has anyone tried 5-htp??

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

5-htp (an amino acid) helps some people with withdrawal, you can find tons of info on the internet, good, bad and in between, but please, ask a pro about this. It is the precursor to serotonin an should not be taken until 7 days after you have been off of an SSRI, SNRI. And, if you are not being careful with it, could cause serotonin syndrome.

Without a doctors advice, I would use caution with this one.

I was advised by my new doc and acpuncture person, to take 50 mg 5-htp in the morning, but only if I felt awful when I came off of the second antidepressant I had to get on to get over Cymbalta. Bought some, kept the receipt because I will take it back if all goes well and right now, the 5-htp is still unopened.

I did tons of reading on it, it helps some people, others are neutral and others it does nothing for. Again, you know to research and ask a pro and be careful. It does not seem as 5-htp is as safe as taking a Vitamin C pill.

I have no idea that it works, and there was info out there on the net that ranged from "it helped me get off my antidepressant", to "it didn't work at all."

#3 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

I would agree with that thought, especially if you aren't low in Seratonin to begin with. It seems like we are given these drugs without any testing to see if our levels are even low. I would guess that anyone that does really well on this stuff, probably has a true Seratonin deficiency.

#4 rene

rene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

my seratonin was tested and was extremely low!! but i am not sure how acurated those neurotransmitter tests are . funny though that that the 5-htp gives me the same unbearable headache that the cymbalta and lexapro did.
i only took it one night so not sure if it would have helped anything or not!!

#5 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

I think I just got my answer to a question I left on another thread. I will wait on this product for now......grasping at straws again.

#6 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

The product I have has 50mg of 5-HTP. With it being that low of a dose....I am wondering if it would be safe to take. I took one Saturday afternoon and one yesterday morning. I have not yet taken one today, I am sort of contemplating. The product is by Good Days, The Positive Mood Formula. It also has L-Theanine, Magnolia Bark Extract, Panax Ginseng, and Rhodiloa Roses. I posted this somewhere else but not quite sure where. I realize I have issues dealing with my past, but my panic attacks and anxiety did not get this far out of hand til the Cymbalta came into my life. I just need something to take away the anxiety and I have been calm with this product....but then again it could all be in my head, I have only had two of them. Any advice or comments are welcomed. Do let me take the time thank you guys for putting up with me and my long posts.

#7 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

WOW, I had not taken the time to read that yet, but I had it saved under my favorites. Well, I took another one about an hour ago. I am enjoying how I am feeling. But I give you my word, I wont take anymore, even if I have a bad day tomorrow without it. Thanks again, Greybeard.

#8 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

Just a point here, not that is is my place, but none of us here are doctors. We are all just posting our opinions and experiences with this demon drug.

Lori, GB has a point about 5HTP, it is like any other supplement, even if it is natural, it can still have harmful effects, BUT it may have positive effects as well. Please just do your research and make the right choice for you. It may help for you to go to a health food store and talk with someone there that has some experience with supplements, or see if there are Holisitc doctors in your area. If you are throwing too many things into your system at once, you could end up worse off than you were.

Have you had blood tests to determine what your seratonin levels are? My opinion, and it is just that, is that there is a place for medications to treat depression, whether it be herbal treatments or pharma treatments. The key is, to find a doctor who will actually take the time to work with you, and do a thorough evaluation before throwing pills your direction. The time to make critical decisions is likely not when you are withdrawing from this one, but it is something to keep in mind.

For myself, the only things I was comfortable taking to assist with withdrawal, is the Omega 3 supplement, and the herbal sleepytime extra tea to help me sleep. I only recently added Melatonin, and that is 2 months out. It seems like the least amount of "stuff" in your body, the better, at least to start out with. However, if you are struggling with the rage and emotional rollercoaster to a degree that you feel out of control, please, talk to your doctor if you trust him, or find one that you feel comfortable with. You may need medical assistance here, such as what SarahJ used, with Celexa or Prozac.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, but please, be very careful during this time.

#9 Lori

Lori

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thank you Greybeard and Babby, I am confused and should probably go get my blood tested by my GP. But he is the one who suggested to my mom, for me, the St Johns Wort....but if he can just test my seratonin level for me. I mean, today I have felt so much better. I dont feel the pressure in my chest, I did not have much of an urge to text my boyfriend to find out WHY HE HAS NOT TEXT ME EVERY HALF HOUR ON THE HALF HOUR!!! Stupid things like that. In fact, its pretty funny, since I have not bothered him today, he has bothered me.... :lol: I guess he is not used to me not driving him insane. So I dont know what to do, I have read and reread, read your posts....still not sure about taking another one tomorrow. But gosh my chest feels great!!! No panic attacks today. But God knows, I dont want to cause myself more damage. I am taking Omega 3, not the Dollar General brand but one that is probably not as high quality as yours, Valarian root, a great mulitivitamin, B complex, vitamin E, and every Sunday and Wednesday I take folic acid. I wonder if this is too much right now. I am 23 days free.

I read about the fasting today and I did not eat anything from Thursdays sandwich at lunch time to Saturday afternoon around 2:00, and I ate a hotdog, no condiments, at a birthday party. I wonder if that little bit of fasting, helped some too? BUT the bad thing is, I have had alot of caffine, and I am realizing thats a NO NO!! I have not had much of an appeitite. I get confused when I read that fasting is good, then I read about all the good foods for us and a good eating habit is important.

:lol: at you Babby for apologizing for rambling....evidently you have not read all of my posts from today...LOL

#10 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Lori, the reason I asked about the blood test, is that you are feeling better when taking the 5htp, which may indicate a lower level of seratonin. This is just a guess on my part, but thought I would mention it. :mrgreen:

#11 charlesclemens

charlesclemens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:54 AM

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is a metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan. You may know tryptophan as the agent in turkey that makes you feel like taking a nap after Thanksgiving dinner (in addition to a full belly). 5-HTP is a direct precursor of the important inhibitory neurotransmitter serotonin, which is secreted in response to mood or emotion swings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users