#1 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weaning of cymbalta, feeling very sick.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hi, i am writing here because i want to talk to others about the withdrawal of cymbalta.

I am from Denmark, so i dont write english that well, i hope you can understand me anyway.

Here in Denmark, cymbalta is still new, has only been on the market e few years, so theres is not so much info about weaning off this drug.

I have been taking this 2 ½ years now, it was descriped for me when i was diagnosed mith ADHD, my psychiatrist put me on Strattera and Cymbalta at the same time, so i dont know if cymbalta ever worked for me.
I have a new psy now, and he has put me on Lamotrigin for my moodswings, and i wanted to come off cymbalta because of the side effects.

I went from 90 mg to 0 in 3 weeks, i am on day 2 now without it, and boy am i sick!

I am having night sweats, LOTS of brain zaps, head each, im nauseos, tired, veeery moody, crying, yelling, smiling ect. All the usual withdrawal symptoms!
I cannot understand wy on earth this drug was put on market! I feel like im getting nuts! Hoping to hear from you, and i hope you can understand what i write :)

#2 maddie

maddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am in my 9th day of cold turkey withdrawal from Cymbalta and sort of need to read and/or talk about it.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Your English is wonderful and I understand every word. This drug, in my mind, is no longer called Cymbalta, it now called " the Devil Drug". LOL. After 8 days cold turkey I thought that except for the brain zap I was through with the problem, because I spent the whole day laughing hysterically at anything anyone said. But, the Devil Drug wasn't finished with me yet. Yesterday, the 9th day, some of the symptoms came back (and I was not laughing) but there was some improvement...slept really well for the first time....so I am hopeful. You are on Day 2 without it...that for me was the worst time. I didn't wean off because I was having side effects to taking it, so I just stopped and each day has gotten somewhat better. I can now drive again without worrying that I will kill somebody. So, stay with it...it can only get better and the sooner that junk is out of your brain the happier you will be. IT WILL GET BETTER. ... Hugs from Canada.

#3 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Your English is wonderful and I understand every word. This drug, in my mind, is no longer called Cymbalta, it now called " the Devil Drug". LOL. After 8 days cold turkey I thought that except for the brain zap I was through with the problem, because I spent the whole day laughing hysterically at anything anyone said. But, the Devil Drug wasn't finished with me yet. Yesterday, the 9th day, some of the symptoms came back (and I was not laughing) but there was some improvement...slept really well for the first time....so I am hopeful. You are on Day 2 without it...that for me was the worst time. I didn't wean off because I was having side effects to taking it, so I just stopped and each day has gotten somewhat better. I can now drive again without worrying that I will kill somebody. So, stay with it...it can only get better and the sooner that junk is out of your brain the happier you will be. IT WILL GET BETTER. ... Hugs from Canada.

Thank you for your reply. I couldnt help laughing when i read about you laughing hysteically about anything, people araound you was saing, i am experiencing exactly the same since i´ve begun weaning of, and espacially today. I feel crazy when i get these laughs. I have a daughter who is 3½, and i think she found it very amusing that i was laughing at almost anything biggrin.gif
I am not going to give up now, the only thing i am really concerned about is my relatonship, my boyfriend is taking it ok, but i can sense that hes becoming a bit tired of my moodswings. We have a 9 month old boy, a daughter whos 3½ years old, and a big family we see often.
I feel like im putting an huge pressure on him, and i am so afraid of loosing him during this process!

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

Hello Danish girl:
So I guess cymbalta is being taken by patients worldwide......

I am not a doctor, but based on my own experience and from what I´ve read on this site, it seems that you weaned too quickly from a high dose. It has taken me 4 months to go from 60mg to 15mg, and yes, I´ve had withdrawal symptoms but I have been able to function. It is your decision to stay completely off the med, or go back to a certain dose and start weaning from there.

About the laughing, for me it was not funny at all. When I started weaning one day I woke up, and was talking on the phone and couldn´t stop laughing. That feeling of not being able to control my laughter was horrible. Like it is horrible not being able to control the rage.

Hope to hear from you
Hugs
Cookie

#5 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:35 AM

Hello Danish girl:
So I guess cymbalta is being taken by patients worldwide......

I am not a doctor, but based on my own experience and from what I´ve read on this site, it seems that you weaned too quickly from a high dose. It has taken me 4 months to go from 60mg to 15mg, and yes, I´ve had withdrawal symptoms but I have been able to function. It is your decision to stay completely off the med, or go back to a certain dose and start weaning from there.

