Photo

Question Regarding Getting Down To The End.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I've been on cymbalta for aprox. 2 years for anxiety. I gained 45 pounds and noticed a change in my personality that I did not like. I have been trying to get off Cymbalta for months with horrid side effects. Looking for support and answers to get through this.

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have been on this cymbalta withdrawal nightmare for several months now. I am finally down to 23 beads in my capsule. I have been reducing a bead by 1 everyday, but that has become too much at this point. I am still having tolerable physical symptoms, but lots of mental issues( negative thoughts, agitation, severe sadness at times, and rage)My question is, at the stage in the weaning process would it just be better to stop altogether and get through it, or drag this out even longer. My thoughts are if I am suffering with 1 bead drop per day, I might as well just stop and not drag this out any longer. Would love to hear advice or insight from people who have gotten to this stage and what worked best for them. I am a bit scared to take that step and just be done for fear of the more severe symptoms I felt earlier on. Thanks so much for any input you could ahare!!!

#2 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I've been on cymbalta for aprox. 2 years for anxiety. I gained 45 pounds and noticed a change in my personality that I did not like. I have been trying to get off Cymbalta for months with horrid side effects. Looking for support and answers to get through this.

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

Nobody???

#3 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for your response. I am going to see a new psych. doctor soon and see what I should do. I have two children to take care of, so I am just afraid to just stop for fear I won't be able to function. I hate this drug! Good luck to you as well!

#4 LindaMexico

LindaMexico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am going to go off cymbalta and want to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thank you for your response. I am going to see a new psych. doctor soon and see what I should do. I have two children to take care of, so I am just afraid to just stop for fear I won't be able to function. I hate this drug! Good luck to you as well!

Over three days I have gone from taking out 20 beads to 35 beads. I take the cymbalta at night. Then in the morning I am taking 5 mg of Prozac. So far I have felt tired but haven't had any of the other symptoms of withdrawal -- no brain zaps, no dizziness, etc. I have a much easier time getting off prozac than I do Cymbalta. I know this because I took Prozac for many years and easily went on and off. My plan is to keep reducing the Cymbalta and start increasing the Prozac until I am on only Prozac which then I will titrate down. Prozac is a cousin of Cymbalta so I would think it would work better than Welbutrin.

#5 TimC97124

TimC97124

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • why_joining:
    Taking Cymbalta for 4 years has taken it's toll and now I need to get off of it.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

I've been dropping by 1 mg per day since I got down to 20 mg. Today was 2 mg, tomorrow 1 mg. Symptoms be damned, I'm determined to get off of this devil drug. That determination plus the thought of finally quitting plus the fact that I am dropping a bit every day really lifts my spirits and keeps me going.

This stupid drug isn't going to stop me from quitting. :)

Fight on!
=TimC

#6 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I went to see a new pdoc today. It was very dicouraging considering she seemed to make light of my symptoms and tried to blame it on depression coming back. I was never really a depressed person before cymbalta. It was mainly anxiety, so I wasn't buying it! She did give me a prescription for Zoloft 25mg. She didn't seem too informed on the cross tapering method. Does anyone know if Zoloft works as well as Prozac? I am not sure how long I should take the zoloft before I either taper down or completely stop the cymbalta. I am down to 20 beads(aprox. 2mg)Has anyone used Zoloft to taper off at the end?? Thanks!

#7 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Karen, I talked to the pharmacist and she said there shouldn't be a problem taking the zoloft(25mg)with the cymbalta(2mg)since they are both very low doses. I have taken the Zoloft for two days and dropped 2 beads out of my capsule a few days ago. I am now down to 18 beads. Today has been a rough day. I am starting to feel the agitation, joint pains, mood swings, and headaches again. Fortunately I have a prescription for xanax and that has taken the edge off.I am hoping that the xanax won't pose a new problem for me down the road. It is just so unbelievable that this drug can cause such major withdrawal at only 2mg!!! The beginning was much easier. The farther I get down the worst it gets, which is very frightening. I just want to feel normal again.I am so glad to have found this forum. It's comforting knowing I'm not the only one going through this nightmare, but I would never wish this on anyone! I hope everyone else is doing okay on there journey. We can beat this drug!~Lisa

#8 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

I have decided to hold off on dropping any more beads for now. I think I need to get my body accustomed to taking zoloft first. Maybe I'll try again in a week or so. Today I am having lots of anxiety and a major headache! I can't wait until this is over! Thanks for all the advice!

#9 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi Gen x,

I think you'll quickly learn that you can't follow the doctors advice for tapering off Cymbalta. It just does NOT work! The every other day method is just confusing your brain. I know it is tedious, but removing a small amount of beads from your capsule each day or as withdrawal symptoms let up is a better way to wean. The problem is the lower you get, the harder it gets. I am learning this first hand. When I was at the larger dosages I was removing 7 more beads each day. I can't do that anymore. The symptoms have become too severe. Take it slow! You will thank yourself!

I understand the weight issue. I too gained 40lbs while in 2 years while on cymbalta and I went to the gym 4-5 time per week. The scale just would not budge!! I am trying not to concern myself with the weight right now and just get through the withdrawals. I will lose the weight when I feel better and you can too! Good luck to you! I know this sucks!

