• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Old Timer

Old Timer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    To help others go through and understand what I have.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

This is my first attempt at something like this, and probably last. I'd like to offer what I've been through and what to expect. I started Paxil maybe around 25 years ago for cluster headaches. After around 15 years it quit working and I had to go off of it before starting cymbalta. I weaned down 5mg a dose for about a month. The cluster headaches were so bad it had to be hurried as I was even hospitalized for a week to make sure it wasn't something like a brain tumor causing them (actually 2nd time, 1st time was when they first started). Anyway, it was horrible with the electric zaps, emotional uncontrol, went through 51 of the 52 withdrawal symptoms listed for Paxil; suicide was the only one left. I even broke down balling in front of my boss at one time; they may think I'm nuts to this day, I don't know. Anyway, it was replaced with Cymbalta. I found I was irritable and nervous and my blood pressure began to be high, so started on a blood pressure med. Clusters continued along with irritation so they added Welbutrin. Hot flashes began again as had with Paxil, but were much worse. Tried to get off of them down the road, but cluster headaches came back, so couldn't. The final straw was getting hurt at work and they added Celebrex. Didn't want to take it as I'd heard of the bad possible side effects. The doc insisted and four days later I had a stroke. I beleive it was the combo of Cymbalta, Welbutrin, and Celebrex that did it. Doctors (now plural) said they though the Celebrex caused my blood pressure to go so high, my kidneys shut down causing a toxic overload. Long story short, it caused Horner's Syndrome and killed a large nerve on my forehead. Two years later, I haven't had any more cluster headaches and hope the nerve damage may keep me from ever getting them again. I stopped the Welbutrin with little side effects other than began to become irritable again. So now I've started cutting down on Cymbalta the last month and a half. I hate docs, so though I shouldn't have, I quit taking doses and am extending days between when I get the severe withdrawalto take them. It's been a month and a half now and am up to a week and a day without taking any. I had a bad cold and about over it, but have had bad fatigue. Checked my blood pressure and it was low. So next step, quit taking the blood pressure med and keep an eye on it. I'm wondering whether it's part of the withdrawal from Cymbalta or the blood pressure med isn't needed anymore. I don't know at this point. If you're considering quitting any antidepressent, study all the withdrawal symptons related to it, they can be horrible. Do not quit cold turkey, you're asking for disaster and possible real harm even if you've been on them just a few weeks. CUT DOWN GRADUALLY, no more than 5mgs at a time (only my recommendation, I am no doctor), and spend the time and money and GO TO A DOC for help. I've made the mistakes and gone through the misery more than once, so please pay heed. Most of all, good luck. Reflect on why you were on the med to begin with and if you should be on it or another form. In my case, I haven't had a return of the cluster headaches so far. If I do, I will look for a new treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users