About the laughing, for me it was not funny at all. When I started weaning one day I woke up, and was talking on the phone and couldn´t stop laughing. That feeling of not being able to control my laughter was horrible. Like it is horrible not being able to control the rage.

Hope to hear from you
Hugs
Cookie

Hi Cookie.

Thank you for answering :)

I called my psyc today and told him about this, he was totally calm, and told me that this is very normal when you quit an antidepressive in the group of SSRI. He said : You just have to hang in there and ride the storm off... I thougt, o my god... Why on earth didnt he tell me this before weaning me off this shit so fast??? :o
But anyways, he said that i could go back on 30 mg pr day for a period of time an stay there till i feel better an then take it every other day and then stop.
But stubborn as i am, i wont go back on it now, i just keep fighting. Not in a million years i would take this devil drug (lol) anymore!
Today is baaad. I am sick, im womiting, cold sweats, shivering, all of my muscles hurts an cramps, my stomack is going crazy, one minut i feel like im burning, the next minut i am cold. The worst part for me is the brain zaps, it makes me nauseous and i stumble when it hits me 3 times in a row...
This is truly, a devil drug!!!!

#6 maddie

maddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am in my 9th day of cold turkey withdrawal from Cymbalta and sort of need to read and/or talk about it.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Cookie...truthfully the laughing kind of scared me too. I also was on the phone and a friend said to me, well you can't be all that bad if you're laughing at everything.She couldn't understand a word I was saying because everything was hysterically "funny". The small part of my brain that has remained sensible was saying oops this is a high high, is there a low low to follow? There wasn't, but the high was gone the next day and I was just exhausted. For me the brain zaps come in a kind of volley of three one after the other, then just the buzzing and then the 3 zaps again. This happens a few times a day, but the buzzing never goes away.
Danish girl...I am getting worried about you. I went cold turkey because I was only on it for 6 weeks and my side effects started while I was still on it so I had to go off totally...maybe you should go to see your doctor and discuss weaning off of it. I know its horrible to think of going back on the DD, but if your symptoms continue at this level maybe you should consider it with your doctor's help. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are....hugs.....
ETA..Also Danish Girl...I have heard that perhaps going on another antidepressant..ie Prozac...for a short period of time can help you through Cymbalta withdrawal. And Prozac isn't difficult to withdraw from. Ask your doctor.

#7 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Cookie...truthfully the laughing kind of scared me too. I also was on the phone and a friend said to me, well you can't be all that bad if you're laughing at everything.She couldn't understand a word I was saying because everything was hysterically "funny". The small part of my brain that has remained sensible was saying oops this is a high high, is there a low low to follow? There wasn't, but the high was gone the next day and I was just exhausted. For me the brain zaps come in a kind of volley of three one after the other, then just the buzzing and then the 3 zaps again. This happens a few times a day, but the buzzing never goes away.
Danish girl...I am getting worried about you. I went cold turkey because I was only on it for 6 weeks and my side effects started while I was still on it so I had to go off totally...maybe you should go to see your doctor and discuss weaning off of it. I know its horrible to think of going back on the DD, but if your symptoms continue at this level maybe you should consider it with your doctor's help. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are....hugs.....
ETA..Also Danish Girl...I have heard that perhaps going on another antidepressant..ie Prozac...for a short period of time can help you through Cymbalta withdrawal. And Prozac isn't difficult to withdraw from. Ask your doctor.

The laughing didnt exactly scare me, but i admit that i at one point was wondering if i was going nuts? :P
My brain zaps also comes 3 times in a row (is that the right way to write it? The english gramma is the hardest part for me) And it comes every time i move "too fast" or when i move my eyes at something very quick.

I am feeling a bit better now, its 7 pm here, and i have been home alone for about 4 hours, my boyfriend took the kids and drove them to his mom so i could relax while he was doing some work. That is SO nice. Ive been able to eat for the first time today, and just lay down and relax, just chill and watch a movie. I tried to sleep, but i just ended up... i dont know how to express it in english, i couldnt sleep, so i was laying in the bed for about 1 hour moving around to find a good way to, eeeh, lay in the bed? Help me here guys! (and girls;)
I dont know if i have told you, but i called my psyc, and he told me that it was normal, and it wasnt that serious so i should just relax and ride it off.
I will though, see how i am feeling when i wake up tomorrow, if there isnt any sign of progress, i will go back on 30 mg, and then wean off by counting beads... is that what you call it? Those thing inside the devil drug? lol.

