• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 desperatexwife

desperatexwife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    6 year user of Cymbalta/60mgs: forced into withdrawal by divorce & no insurance.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hello all,

I know that I am one of many who are suffering with the side effects of Cymbalta - whether thru getting used to it or withdrawing...my situation is this:

I started on Cymbalta approx. 6 years ago due to nerve pain associated with peripheral neuropathy/degenerative disk disease (non-diabetic). At the time, my neurologist had tried Neurontin (Yuck) and some other med I can't recall right now that were ineffective. Finally, I was prescribed this "wonderful" new drug Cymbalta. I was told that if I could get through the side effects such as dizziness, headache, stomach upset, NAUSEA...etc. that it would be very effective. And guess what? After 2 weeks of extreme nausea I was thrilled to find a relief from pain/burning/stabbing/overall malaise from my condition. I looooooooved Cymbalta!!!

I was never told of potential harmful side effects and there wasn't any talk of what happened if & when you came off it...I just was soooo relieved that I didn't think to ask and frankly, it wasn't offered.

Six years...there were times that I would run low on a prescrip. and try to get by by skipping a dosage and there was a time when I even went into denial & stopped the Cymbalta on my own...THAT is when I discovered how upside down my world became. The more time that went by being on the drug, the less time it took for withdrawal symptoms to kick in when I would miss doses. It was scary how out of control I felt emotionally...much less how quickly the physical pain started in again. So, I promised myself that I would stay on it...the only time I felt bad was when I missed.

Life changed radically for me in 2009 and due to a separation, I was prescribed Wellbutrin to address extreme depression. WOW! This chemical cocktail was great!!! I was able to cope & rebuild my life despite the emotional upheaval & physical degeneration going on. I had by then accepted that I would take this combination forever if need be.

Except, after divorcing this year, I have lost health insurance as of Nov. 30 and cannot afford the Cobra package offered to keep it for 3 years more until I figure out how to establish my own insurance. In short, because of my pre-existing conditions, I can't afford to pay for health insurance & I can't afford the $860 a month on Cobra. On Nov. 28, I ran out of Cymbalta. I have a couple more weeks of Wellbutrin.

Right now I am experiencing the dizziness, the zaps, loss of appetite, fatigue, NIGHTMARES...roller-coaster emotions. I knew it was coming so I went to the health food store after googling withdrawal and got some St. John's Wort, Omega 3, L Tryptophan, Valerian, B-6, Vit. D...etc. My focus is strained. I feel that at any time I could just sit in the middle of the floor and weep!

What is keeping me off the floor: my mantra "you are feeling this way because of the withdrawal, it is not really you and it will pass", lots & lots of water, taking each minute sometimes at a time, STAYING BUSY...

Because I knew what was coming I have tried to be kinder to myself, give myself a break, not overwhelm myself with Holiday anxieties or the future...it could snowball easily if I think about it/dwell on it...so far, I have only had two serious crying spells but one was with a therapist who is helping me through this, the other was at home alone and I "allowed" myself, if that makes sense!

I am determined to survive this...I would like to think that given all I know now in researching information about Cymbalta and Wellbutrin, I would still choose to try healthier ways to heal/help myself but I don't know. I just don't have that choice anymore...so if anyone can give me feedback that can help me be strong thru this fight, I welcome it...

I don't know what will become of my health care - I don't know how I will be able to take care of myself - I do know that I can make it through whatever comes. I have to.

sincerely, K

#2 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to get this toxin out of my body!

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

K....

First off, I am sorry for your situation and being thrown into this tailspin. I am happily divorced going on 9 years. I used the cobra coverage through my ex for the sole purpose of staying on my meds.

I currently am on 400mg of Wellbutrin and 20 of Cymbalta. I had been on 60 and often 90 but have slowly weaned myself down.

If you are in the US I thought that part of the new health care laws prohibited insurance companies from denying you coverage due to pre-existing conditions. I could be wrong but that was how I understood it.