#10 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

My bet is you'll feel better by this evening or tomorrow since you've taken 30mg. I would stay there until you feel a whole lot better and then open the capsule and start reducing the beads. Take out a little more each day or as often as you can tolerate it. If the symptoms start to get bad again, stay at that dose for a while. There is also some information on this site about nutrional supplements you can take that are suppose to help. I do have to say that no matter what, you are most likely going to suffer somewhat even going slow, it just won't be as intense. The lower I've gotten the harder it has become for me and I've read that is true for others as well. I am at 2mg and holding and I have also started a low dose of Zoloft to hopefully help get me off cymbalta completely. I will then taper off Zoloft when I feel better. It's a loooooong process and definitely difficult. Sorry your going through it too.

#11 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Hello all,

Well I fell asleep Monday night and forgot to take my dose of 15 beads. I made the decission Tuesday morning that I was just going to keep going and not look back. So it's Wed. afternoon and I am starting to feel the physical withdrawals coming on. I am still on a low dose of zoloft and it does seem to be helping with the mental issues. I am not nearly as weepy or irritated as I was before, so that's a good thing! I do have a headache and I am starting to feel the stomach cramping and body pains. I am going to try to just keep on going and get through it. Hope everyone is doing okay! Oh also, I found a pretty good article on the FDA webbsite regarding the scope and severity of Cymbalta withdrawal. I printed it off and I am going to take a copy to my doctor since he seems to be in the dark...but most of them are! If you want to find it just go to the FDA website and search Cymbalta withdrawal. It should be the first article that pops up. I am on a mission to make doctors aware of the seriousness of these withdrawals!! Take care everyone!

#12 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hello all,

Well I fell asleep Monday night and forgot to take my dose of 15 beads. I made the decission Tuesday morning that I was just going to keep going and not look back. So it's Wed. afternoon and I am starting to feel the physical withdrawals coming on. I am still on a low dose of zoloft and it does seem to be helping with the mental issues. I am not nearly as weepy or irritated as I was before, so that's a good thing! I do have a headache and I am starting to feel the stomach cramping and body pains. I am going to try to just keep on going and get through it. Hope everyone is doing okay! Oh also, I found a pretty good article on the FDA webbsite regarding the scope and severity of Cymbalta withdrawal. I printed it off and I am going to take a copy to my doctor since he seems to be in the dark...but most of them are! If you want to find it just go to the FDA website and search Cymbalta withdrawal. It should be the first article that pops up. I am on a mission to make doctors aware of the seriousness of these withdrawals!! Take care everyone!

#13 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Well I'm almost to the 2 wk mark with no Cymbalta and still taking 25 mg Zoloft. Here are my symptoms...off and on headaches,extreme thirst,stomach cramping, loose bowels, joint pains, anxiety, insomnia,trouble finding words, and irritability. The other night when we were in the car all of sudden felt like I didn't know where I was. It was very frightning. I can't imagine what it would have been like without the zoloft. I am hoping and praying this gets better soon. I have heard people say that they start to feel better at the 2wk mark. I just need to remember this will pass. I live on this site just getting encouragement from other posts. So glad that we all at least have each other. I will keep posting as I progress. I want to give others hope when I am past this. I will get past this and so will you!

Take care,
Lisa

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Dear'gettingthroughit':
I´ve had the same symptoms you mention while weaning. I hate the trouble I have finding words. It also happened to me not knowing were I was. It was one night I was watching a TV program I watch -everynight-. Suddently I spaced out, didn´t know where I was, who I was, what I was watching. Like you say, a very frightening experience.

Reading that other people who have quit or weaned from the drug have had the same symptoms, gives me some relief and convinces me it is just withdrawal, and it will pass.

Years ago and acupuncturist told me that "the human body and brain were perfect and they knew how to get back to balance". That is one phrase I remember often now that I am weaning. I just trust that my brain will go back to balance, at some point.

#15 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

Thanks Cookie, I am going to hang onto that hope too. :)

#16 gettingthroughit

gettingthroughit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

Well tomorrow I hit the 3 week mark without Cymbalta. My physical symptoms are getting better and better every day. I wish I could say the same for my mood and cognitive abilities. I am still having difficulty with memory and finding words. I was trying to have a conversation yesterday and I kept stuttering. It was very embarassing. The person was just looking at me like would you just spit it out lady! Also I am still waking up at about 4:00-5:00 every morning unable to go back to sleep. I have anxiety off and on all day and I am still extremely irritable. I am sure my poor family is tired of dealing with me. I sure am tired of feeling this way. Still hoping...

#17 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

Dear'gettingthroughit':
You are not alone.
I also had an embarrasing situation. I went to have lunch with a co-worker and I didn´t remember the name of the person I supervised for 7 years. Usually I have the images of people and places in my mind but can´t remember the names. My physical symptoms are also better, but my extreme moods swings are horrible. I never know what to expect. I am also very irritable for no reason. The other day at a birthday party, I started screaming to a family member, because she took the piece of birthday cake I wanted!!! (there were other pieces of cake), but I wanted the one she took!. I have always been a very calm and patient person.
This shall pass......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users