#8 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

To Danish Girl and Maddie:

Hello DANISH GIRL:
It is true that weaning slowly is less painful than going fast. However, nothing guarantees me, that I am not going to suffer the same withdrawal symptoms that you are suffering now, when I get to 0mg. So if you want to stick with being medication free, then do it. I also want to be antidepressant free....I would like to replace it with an alternative natural therapy, for example homeopathy because I DO think I need a little help with my depression. Have you thought about something to replace cymbalta for your ADHD??? you mentioned some medicines, have you researched the side and withdrawal effects of them???

Dear MADDIE:
Just not being able to control my emotions is was scares me. Once I laugh histerically, many times I have rage outburst (and I am a pretty calm person), and sometimes I want to cry for no reason.
The previous week, was great for me, I felt so happy and energized and then the following week I was very depressed.
It is kind of frustrating because everytime I feel I am getting better, it is just a high followed by a low.
I am still on 15mg of cymbalta. How much are you taking?? are you already off medication??? how long have you been off it???

hugs
Cookie

#9 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

To Danish Girl and Maddie:

Hello DANISH GIRL:
It is true that weaning slowly is less painful than going fast. However, nothing guarantees me, that I am not going to suffer the same withdrawal symptoms that you are suffering now, when I get to 0mg. So if you want to stick with being medication free, then do it. I also want to be antidepressant free....I would like to replace it with an alternative natural therapy, for example homeopathy because I DO think I need a little help with my depression. Have you thought about something to replace cymbalta for your ADHD??? you mentioned some medicines, have you researched the side and withdrawal effects of them???

hugs
Cookie

Im not going to go back on cymbalta, only if it gets worse.

I am taking Strattera for my ADHD and Lamotrigin to stabilize my moodswings. I am going to stick with theese drugs a couple of years i think, cause im going to start work soon and i dont want to make too many changes at the same time:)
I am aware of most of the sideeffects of both of them, i dont know how they will affect me when i am getting of them some day.

Hugs Danish girl

#10 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Danish girl:
Keep on posting on how you feel.....
hugs
Cookie

#11 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

Danish girl:
Keep on posting on how you feel.....
hugs
Cookie

Hey cookie.
I am now on day 4 without any Cymbalta, and i am so suprised that i feel this good when i think about how bad i felt yesterday. Havent had more than 1 brainzap since i got up at 8 am :D
My energy is low, and i feel a bit "foggy". My body hurts and i was feeling wery nauseated when i woke up, i took vitamin B complex, vitamin D, Calcium and multivitamin. And eat i huge meal. And then i started feeling better. I am veeery tired and keep, eeh, i feel like im stoned, you know, when you are sitting and staring out in the air not thinking about anything :P I do that a lot today. I think ill try and go to do my zumba tonight, i do that on wednesdays, and i think it might do me well with some exercise. But now ill se how i feel about that later. Maybe its just a couple of lucky hours now, and then i will hit me again later...
But for now, im fine :)

Thank you so much for your concern.

H. The dane

#12 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hello Danish Girl:
Low energy, foggy, nausea are withdrawal symptoms I´ve also felt.
It is great that you are taking vitamins.
What is zumba?????
Do not be dissapointed if symptoms reappear eventually, it has happened to me, and I´ve learned to not be discouraged when it happens. Your body/brain will stabilize sooner or later.
Well the good thing is that you felt good today. Go day by day.
hugs
Cookie

#13 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

I have never been this sick. Yesterday was so nice. I woke up this morning feeling like i was going to die. The zaps are killing me, i cant even write here without getting them. I am womiting, having cramps all over, shaking, my whole body seems to be shutting down.
Ill keep you updated.

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

I have never been this sick. Yesterday was so nice. I woke up this morning feeling like i was going to die. The zaps are killing me, i cant even write here without getting them. I am womiting, having cramps all over, shaking, my whole body seems to be shutting down.
Ill keep you updated.

Danish Girl:
Stay strong, one day at a time.....

#15 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:11 AM

Danish Girl:
Stay strong, one day at a time.....

Hi cookie.

