Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawing from Cymbalta.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hey guys,

I was hesitant to start on Cymbalta in the first place, but after three weeks of not wanting to get out of bed until 3pm, this stuff isn't for me. I have realized that my months of depression stem from simply being dissatisfied with my life but afraid to make a change. So I'm going to just make the changes, instead of take this pill.

At first I took 30mg, but since I didn't experience strong side effects, I was bumped up to 60 after five days. I've been taking 60 for three weeks, and for most of that time, I've been useless.

My doctor prescribed me 30mg a day for 2 weeks, then 30 mg every other day for 2 weeks, then stopping altogether.

I don't think I need so slow a taper, since I've been on it so briefly. My pharmacist hasn't called me to let me know my prescription is ready, so yesterday I took a 60 and dumped out about a quarter of its pellets. For today's dose, I dumped out half the pellets.

So far:
- Slight shakiness.
- Mild anxiety
- Dry eyes

Also, today's my birthday.

#2 texas_rose

texas_rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am trying to understand my severe withdrawal a.k.a. "discontinuation" symptoms, since deciding to wean myself off of Cymbalta about one month ago.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Happy Birthday and take care. I am glad that you are not having too many symptoms. Hope it continues to go well for you. :)

#3 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Felt zonked for a couple hours when I woke up. Had odd feelings of nostalgia. I had approximately 20mg Cymbalta.

No brain zaps, cold sweats, refractory depression, or mania.

#4 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

I haven't taken one today and feel no side effects at all. I even woke up at a reasonable hour. I don't think I built up enough of it in my system to get side effects. I'm going to take 10-15mg if I feel any later today.

Glad to be off this stuff. I am looking back on my 3 weeks on cymbalta the way one might look back on a revelatory drug trip.

Oh, and no depression. In retrospect, whenever I've been anxious/depressed, I've always felt much better after doing something good for myself. I think that making the decision to try an anti-D, and admitting I was depressed, and then really reflecting on why and coming up with a plan to deal with my concerns, has alleviated my depression.

#5 Debbie M.

Debbie M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning from cymbalta

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Sometimes withdrawal starts several days after stopping. Maybe you won't have any at all? I hope so.

#6 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

Sometimes withdrawal starts several days after stopping. Maybe you won't have any at all? I hope so.

It's been about a week since I took my last dose. Very mild brain zaps. Vivid dreams, which is weird because before Cymbalta, I'd rarely remember my dreams in the first place. Some mild IBS type issues that seem to have resolved the past couple days. Some days I have good energy, some days I drag a bit. I still haven't had the gumption to go to the gym again, but I'm getting there.

But no depression. I was a little irritated by my mother the other day, but she was being fairly negative anyway (like suggesting I cook sausages and potatoes, and then not eating most of what I cooked). I guess she was having a bad day herself on account of her car being in the shop and having just had her birthday the day before. If I were on the cymbalta, I'd have just taken a nap. Instead I just did the dishes. I didn't dwell on it or anything.

Oh, and I went to pick up my prescription last week in case I needed to get on my doctor's weaning plan. Two weeks of 30 mg twice a day, then two weeks of 30mg every other day. Somehow, it actually cost more than one month of 60mg/day. I was shocked. I told them I couldn't afford it. It seemed absolutely absurd and possibly illegal that it'd cost more to get off Cymbalta than stay on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users