• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcgirl45

bcgirl45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • why_joining:
    Quit klonopin cold turkey about 40 days ago. Cymbalta weaning and looking for info to get this OUT!

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi, this is how I got off cymbalta. I don't know why admin doesn't lock this as a lot of people do this.

Now, I spoke through email with this woman Byee. Here is her link. She used prozac for 1 month. 10 mg I believe. It is used, not because of any relevance to serotonin. I do understand your concern with serotonin syndrome which I'll address after this point. But because the half life of cymbalta as you know is so short. And the half life of prozac is much longer, to cover up withdrawal of cymbalta. Her link.

FOR SOME REASON THE LINKS I'M POSTING WON'T COME THROUGH ONCE I HIT POST.

PLEASE GOOGLE THIS.> hub pages weaning off cymbalta

> this will take you to the internet page with this title > weaning off cymbalta what doctors don't tell you. CLICK ON THAT AND THIS MAY HELP YOU.

I used it only for 10 days at 10 mg first which I could feel was too heavy, and then I found 5 mg was just enough to cover brainshocks, and I was off. Only 10 days. There are many of us that used it short term. I only became aware of this method after more researching on the internet, when I was down to about 30 mg from 60 mg of cymbalta from starting a quick taper that was rough. My doctor had no clue but told me that if the cymbalta was higher and the prozac combined equal 40 then it may be a concern. I had no problem. And quite frankly, I don't believe they really have a clue, but I just fearfully did it. And it worked. It didn't eliminate everything but it made it significantly easier.

Here is the link from this site when a few jumped in from using prozac. A bit of discrepancy as one member couldn't understand it worked for a few and would get upset by people using it and getting off.

http://www.cymbaltaw...y-off-cymbalta/

Here is another link with a man named Steve to add to the list that used the method shortterm and it worked as well.
http://www.cymbaltaw...ac-temporarily/

And another link with a woman named Frisky Kitty that used it as well.
http://www.cymbaltaw...y-off-cymbalta/

I hope this helps. I really don't know why admin doesn't lock this so people don't come in and keep asking and/or have to sift through threads as this works for some shortterm.

Good luck. BCgirl45-I think this a good method for those that just want to be med free. Many of us that used this method just wanted off of cymbalta and only used prozac to cover cymbala withdrawals. Not to add prozac as an AD.

It appears MD's may unwittingly work for the pharmeceutical companies instead of people which has flushed the hypocratic oath. Unwittingly, just isn't a good enough excuse.

Take care.

#2 skamp55

skamp55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I was have been on Cymbalta for several years. I am 26 years old and have been trying to get off of it for quite a long time. I am actually in the process of getting off of it now. It is a tough journey. I am really happy to have found this site.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi bcgirl 45. I am really glad you posted this because I am currently weaning off Cymbalta while Prozac. It was pretty much the only thing my doctor had to recommend to me. When I asked him, "What if is does not work?" He pretty much giggled and said "Well that is why we are trying it, to see if it does work" and "If it doesn't work than maybe that means you aren't ready to be off Cymbalta".

Crappiest advice EVER!!! Thanks DOC. Looks like I am doing this one on my own. Me and Prozac that is. Anyways, I have experienced ALL of the terrible withdrawals from trying to get off Cymbalta before. Although I still have those "fun" side effects this time, they are FAR MORE manageable this time around. I was taking 60 mg every night before I tried getting off this go-round. 60 was beginning not to cut it as I was experiencing withdrawals before the end of each night. Fun times! So now I am on Prozac and I have got it down to one 30 mg Cymbalta every 2nd night. The following day after a drop is usually the only day I feel any withdrawals and then I go about a week or two on that number of doses. This seems to be working so far. Although not ideal, this is by far the best scenario I have found personally.

A positive attitude about it is a DEFINITE must though. I can talk myself in to anything if m my mind fixates on the negatives enough. We all know that when we are trying to get off Cymbalta our heads are already not in the right state of mind AT ALL.

From my experience, I recommend trying Prozac to help ease the withdrawl process. I will let you all know how it goes for sure when it is all over!!!

Ashley

PS - I apologize, but I did not have time to proof read what I just wrote. I hope it makes sense! I am in a super big rush, but I just joined this forum and I HAD to get this down for someone to read! I hope it brings others hope. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

#3 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

My doctor put me on 20mg prozac and cut my cymbalta from 60mg to 30mg. I was supposed to go back and forth on the cymbalta dose every day for a week then go to 30mg every day for the next week. I read on this forum that going back and forth was a bad idea so I just swithed to 30mg on a daily basis. That was 8 days ago.

Here's my problem with the prozac. The first day I took it was the first day that I dropped to 30mg cymbalta. I can easily skip a day on 60mg cymbalta without any symptoms but I felt very differet that first day. I know it was the prozac causing this so I did some research and found that many of the side effects of prozac are the same things listed for cymbalta withdrawal.

By day 5 on 30mg cymbalta, I was starting to feel very anxious. I'm still not sure if it is because of cymbalta withdrawal or side effects of prozac. I talked to my doctor and he doubled the dose of prozac to 40mg. This has seemed to help with the anxiety. I have noticed that I'm starting to feel more angry over the last 2 days. I know this is a symptom of cymbalta withdrawal.

My brain feels all mixed up right now. I don't seem to be experiencing a lot of withdrawal symptoms but the prozac is kicking my butt. And I run out 30mg cymbalta on next Monday. My doctor wants me to go cold turkey after that. I hope the prozac has stabilized by then. I have been through cymbalta cold turkey withdrawal before and it sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users