I also know that Eli Lilly (those bastards) will provide assistance with your medication if you need it. I have heard of people receiving weeks of free cymbalta through their doctor. That might allow you to slowly taper down the medication without having to go through these fierce withdrawals. I think the website is "Eli Lilly Cares". How ironic is that? :angry:

As for the Wellbutrin there are generics of it, it's buproprion and fairly inexpensive if you could still afford that.

It's a crappy situation but one that you can get through. You are tougher than you know!
Pam :)

#3 sick of it

sick of it

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    I was on cymbalta for 18 months and it ruined my life

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Sick of it.. here. I will tell you what really hepled me with this awful drug. There is a super juice at your local grocers in the organic isle. Green goodness is the name if this juice. It has many antioxidents and wheat grass that's helps to flush your system faster. The st. Johns was a great I dea. There is another herbal method to help with muscle spasms called Valerian Root. It stinks like feet, but the results are worth holding your nose for a few seconds. High protien was also a big help and meditation or yoga were very helpful and still are. Good luck. I wish u the best.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Dear Desperatexwife:
I never missed a pill in 5 years. I wish I did, so I would be aware, of how I would when quitting.

I am not a doctor, I can talk only based on my own experience and on what I have read on this site on other people´s experiences. Going cold turkey seem to make people suffer severe symptoms. I have weaned very slowly, and yes, I have suffered a list of emotional and physical symptoms, but it seems that they are not as severe as those from people who have gone cold turkey. However, I do not know if I am going to still feel full severity symptoms once I am completely off the med.

Be VERY CAREFUL with adding other pills in particular St. John's Wort, L Tryptophan, and Valerian while you are taking Wellbutrin. Please check if there are interactions first.

Actually I think St John´s Wort has interactions with Valerian and Tryptophan. So be careful. You do not want to make another cocktail. In the case of omega 3 I rather obtain fatty acids from food and not from a pill. You can obtain Omega 3 through fish, soy milk, flaxseeds. B vitamins are good, but in my case they were prescribed by a doctor. I do not like to take things without supervision or knowledge.

If you take a lot of pills at the same time, you won´t be able to know which one is causing the symptoms you are having, if they are withdrawal symptoms or if it is the interaction of them what is causing the unwanted symptoms

#5 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:
    Will be helping my wife detox from cymbalta.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

K-

The advice Cookie gave above is right on. Be extremely careful of mixing any drugs prescription or otc. St. Johns is to be treated like a prescription drug when you are on cymbalta. It can really have a detrimental effect on you brain chemistry. It can alter the seritonin levels, causing serious problems. There is no one detox regimen that works for everybody. Everyone is "wired" a little different. I just went through a two year ordeal with my wife, detoxing from 90mg down to 0mg as of four days ago. Her daily ritual was 1000mg of flaxseed oil, 1000mg of omega-3 fish oil, green gatorade (and all the water she could take), plus taking whatever cymbalta dose she was on at the time. For nausea, she takes Zofran (works wonders), and for the body aches when intolerable, Toradol helped. For body itches, benadryl (pill form) helps.... helps with sleeping as well. I need to inform you that I am not a doctor, these notes are from two years of dealing with this situation. Read as much as you are able, and see what works for you. For drug interaction, try drugs.com (very helpful). Just remember, throughout this, it is the drug that is making you feel bad. Keep in touch with the people on this site as they have been through this. Hope this has been of some help.........

Take care-

Watchdog

#6 desperatexwife

desperatexwife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    6 year user of Cymbalta/60mgs: forced into withdrawal by divorce & no insurance.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

Ohhhh, thank you, thank you all for your feedback & advice! It truly helps to know I am not alone in this battle...

Since my original post I continue to experience more withdrawals, I am going to use benedryl because the itching has become intense! I am going to follow up on each of your suggestions as well - especially in regards to interactions.

Just to clarify my insurance situation, I can get insurance with my pre-existing conditions, I just can't afford it. Cobra or otherwise. I didn't explain that well before.

Hope...that is the greatest thing you all offered tho. I will continue to check in.
I wish you each a blessed evening.

sincerely, K

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users