• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ralinka

Ralinka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am currently weaning off of Cymbalta and looking for support.

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

After a slow withdrawal from Cymbalta over a period of three months, stepping down 5 mg at a time at first and then 1 mg at a time for a few weeks, I have been completely Cymbalta free for about 3 months now and am no longer experiencing any of the horrible withdrawal symptoms I had of brain zaps, mouth numbness, headaches etc. I thought I was home free however, in the past couple of weeks, I have started experiencing night time panic attacks. These aren't nightmares, after being asleep for a couple hours, I wake up in a complete state of panic, my heart racing and my body trembling. I never had a panic attack in my life prior to this. I don't have problems sleeping and there is no additional stress in my life. I can't figure out a cause for this other than perhaps my brain has been scrambled beyond repair by anti-depressants. Has anyone else had episodes of panic attacks subsequent to withdrawing from Cymbalta? Is this a known side effect of withdrawal? Will it go away?

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Dear Ralinka:

You mentioned that you weaned slowly and that you were symptom free until the panic attacks hit.

I am not a doctor but I was a panic attack sufferer 10 years ago.

It is difficult to know the real cause of panic attacks. Sometimes we do have stress, and we do not know it. I now realize that I was overstressed 10 years ago. But stress is not the only cause. Chemical imbalances in brain can trigger panic attacks. I do not know if antidepressants (or the lack of them) caused your panic attacks. Or if it is our brain chemistry that caused it. I do not know if our brains are wired in a way, that sooner or later we get these strange things.

In my case, after 1 year, my panic attacks were gone. Medication helped me at that time, but also exercise, breathing techniques, proper nutrition.

The only advice I can give you is NOT to get scared when you get panic attacks. If you get scared you will trigger other panic attacks or the one you are having will be longer. To me panic attacks are part of extreme anxiety.

I say that maybe our brains are wired in certain way, because I do not get panic attacks anymore, but I get other things L

#3 Ralinka

Ralinka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the input Cookie. The more I think about it the more I suspect there may be underlying causes to this that I am avoiding dealing with on a conscious level. I have had a few stressers in my life lately and I didn't think I was letting them bother me. Perhaps I have managed to shove them out of my conscious mind but somehow I guess they are still affecting me and this is the result. Our brains are very interesting aren't they? I made an appointment with a therapist to see if I could talk this out and also, find a way to to manage it if it happens again.

#4 watchdog

watchdog

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • why_joining:
    Will be helping my wife detox from cymbalta.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

After a slow withdrawal from Cymbalta over a period of three months, stepping down 5 mg at a time at first and then 1 mg at a time for a few weeks, I have been completely Cymbalta free for about 3 months now and am no longer experiencing any of the horrible withdrawal symptoms I had of brain zaps, mouth numbness, headaches etc. I thought I was home free however, in the past couple of weeks, I have started experiencing night time panic attacks. These aren't nightmares, after being asleep for a couple hours, I wake up in a complete state of panic, my heart racing and my body trembling. I never had a panic attack in my life prior to this. I don't have problems sleeping and there is no additional stress in my life. I can't figure out a cause for this other than perhaps my brain has been scrambled beyond repair by anti-depressants. Has anyone else had episodes of panic attacks subsequent to withdrawing from Cymbalta? Is this a known side effect of withdrawal? Will it go away?

Ralinka-

My wife did not suffer from "anxiety" attacks prior to cymbalta. During detox, it would seem an "attack" would be preceded by lack of sleep (quality)and rest. This tends to amplify any given situation, as the sufferer tends to focus soley on the negative situation intensifying the attack. Proper sleep and rest is ESSENTIAL to keeping ones wits about them during this time. Try to focus on the good things, and keep things as light as possible. Hope this is of some help.....

Watchdog

#5 Ralinka

Ralinka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

Thank you Watchdog, my husband has been trying to tell me something along these lines as well...good advice.

Ralinka-

My wife did not suffer from "anxiety" attacks prior to cymbalta. During detox, it would seem an "attack" would be preceded by lack of sleep (quality)and rest. This tends to amplify any given situation, as the sufferer tends to focus soley on the negative situation intensifying the attack. Proper sleep and rest is ESSENTIAL to keeping ones wits about them during this time. Try to focus on the good things, and keep things as light as possible. Hope this is of some help.....

Watchdog

#6 cln1812

cln1812

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTX
  • why_joining:
    have stopped cymbalta cold turkey about a week now, dealing w/ withdrawal symptoms

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Cymbalta withdrawal is a new one for me (going through that right now) BUT

I never had panic attacks before in my life until I was stopped from a veritable cocktail of psych meds in 2005 (Effexor, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Seroquel, I was pretty much a walking pharmacy). One day, the panic attack hit out of the blue, and I thought I was dying or had a brain tumor or something because it was so long and sustained (lots of mini-panic attacks). Finally got diagnosed and used Xanax as needed.

