#1 harleyguy

harleyguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    wife is having problems getting off cymbalta

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

My wife has been on cymbalta for about 2 years, before that it was paxil. She has decided to go threw the process of weaning herself off with our Dr's help. They did the less dosage for a month then the every other day. The withdrawal started the first week of the every other day, so she stopped taking it. We have made it past the nausia, headache and general feeling like shit. Last night she woke me up in a panic, she said she woke up an hour before having a panic attack (she has never had this happen) I held her and told her she was going to be ok, till she fell back to sleep. She also has had mild thoughts of suicide, she has never felt before. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this just another phase of the withdrawal? Any thoughts would be great. She feels like she has totally lost it and I feel totally helpless.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Dear Harleyguy:
Yes, I´ve had more anxiety than before cymbalta. And panic attacks are caused by anxiety. Concerning suicide thoughts, it happened to me once. They were horrible thoughts.
I´ve read on this site, that doing the every other day approach is not that good. It is better to take a certain dosage of cymbalta -everyday-

#3 ladypennyp

ladypennyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Looking for support, feeling terrible

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Hi, sorry ive not got any words of wisdom, im new, lost, shocked, in pain, feel sick and all of the other shit that goes along with coming off this 'wonder drug' but just wanted to say, it sounds like your doing the right thing by being there and supporting your wife. Keep doing what your doing, shes lucky to have your support.

#4 itsnotinyourhead

itsnotinyourhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    scared I am losing it!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Yes, I felt very bad. My husband asked me to stop so when I ran out that was it. was taking 30mg a day. Its worse getting off this drug than it is getting on it. I felt impulsive, moody, suicidal. Scared as you know what! Its been ten days and Im not dead. THANK GOD!

#5 Nell

Nell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hey everyone. I am just looking for some support. I have been thinking of going cold turkey for a while. I have been on 60mg for about 5 yrs I think. I had been having this mysterious pain in my right leg. after 4 MRI's nothing was found. My neurologist decided to try neuropothy drugs that did nothing. He ended up giving me Cymb. Had releif. Great. Still had bad flare ups with the pain problem. Was discussing this with my family physician. He had me lay down on the table on my side and immediately touched a spot on my hip. I have burcitis (hope I spelled that right). So why am I still taking this drug I no longer need. Friday I had my last dose. I am going through what I describe as sparks or little surprises in my head. I have not had any of the other side effects like the nausea, other pains or anything. I am hoping that I will be better off by Christmas. Maybe I am just being optimistic. I am sure I will need some hand holding. Please pray for me. I will keep this group in my prayers too.

#6 itsnotinyourhead

itsnotinyourhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    scared I am losing it!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hey everyone. I am just looking for some support. I have been thinking of going cold turkey for a while. I have been on 60mg for about 5 yrs I think. I had been having this mysterious pain in my right leg. after 4 MRI's nothing was found. My neurologist decided to try neuropothy drugs that did nothing. He ended up giving me Cymb. Had releif. Great. Still had bad flare ups with the pain problem. Was discussing this with my family physician. He had me lay down on the table on my side and immediately touched a spot on my hip. I have burcitis (hope I spelled that right). So why am I still taking this drug I no longer need. Friday I had my last dose. I am going through what I describe as sparks or little surprises in my head. I have not had any of the other side effects like the nausea, other pains or anything. I am hoping that I will be better off by Christmas. Maybe I am just being optimistic. I am sure I will need some hand holding. Please pray for me. I will keep this group in my prayers too.

It doesnt help if you read all the other peoples symptoms. It gets better everyday you are off, there will be bad days but also good days, take it one day at a time and you will feel better soon. Stay optimistic because that will help you get through this! Have a wonderful Christmas & thankyou for prayers.

#7 Ailuj

Ailuj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

I am also in my second week of withdrawal. I was taking 60mg daily for about 6 months. Prior to that I had been on Effexor for about 5 years. I have depression. I tapered off Cymbalta through December, taking my last 60mg on Christmas day. I have brain shakes,dizzy spells, hot and cold flushes and really wierd, often violent thoughts. However, when I was taking Cymbalta, I could not stop smoking, drinking or eating. I was tired all the time and kept gaining weight. I know that I am suffering now but I think it will be worth it. I am doing my best to take care of my family and pull myself up before becoming too narky. Funny how the medical professional are so quick to prescribe these kinds of drugs and don't warn you about the side effects. (Actually so not funny-tragic really)!!!
Good luck to everyone else. Keep looking at the big picture.
Love
Ailuj

#8 Chw31

Chw31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm going cold turkey after one year exactly from 60mg. I feel like my anixety, panic attacks, insomnia, tired/sluggish body have been worse this last year. Also, I'm trying to have and live a more nautral life. I never had diagnosed depression but have always had anxiety. I used to just live with it. I don't know why, now looking back, I ever thought this was a good idea. It is so much worse - so I'm hoping and looking to the bright side that once the withdrawl symptoms stop I will be better than ever because I know what I know.

I have the physical symptoms (brain "zaps", dizziness, stomach and head aches) but it's the anger, frustration, (embarassing to say but true) my rage. I can barely finish normal sentences without brusting into tears. I truly was feeling like I was loosing my mind. I had the thought that I'm putting "too much on my family", how their lives would "be better" if they didn't have to deal with me being what I thought as "psycho". My husband was out of town and terrified as I vented ON, not TO him.

I found this website out of the grace of God - I know that it was an episode and as I explained it to my family, and of course, apologized because of the awful things I said and did in my tantrum, they were so wonderful, as I should have known they would be. Of course, told me there was nothing to be sorry for (So wonderful).

Please everyone out there that reads this, know that you, your mind and body is stronger than this drug and these symptoms. It has to pass. I wish it were passing faster. I am in my first week and hope that in a month or so this will all be just a bad memory!! :)

#9 Chw31

Chw31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

My wife has been on cymbalta for about 2 years, before that it was paxil. She has decided to go threw the process of weaning herself off with our Dr's help. They did the less dosage for a month then the every other day. The withdrawal started the first week of the every other day, so she stopped taking it. We have made it past the nausia, headache and general feeling like shit. Last night she woke me up in a panic, she said she woke up an hour before having a panic attack (she has never had this happen) I held her and told her she was going to be ok, till she fell back to sleep. She also has had mild thoughts of suicide, she has never felt before. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this just another phase of the withdrawal? Any thoughts would be great. She feels like she has totally lost it and I feel totally helpless.

You are on here - looking for help! You are being there for her for the "worse" just like you said you would! I thank and applaud you! Keep doing what you are doing!!!

#10 renaquagirl

renaquagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Im so happy to have found all of you, too. :) Thank god.

I'm totally off for over a week now after weaning over months. Got the symptoms wicked bad. It's starting to clear a little. Good to read we can get through this. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users