• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cstrommer

cstrommer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

For those of you just starting down this path, I thought I'd drop back in and let you know my emotions are fine now and I'm feeling quite normal. So, it is an uphill battle, but not a super long one. Hang in there. The light is at the end of the tunnel. :P

#2 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Thanks so much for letting us know. Glad that you are feeling better as well.

It does feel great to be able to be a human again!

#3 tired08

tired08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

I'm truly happy for you. I'm glad your battle didn't last too long.

#4 mkhackler

mkhackler

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

Ok. Be patient with me here. Going to be a little sarcastic, BUT NOT AT ANY OF YOU, OK? :|

This is day, uhm, trying to remember. Stay with me. Got to look at a calender. Ah-ha! 21 days!!! Worst day yet today.....mentally. Actually have only had a couple of times where I cried a little (but they were normal ones, not depressed tears), other than that nothing bad mentally. Physically I hurt like the :twisted: And here I thought I was beating this. Silly me......

So, please please please, understand, as I am now and after people on here have warned me the deamons do raise there evil little heads up. I just posted on something on another sight that I read about withdrawal. I will post it again.

The Effects of Antidepressant Withdrawal and Getting Through It!
By Heather Michelle, published Jun 27, 2007
Published Content: 128 Total Views: 329,715 Favorited By: 39 CPs
Contact Subscribe Add to Favorites
Rating: 4.8 of 5Currently 4.80/512345 Font Font
There is so much talk these days about antidepressants. The pharmaceutical market is flooded with potentials. Doctors have little idea which medication or combination of medications is going to be the right fit for each individual. That makes it a trial and error process. Some will help with the mood disorder, but will have side effects that make it impossible to continue taking. Others will have little to no effect at all. It is like magic when the right medication is found and the world feels brand new again.

There are two potential problems that can occur even when these medications are working. The first is that the antidepressant makes the person feel as if the depression is gone, as if they can carry on their life without taking it. This is often false. It is the antidepressant that has altered the state of mind and made the person feel better. Most people will go off their medication cold turkey when they decide they are fine.

Secondly, people build up a tolerance to medications over time. This is true with antidepressants. Those old feelings may begin to creep back up but are not as intense. This causes worry and a trip to the doctor to try a new medication.

These antidepressants are not narcotics. They are supposedly not addictive, but when your brain is being fed a steady stream of serotonin for several months or years, and then that disappears, what will happen?

Antidepressant withdrawal often presents like the flu. There can be fever and chills. There is usually nausea. There can be diarrhea and vomiting. It is deceptive. What the pharmaceutical companies are not telling the public is that this withdrawal escalates. It can cause a complete relapse and even suicidal thoughts. When someone is in so much pain physically and mentally, they just want it all to end. This can last several days or even weeks depending on how long the person was on the medication and how long the medication stays in the body.

Nobody should have to go through this. If someone chooses to go off of their antidepressants, then they need to consult their doctor. They can wean off of the medication gradually. This usually prevents the onset of withdrawal.

I hope I am as optimistic in 7 weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users