#1 DoubleRMom

DoubleRMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    CYMBALTA hatred

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

2 weeks ago I stopped taking Cymbalta. I was on 60mg for 5 years then went to 30mg for 8 weeks, then stopped completely. I have been researching this to death, trying to drill down my experience and get through it as best I can. Let me just say that I am not a doctor, psychologist, or have any training in the medical field whatsoever and my experiences, opinions and methods are my own.

When I went to 30mg, I had a low-grade, dull headache every single day when I woke up in the morning, which I easily remedied by taking 2 Motrin. The only other symptoms I had were what everyone describes as brain zaps. I thought, "this is easy." I could not have been more mistaken. 2 weeks ago, I stopped taking it altogether and as a result I hope I can help someone with my experience and suggestions for a better recovery, for lack of a better term.

When you stop, please do yourself a favor and stop taking it on a Thursday night if you take your pill at night time, or stop taking it on Friday morning if you take it in the morning. I would suggest stopping on an extended or holiday weekend, or if you can use a few vacation/personal days, tack them onto a weekend. You and yours will thank you and you will have a much easier time in the beginning.

If you can afford it, get a full body massage in the first few days as well. This will help you relax when you need it the most. Also, if your insurance allows, get accupuncture - it really helps with brain function. Stay as close to home as possible...I would not recommend going out as loud noises, driving, grocery shopping(side bar: this guy behind me in line was swaying back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I wanted to scream "stop fucking swaying!!", but of course, kept the mouth shut.), having to have erroneous conversations, etc. can prove to be irritating and how great is it to stay at home in your jams all weekend. During this time you will have little patience, your equilibrium will be a bit off, experiencing brain zaps, and this just makes it worse. If you exercise regularly, I would lay off for the first few days then start up again with liesurely walks - getting your heart rate up along with brain zaps can be disconcerting. You will have bursts of anger, but try to realize why it's happening. It's not the THING that's made you angry, it's your withdrawal...take a deep breath, walk away, throw tupperware on the floor(what you really want is to beat the crap out of something), once again, best to keep your mouth shut.

Drink lots of water, take deep breaths, take hot showers/baths, even do a movie marathon to take your mind off your symptoms and feelings of unease (can you believe I watched the first 5 seasons of Rescue Me?). Have a glass of wine or 2 if that's a way for you to relax - or vodka. Eat healthy as best you can - yeah, sure, okay Big Mac and pizza it is.

Here's what I know after 2 weeks without Cymbalta:

-I love not having to worry if I remembered to take it or not, or if I forgot it when I went out of town
-I sleep like a perverbial vampire (a first in 5 years)
-Not that you need to know this, but I have 4-5 BM's a day
-Lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks without doing anything differently
-I have regular crying jags, but I kind of don't think this is a bad thing since my emotions have been capped off for so long
-You will have the brain zaps, but they occur so often they become like white noise
-I have clearer thinking
-I want to eat less food
-Cymbalta sucks the high hard one

Again, these are only my experiences and suggestions, but perhaps it will help 1 person. Had I known then, when I first started taking Cymbalta, what I know now, I would have found an alternative.

#2 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to get this toxin out of my body!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

Not that you need to know this, but I have 4-5 BM's a day

That made me laugh! Thanks for the smile today. :P :P

Good luck in your future without Cymbalta. I was on for 5 years too..........

#3 DoubleRMom

DoubleRMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    CYMBALTA hatred

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

That made me laugh! Thanks for the smile today. :P :P

Good luck in your future without Cymbalta. I was on for 5 years too..........

I'm just sayin'. Glad I could make somebody smile...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users