• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yeasayer

yeasayer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    to learn from others and share my experiences.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

EDIT: thanks for kind words and support, I'm going to ask her to check out this website.

#2 Laurennk

Laurennk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Help with withdraw symptoms

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

I think/ hope that she would understand and be thankful that there is and explanation for what was going on. Don't look at it as a weakness!! It is what it is! You can't control this. I have been upfront with people in the past and they seem to understand. I always tell people and ask them if they have any questions.
Be strong and be open. You nor her did anything to cause this. Your brain is a complicated mess of neurons and neurotransmitters, and something in yours just went a little crooked! I like to explain it to someone in the scientific way. It makes it less personalized, like not on you as a person so much. Tell her that neurotransmitters are not firing the way in you brain as they are in hers. If she still doesn't understand it give her the resources to. Send her to a web page, buy her a book, or draw a diagram!
Let her know your getting help, by taking the cymbalta (which i feel is the devil medication). Explain to her that it is increasing the amount of serotonin in your brain.
I don't think it is weak that you have this issue. I think that it is amazing that you admit to your condition, and are willing to get help.
This might be all over the place, and sorry for that if it is. Just tying to help. Good luck with it! And if she cares about you as much as the way you make me feel like she does then she will understand!!

#3 honeybear2212

honeybear2212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have just my gynecologist ask me to get off of Cymbalta because I needed to start a medication for another condition. This in turn made it necessary for me to contact my neurologist to help me D/C the cymbalta which I have been taking. This medication was prescribed for a condition unrelated to the intractable migraine headaches that she has been treating me for in fact the GI doctor that put me on Cymbalta for an abdominal neuropathic pain 5-6 years ago is not even practicing medicine in my state anymore but my neurologist kept me on it. I figured now was my chance to make her take me off of it! She did she told me ( I have been taking 30mg/day) take it every other day then stop that was 3 weeks today.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time getting off this med. I have been getting off this med since March and am still having issues but am feeling so much more of myself every day! I think the best thing for her to understand what's going on with you is to let her log on to this site. My best friend, we were in your situation once, didn't understand either and I told him to log on and look at what other people were going through and maybe he would understand why I was having such a hard time with this med. I have intractable migraines and have been on 3 SSRI's t one time plus other meds (which I take everyday)and I have been giving each one of them up one at a time and it's been hell. Seroquel XL last year, Cymbalta now and I'm still on Wellbutrin, yes I was on all 3 at the same time boy was I a zombie, and I was taking topamax and a beta blocker, every day. The point I'm making is we have chemical imbalances too that cause migraines and he saw from this site how hard it is to get off this med and in some cases how difficult it is to live with a chemical imbalance. It does not make you a weak person if you are male or female you just need to find the right doc and med to fix this and being in chronic pain is debilitating and there are meds out there that can help that aren't CYMBALTA!!!!!! Good luck and I know you just need to some time but you'll get there!! Liz

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

Dear yeasayer:
It has been hard for my family and friends to understand Depression. Most people think, it is just the normal sadness any human being can have, not understanding it is something deeper than that.

Since my severe Depression hit, it has been hard for me to consider having a partner. I just keep on asking myself: What can I offer that person????....At the same time, I´ve read posts about couples on this site, in which it seems it is possible for a person who has depression to be loved and have a life, work, children.

What has impressed me the most, is that I´ve seen people in here who are completely healthy but are searching for information to help their wife or girlfriend. I then understood, it is so important to find a partner, who is very sensible and who is willing to enjoy the good times and give support in the bad times. I agree with Honeybear, a way of making her understand what you are going through is to log on this site.

I think there is more to tell about Depression than just being "a chemical imbalance, that has to be treated for life". To me is more than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users