The panic attacks never went away. All the problems I'd had before - major depression, generalized anxiety, anorexia & eating disorders, I'd never had a single panic attack in years of psych/anxiety issues going back to the time I was 5 or 6 years old.

I was on a pscyh cocktail for years - maybe 5 or 8 years, mostly medicated by the county mental health system since I was in college & grad school and had no health insurance and their policy seemed to be to dose you up to the max and send you out a zombie, to zapped of emotion to even care to do anything.

I truly think withdrawal from the psych meds. caused my anxiety disorder to develop into full-blown panic disorder. And it never has gone away (that was what I was on Cymbalta for but since it was zapping my emotions and not really preventing panic/anxiety, I've gone off it - I'm maybe a week cold turkey from 60 mg). And yes, the attacks are worse than ever, but I did go a period of time off meds before & during pregnancy and know I can do it again. I've also noticed my anxiety and panic is very tied up with my menstrual cycle and when my hormones shift at ovulation or when I start my period, I get a marked difference with it (but refuse to go back on birth control pills as that made me even moodier & more panicky).

Things that help - exercise (walking/running), weight lifting, stretching, fish oil/Omega supplements, a good mult-vitamin, but don't overdo it on the B vitamins (even though they are water soluble, I actually got vit. B6 toxicity and that caused some nerve issues that I'm not sure will ever completely reverese), chamomile tea, valerian root (stinks to high heaven!), valerian/melatonin to help sleep too, massage. Yoga I've heard is good for it. And staying off the caffeine and artificial sweetners too. Stress of course never helps it, but there are times you can only do so much about stress depending on the issue (such as if you or your spouse/partner gets laid off and can't find a job) versus the stress of being a stay-at-home mom to a high needs child for me (at least, I've got some power - can get out of the house, go to the park or library if she's whiny).

Sorry in my case the panic disorder appears permanent but like I said, with work, it can be managed off meds (and off meds I've got to be as we want to try to have another baby and there's no way I want to be pregnant and on Cymbalta or any SSRI or psych med if at all possible).

Best of luck to you and I hope in your case the panic attacks will not become permanent.

#7 concernedmama

concernedmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

As my name says I am a concerned mama. My 32 year old daughter took Cymbalta for about 1 year. She started throwing up on a regular basis and dehydrated in February of 2010 and ended up in the hospital. They determined she has gastroparesis. That was a side effect listed. She stopped taking the drug that May. She was literally in bed all of last summer just hoping to get better. The doctor tried to treat her with anti-anxiety drugs, and pain killers for her stomach pain and she has gone another year, and is sicker still. She is in danger of losing her job, of being disabled, or of dying. This all started with that drug. I haven't read all of the threads. I've been a registered nurse for 23 years and have never seen this before. 2 of my colleages, both in their 50's also take cymbalta and have a diagnosis of gastroparesis. They have a very difficult time working consistently. Has anyone had severe stomach problems?

#8 scarbro222

scarbro222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • why_joining:
    going off cymbalta

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

have been off cymbalta for 2 months and had to put myself back on after feelings of going crazy! also thought i was "home free" I was on cymbalta for migraines and never had depression or anything but have MAJOR depression, anxiety, paranoia, etc. its almost like im a drug addict when it comes to this stuff. ITS MESSED ME UP!!! ( see my post under back on after 2 months)

ANYWAY!! what to do????? I HEAR YA!! and i dont know but rest and LOW STRESS if a key but how can you when your mind is telling you things that arnt necessarily true and its stressing you out?? My BRAIN is making me INSANE!!

#9 melleemom

melleemom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

As my name says I am a concerned mama. My 32 year old daughter took Cymbalta for about 1 year. She started throwing up on a regular basis and dehydrated in February of 2010 and ended up in the hospital. They determined she has gastroparesis. That was a side effect listed. She stopped taking the drug that May. She was literally in bed all of last summer just hoping to get better. The doctor tried to treat her with anti-anxiety drugs, and pain killers for her stomach pain and she has gone another year, and is sicker still. She is in danger of losing her job, of being disabled, or of dying. This all started with that drug. I haven't read all of the threads. I've been a registered nurse for 23 years and have never seen this before. 2 of my colleages, both in their 50's also take cymbalta and have a diagnosis of gastroparesis. They have a very difficult time working consistently. Has anyone had severe stomach problems?

I took this awful drug for over a year..I had a gastric bypass 7 yrs ago..this is by far the worse my stomach has felt in years ..also I have been off it cold turkey and have at least 20 of the side effect including rare ones..I have not read that going cold turkey is worse than tapering..the stomach thing is highly annoying and painful..have an appt. this week with a new Doctor..good luck to your daughter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users