreha, no appetitie, weakness, sleeplessness, anxiety, pain all over my body, and living like I was in a fog.

Well today, I added this awful drug back to my symptom for the day. I had to make myself as I am following doctor's orders. It made me furious yesterday when my doctor's snippy young nurse said over the phone, "I got off of Cymbalta withone any of the symptoms you are complaining about." Boy, I felt like telling her off, but that is not my personality. I told my hubby that must be the reason she is way overweight...I know that was ugly...but my emotions are on the edge. I am NOT my nice self. There is one thing that has helped my stomach and bowel problems. The doctor told me to take Pepto Bismol pills...you swallow them...three x three a day and ordered me some prescription Lomotil as the Immodium wasn't helping. Those have helped somewhat.

Anyone else having trouble with the skip a day method too?

Thanks,
Carla

#2 arteest

arteest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    My doctor put me on Cymbalta for body pain and anxiety. I've only been on it since May.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

This is my second post. I am down to what my doctors told me to do....coming from 60 mg. to 30 mg. for a week and then skipping the 30 mg. every other day. Well yesterday was the first skip day. I had horrible symptoms of stomach cramping, diarreha, no appetitie, weakness, sleeplessness, anxiety, pain all over my body, and living like I was in a fog.

Well today, I added this awful drug back to my symptom for the day. I had to make myself as I am following doctor's orders. It made me furious yesterday when my doctor's snippy young nurse said over the phone, "I got off of Cymbalta withone any of the symptoms you are complaining about." Boy, I felt like telling her off, but that is not my personality. I told my hubby that must be the reason she is way overweight...I know that was ugly...but my emotions are on the edge. I am NOT my nice self. There is one thing that has helped my stomach and bowel problems. The doctor told me to take Pepto Bismol pills...you swallow them...three x three a day and ordered me some prescription Lomotil as the Immodium wasn't helping. Those have helped somewhat.

Thanks,
Carla

Hi Carla... I'm new here and tried the skipping route because we here in Canada don't have the 20 mgs dose. It was awful. I couldn't get out of bed and couldn't function the day after a skip. And, on the nights I took the pill, I couldn't sleep well. I'll just say this site is a life saver because I am now counting beads and today is much better. My gastro problem is heartburn. I take a Pepcid AC and I"m good to go. When I was skipping a dose, I had bouts of nausea right out of the blue. You have probably read enough on this site by now to be counting beads as well. :) I hope you're having better luck now.

#3 Caroline

Caroline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning off cylbalta

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hi Carla,
I know what you are talking about with the skip a day, for me the symptoms hit on day3 and horrible on day 4. After researching the threads and talking with my primary care doc. I find that going down gradually is the answer. I took 20mg last week, then made 15 mg by splitting my 30mg. So far this week all is good and I can feel myself feeling again!!! Also three things that seem to be helping; Gatorade/Powerade low calorie..don't need anymore pounds to lose gained 20 in 2 years...seems to help with the dry eyes, dehydrated feeling. Omega 3 supplements, reduced my achiness and vit E. So far so good. Can't wait to be Cymbalta free!

#4 Sharon

Sharon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Carla

I have a question. I have been on Cymbalta for 8 months. My life is falling apart. I recently was laid off from a Pharmaceutical company, marriage woes, son went off to college, etc.

I tried going cold turkey. I am going nuts. Bad, bad headache, insomnia, brain zaps, dizziness, the works. I went today and got another months refill and took 1 60mg today. But after reading this I want to try the skip a day method quickly. Please give me the instructions.

Thanks Sharon

Thanks,
Carla

#5 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Skipping a day doesn't seem to work for anyone. Weaning off slowly works much better for most people. Since we're all a little bit different the rate at which we can wean off varies. The weaning methods vary but the idea is to open a capsule, remove some of the little beads and take a dose of the appropriate amount. I am at the point where I'm dropping by 1 mg per day as long as I'm feeling good enough. I save the beads that I don't use and every few days I have enough saved up to use for a dose. See the section on Weaning off Cymbalta for lots of stories and methods of how people are doing it.

Best wishes,
TimC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users