Yesterday was a nightmare, i have never been this sick. Today is allready much better, but as you say, one day at the time, tomorrow can be just as bad as yesterday. I shure do not hope so!!!! :o

I cant believe that this drug is beeing given to anyone, there is allways an alternative! This drug, is poison :angry:

#16 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Danish Girl:
I am glad you are feeling better.
hugs
Cookie

#17 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Dear Danish Girl,
Your use of English is great! I wish our young people would learn English as well as you have. I know sentence structure and verb tenses are so confusing.

I love your attitude too. Keep going - you can do it. One day at a time. I'm down to 18mg so I'm looking at a brighter future too.

Best wishes!
TimC

#18 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

Dear Danish Girl,
Your use of English is great! I wish our young people would learn English as well as you have. I know sentence structure and verb tenses are so confusing.

I love your attitude too. Keep going - you can do it. One day at a time. I'm down to 18mg so I'm looking at a brighter future too.

Best wishes!
TimC

Hi Tim.

Thank you so much, i find it very easy to speak english, but when it comes to the gramma-part, it is difficult for me sometimes because the danish gramma is allmost the direct opposite :blink:
But i have learned that google.com is my friend :D

I am now at day 8 without Cymbalta, and the past few days has actually been ok, i am not having the brain zaps anymore, and that for me, was the worst part!
Now i am starting to experience flu like symptomes; headache, my muscles are sore, feels like im burning hot- but my bodytemp. is normal.

And then there is the phsycic part :o
I am allmoust sure, that my poor boyfriend is convinced that i am going craaaaazy! :lol:
I am crying, then laughing, crying again, but not "real" crying, more like, my eyes tear up, and then it stop. Then it turns to anger, rage, i yell a bit, and then my conciense takes over and i start crying again, feeling so bad for my poor kids and husband :lol: Its actually kind of funny.... :huh:

And Tim, we are gonna make it, we just have to stand together, and support eachother! :)

Eminem sings it well on his new single:
I'm not afraid to take a stand
Everybody come take my hand
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you're not alone
Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road
;)

#19 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Yes. We will make it! One day at a time, we'll keep going. And we'll make it.

(Yeah, you're so right about English - especially in a forum like this where so much of the time we chat back and forth and very few of us use complete sentences. Ich nahm zwei Jahre Deutsch in die oberschule - 40 years ago for goodness sakes!! Yeah, you're right. Google translation is pretty nice. I could get started but I couldn't remember one complete sentence.) Ha!

You know, that reminds me of another thing that is so important to keep in mind = we have to maintain some degree of a sense of humor through this weaning process. I know, comedians out of work and why did you get stuck with me. (No, I'm not really a comedian. I'm sure you can tell.)

Well, it's late, I'm tired and maybe I'm getting just a little bit dizzy.

Oregon, USA, signing off.
TimC

#20 IamDanish

IamDanish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

Yes. We will make it! One day at a time, we'll keep going. And we'll make it.

(Yeah, you're so right about English - especially in a forum like this where so much of the time we chat back and forth and very few of us use complete sentences. Ich nahm zwei Jahre Deutsch in die oberschule - 40 years ago for goodness sakes!! Yeah, you're right. Google translation is pretty nice. I could get started but I couldn't remember one complete sentence.) Ha!

You know, that reminds me of another thing that is so important to keep in mind = we have to maintain some degree of a sense of humor through this weaning process. I know, comedians out of work and why did you get stuck with me. (No, I'm not really a comedian. I'm sure you can tell.)

Well, it's late, I'm tired and maybe I'm getting just a little bit dizzy.

Oregon, USA, signing off.
TimC

Hi Tim.

I am having a difficult time reading and spelling these days, the words seems to be harder for me to remember.
I hope that it will pass soon, cause the only thing keeping me from going nuts is this site.
About the humor, oh yes, i dont think you can make it through this withdrawal without any sense of humor. I can laugh at almost anything, for an example, when i fall, and i hurt myself very bad, i always start laughing (I know, im a bit crazy) :lol: :blink:
But then again, i also laugh when i watch AFV. I love seeing people get hurt that way... ;)

Now, i will go an lay down in my bed an relax while my baby boy is napping. THAT my friend, is quality time for me. lol B)

Tanja, Copenhagen, Denmark.

#21 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

Dear Tanja:
I´ve also had difficulty remembering words (names of people I know, and places).
It´s weird but one thing I´ve learned in this process, is to enjoy the times/moments I feel well. Those times, I do have a sense of humor.

hugs
cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users