• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ariel08

ariel08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

I quit Cymbalta back in January. The physical detox symptoms were gone in a few weeks.

I think I'm still dealing with the mental - the violent anger and irritability, the suicidal thoughts, apathy and lethargy. The anger and irritability, especially, are very much unlike me.

My living environment has not been very helpful. I crave silence, and peace, and instead get random ear-shattering blasts from the trains that run less than 100 yards from the house.

I've started packing to leave. My husband is dragging his heels on getting serious about the process. I would like to leave with him, but I can't take this much longer. I talk, and scream, and yet I don't think he gets just how badly this is messing with me.

When I'm able to meditate, most of the time I'm able to find some peace, as long as I'm not disturbed.

Now my husband wants me to go BACK on meds. I told him I would never voluntarily go back on meds, and that's still true. I will move out on my own before I descend back to that hell.

Did I mention that I will be looking for a new job sometime in the next few weeks? That's always one of the BEST times to start taking psychiatric meds. :roll:

- Ariel

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Ariel

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=223

Please take a look at the above post, and ask any questions that you may have. The individuals that tried them have been really good about sharing their experiences, and if it would give you relief, then it may be worth it for you.

Also, have you tried any supplements such as Omega 3? These are just a couple of things that come to mind, but you can find some relief. If you try the Prozac, or Celexa route, those are not long term therapies, but seem to "reset" the brain chemistry for those that used them.

Please, keep us updated on how you are doing.

Babby

#3 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Ariel - my last day of Cymbalta was Jan 13.

I had to go to another antidepressant to "reset" my brains. Just needed to jump start the brain chemistry again. Hated to resort to it, felt like I had failed, but being on the other side of it now, sorry I waited so long to get the much needed support. Day 46 off, I was in mental hell and felt like there was still lots more "bottom" to discover.

Was not functioning, I'm self employed with a business I have built up over the past 11 years. Had to do something or else risk losing everything.

Not the right option for everybody - but going for additional medical help saved my butt! I honestly think that what Cymbalta turned off in my brain chemistry was not ever coming back on without some help.

15 days now off of the other antidepressant - 102 days off of Cymballta.
Also started acupuncture, which I know helped me get off of the second antidepressant quickly.
Emotionally stable and functioning, happy, sleeping - back to a life I thought I would never reclaim.

Let us all know how you are doing - hope that you find some peace in your mind/life soon.

#4 krisldrn

krisldrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

To Sarah J:
Don't mean to be Nosey, but do you mind saying what new antidepressant you changed to? Did you experience any withdrawl symptoms when you went off like these from cymbalta?? I have taken other meds too in the past but, went from one to the other and never had any problems, but maybe because I never really "detoxed" from my system, I stopped one, and started the other... but, I think I need to start something else too, and just wondering what you changed to, what you opinion of it was, and if you noticed any libido problems :P

Thanks

#5 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

krisldrn - I am off of what I switched to already and was not on it long enough to really have any problems.

Because I was taken off of Cymbalta cold turkey (my old doc said this was the way to go) I really believe that my chemistry could not figure out how to restart. Knowing Cymbalta takes 6 weeks to "work" in your body, I did not expect things to be a free ride or easy, but six weeks in, I was not feeling better like the other people who were posting here. Not even close.

On the other anti, came off really quick, right after the second dose drop - I had this day where I felt my brains turn back on. That was what I needed, my brains to begin working again! So I am not taking antidepressants now. The withdrawal from that one was very uneventful, but I knew what bad withdrawal was, and coming off the second anti was fairly painless and over quickly.

Sent you a PM with the details. Hope that whatever you decide to do works well. Let us all know how you are doing.
Can't say that weaning Cymbalta would have produced the same results, because I was not given that opportunity.

#6 tired08

tired08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

I am another one who vowed to never ingest another anti depressant but 10 weeks out I was still not feeling normal or functional. My primary care doctor knew nothing about what he had done. I 've been to the emergency room twice, probably from my own stubborness and refusing to go back on Cymbalta. I finally went back to my PCP at SarahJ's suggestion and he put me on a low dose of Celexa. I was having such anxiety that that wasnt working. It only intensified the anxiety. I finally saw a psychiatrist last week and she has me on ativan which is real scary for me because I know it is addictive but i could no longer stand the racing pounding heartbeat. Prayerfully she knows what she is doing. She also is weaning me off of the celexa, I only have 5 more days of that at 10 mg but I've been taking a little less than 10 each day in hopes to avoid any kind of withdrawal from that and I am taking Wellbutrin. Nothing real positive to speak of yet but I'm hopeful. Don't feel like you have failed if you need something to help you with this. I was feeling that way and others on this fourm let me know that I was ok and it was the drug that was the problem and although I back where I didn't want to be(on an anti depressant) I know in the future when its time to come off that there are much better ways to do it. My heart and prayers go out to you. It's not an easy battle but you can win.

#7 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

I am totally new to this and may be posting in wrong area, but I'm going to give it a shot....

After being on cymbalta for 6 months, I got suicidal thoughts, agitation over everything, crying all the time, etc etc. Oh, and by the way at this point I have not had a job in 2 months and no insurance. Guess what? Psych won't return calls.

