Photo

I'm Scared...what Did I Get Myself In To?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elaine

Elaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want off CYMBALTA yesterday but am doing a slow withdraw

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hi All! I've posted on here a few times and now I'm back. I have been Cymbalta-free for a few months now and thought I was really starting to feel great. No more side effects, back to my old self, etc. However, about 4 weeks ago I started developing insomnia. At first I thought little of it, but it has progressed to a nightly thing, where I am not getting more than a couple hours of sleep. Feeling desperate, I made an appt. with the Dr. who gave me Lunesta, which worked great in helping me GET to sleep but not stay asleep. I would wake again about 4 hours after taking it and not be able to go back to sleep. So, I made another appt. and the Dr. now has me prescribed Celexa (for anxiety) and Ambien. I have not taken the Celexa because I do NOT want back on the med roller coaster and am scared to death after my wretched withdrawal from Cymbalta. I really don't want to be on meds but I am scared that maybe I need to be...this of course now has me feeling anxious, scared, and obsessive so I feel like I'm caught in a vicious cycle. I am becoming anxious from lack of sleep, worrying that I now have an anxiety problem, etc. and I'm just scared. I never saw myself as an anxious person. I feel pretty good through the day, not like I have debilitating anxiety or anything. It's becoming a problem though because now I THINK about the possibility that I have anxiety which makes me have anxiety... I really would like some relief and am tempted to just start the Celexa. What do I do? I wonder if my brain is still trying to even out after the Cymbalta and that is why I'm feeling this way? Any thoughts are appreciated. My Dr. really seems to have no interest in the matter and just wants to get me in and out of the office as quick as possible.

Hi there, First, good job on getting off Cymbalta. I just finished tapering off 4 days ago and they have been a little tough with anxiety. It could be a lingering ill effect from the cymbalta but it seems unlikely if this is the only symptom and it has been that long.
I would try the following: tart cherry extract-helps the body produce natural melatonin, Omega 3 fish oil or flax oil, a good multiple vitamin, additional vitamin D3, sublingual B12. The other thing I have found helpful is EFT-emotional freedom technique. Search on youtube for EFT and sleep or insomnia and just try out some of the videos there and you can also google it and check out some of the links.
You should also do some research into what vitamins can help insomnia. Look for some Sleep CDs. I would try to avoid the Ambien since some of those things can be as bad or worse than the cymbalta.
Hope you find relief very soon.
Best wishes,
Elaine

#2 trixie

trixie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to stop cymbalta. On day 4 cold turkey

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

I was on Celexa 10 years ago after a divorce.....I quit cold turkey and didn't have ANY problems with withdrawls. I'm currently on Cymbalta, after going cold turkey unintentionally for 5 days, I'm back on it and going to see a new dr to see how I can get off of this horrible drug. So I do understand how you feel about going on another drug!

Good luck, and yes, sometimes we can create our own anxiety because of our OCD or just over thinking things. Try what Elaine suggested, natural remedies are always a better choice.

#3 Elaine

Elaine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want off CYMBALTA yesterday but am doing a slow withdraw

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi & thanks for the quick responses! Elaine, I started Fish Oil and Vitamin D along with my multi after hearing about all of the mood benefits they offer and I feel that they are working (it's been about 3 weeks). I tried melatonin before bed, but only for about 2-3 nights so maybe I really didn't give it a fair shot. Do you think I should try it a bit longer? I never heard about the tart cherry extract so I will look in to it. I'm also going to Youtube the EFT suggestion tonight and give it a go.
Trixie, I appreciate hearing about your experience with Celexa and it's comforting to know that you didn't have any withdrawals. I am still not sure if I will start it - going to try some of these other things first, I think. I also made an appt. with my therapist (only see him as-needed so it's been awhile) to let him know and to see if there is something really bothering me under the surface.

Again, I just really appreciate the responses. It's just comforting to hear from others who understand!

I would keep trying the melatonin or the tart cherry extract. The cherry really worked for me to restore sleep before I started my taper. I am still getting a good 6 hours sleep even after complete withdrawal and anxiety just waking up too early. I expect this to resolve soon.
This darn cymbalta causes so much fear. Thank heavens that there are people online who will listen and respond. I don't think my friends really want to hear about it anymore or understand how bad it is. For me the anxiety is the worst just now and I have been off for four days after a slow tapering.
Did you have any anxiety as you went off Cymbalta?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users