Anyway wound up in 72 hour holds twice in 2 weeks. I am 51-not a child, teenager or young adult as so many anti-depressents can cause suicidal thoughts in those age ranges. What about us older folk? Know what? I came home after the 2nd mental health hold and threw everything out! Well everything being Cymbalta and any old meds I still had laying around. I'm NOT suicidal anymore, I'm not depressed anymore, but what I have going on is physical issues I never had before. Extremely painful joints, muscles and fatigue. Been tested for RA, potassium levels and a whole host of other crap.

Has anyone heard of these type of physical symtoms after stopping Cymbalta or any other supposed anti-depressent? HELP!!!!!

#8 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Yep, my body aches were tons worse after being on it, and then being off of it. Check out my post in Nutrional Support on Vitamin D. Just a thought.

#9 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

My physical pain didn't start until right after kicking the evil nasty habit. I have been doing tons of my own research on coping and helping the discomfort of joints and muscles. Have been for about 3 weeks now. Have decided that going the natural route is best for me. I don't have much faith in the medical world that is basically out to make the all mighty dollar and not help people who need it. It is amazing to me how a person who is without a job or insurance or money can't get a friggin' doctor wether him being my PCP or psych to return calls to answer simple questions. But I'll bet as soon as I have money or insurance they will be returning my calls. To late for them! But how sad for me and others........ :mrgreen:

#10 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I didn't have body aches at all before taking Cymbalta, but I do have them now. I'm hoping that since I have a deficiency in Vitamin D, that the prescription for it will help. That is my hope anyway.

#11 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:48 AM

I hope that the vitamin D Rx helps. I have been taking vitamin D, Potasium and now an all herbal natural suppliment aimed at joint/muscle pain. Oh and lots of water. Now I'm up half the night peeing. I posted earlier that I felt that the natural suppliment may be working, but it is now 1:30 am and just got out of a hot tub because of the joints. Now I am munching on a pop sickle to cool my inside off. Can't sleep if I'm hot. All I can say is UGH. :cry:

Mary

#12 bunzies

bunzies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

i am at 3 1/2 weeks since my last cymbalta--before that was weaning off of it for about 2 months--am feeling a lot better now than i have, however now i have this horrible anger, irritability, and hate towards myself--not like me, although i've always had the self hate--i read somewhere about heroin withdrawals being the same as cymbalta withdrawals, but cymbalta withdrawals have got to be worse (withdrawal from heroin does not include 'brain zaps', and a few other things)--i've been getting really pissed off at stupid things, i mean really angry--how long will this last--does anyone know? my dr. put me on wellbutrin to help, but maybe i need a higher dose, or a different dr.--has anyone tried wellbutrin when withdrawing from cymbalta? would prozac be better? i can usually have a positive attitude and use positive self talk to help myself in situations, however lately i seem to have no control--anyone else feel like this? there are all kinds of detox programs for street drug addicts--why is there nothing for people who take this nasty disgusting medication? --oh yea--for those of you who are experiencing pain in your joints, etc., now that you're off the cymbalta, i never had joint pain until after i had taken cymbalta for a couple of years, then started having horrible pain everywhere--now that im off of it, the pain has gone away--i've been soaking in hot epsom salts baths (it draws the toxins out), exercising outdoors again (something i stopped doing when on cymbalta) and am trying b-12, and folic acid, which are good for nerve and brain health---whether or not this will help, i dont know yet, but hopefully--i think cymbalta poisons some of us--i even started getting funny bumps on my skin that are hard--it occurred to me that people on street drugs get these--anyhow, i feel like i've lost 3 years of my life to this med., and wouldnt recommend it to anyone--

#13 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:39 AM

Hi Bunzies! Welcome! I never ever had muscle and joint pain until I went cold turkey from Cymbalta, now it is an everyday fight. But it's weird, mentally, I have not felt this good in 3 years. It took me 2 weekends last month winding up at local hospital for 72 hr mental health holds. I came home after the 2nd visit (how enjoyable-NOT) and threw everything and anything that had to do with "antidepressent" out the door. But the physical pain is unbearable at times.

I am taking pain pills-but just enough to take edge off in a.m. when it is the worst and again at bed time. I started epsom salt baths today. You might try potassium, B-12 and I think of what else. Tomorrow I am starting a detox program for 14 days. When I say detox program I don't mean like in a nice little serene place where everyone holds your hand. I'm talking about a natural homeopathic system that cleanses your system of all toxins. I am hoping this will assist in getting rid of pain and few other minor issues.

I've also gained a ton of weight since taking Cymbalta and one before that whose name I can't recall. So going to get rid of the excess baggage (no not the husband-he's deceased) and see if that doesn't also help reduce the pain I'm having. It has to.

What ever you do as far as the mental part..........do not, I repeat do not take St. John's Wort. It has some of the same compounds in it as do many of the anti-depressents. You might check with doc about something mild for anxiety. That could be what is going on as well.

Well, enough for now.

G-Nite

Mary in gorgeous Colorado :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users